Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
Bholiday

Model: 9860
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default BES Web administration service - page cannot be displayed

Please Login to Remove!

I recently encountered a problem that I couldn't find a whole lot of documentation on so I figured I'd post my experience in hopes that someone having a similar issue would find it.

In trying to reach the web GUI for blackberry administration (BES 5) I was greeted with a 'page cannot be displayed' message.

Did the usual troubleshooting - make sure the blackberry services are all started, made sure the SQL instance was started, tried to access the page locally on the BES server, restarted the blackberry services, and rebooted the BES server.

I then proceeded to dig a little deeper, and found that BAS-AS.exe (blackberry administration service - application server) was using very little memory (30Mb compared to a few hundred.)

In trying to troubleshoot why, I found that no BBAS-AS_xx_xxxxxxxx logs were being created so finding out why this service is acting up was a bit of a challenge.

Located the BAS-AS_err.log file (c:\program files\RIM\BES\BAS\Jboss\ejb\bin) and in the BAS-AS_err.log the following information was given:

Code:
[Fatal Error] cluster-service.xml:136:23: XML document structures must start and end within the same entity.
Error encountered while starting server: Existing configuration files seem to be corrupted.
Located the file in question (c:\program files\RIM\BES\BAS\jboss\ejb\server\default\deploy\ cluster-service.xml) and noted that the file has been truncated and the file ended with an unfinished comment of
Code:
<!-- RmiPort to
In an effort to get things up and running as quickly as possible I ended the comment, closed the <mbean> tag, closed the <server> tag and saved the file.
Code:
<!-- RmiPort to -->
</mbean>
</server>
I then restarted the blackberry services and waited a minute for the BAS-AS.exe process to get to a normal memory consumption.

Everything seems to work fine, but when I have a free minute for some down time I'm going to replace the cluster-service.xml file with a proper, un-truncated file.

hope this helps, and if anyone has any comments, questions, or suggestions please feel free.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors
Default Re: BES Web administration service - page cannot be displayed

interesting fix, thanks for sharing it
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Closed Thread