BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 09:49 PM   #1
roboman123

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default just got my curve, a few Qs (yes I searched)

Please Login to Remove!

Hello all,

first of all, a few notes this is my first BB, ever. So far there is very few things that I don't like about it and many things that I love about it.

#1, is there a way to check which applications are running? It seems the move I open up apps and close them the slower the BB seems to get. The proper way to close them is by going to the menu, scrolling to the bottom and clicking close (I assume)?

#2, is there any navigation/map that says out loud the turn-by-turn directions? I downloaded google maps, but thats just where you click 6 for the next direction. I was hoping for more something like a GPS. Follows you off the path, and recalculates the path if you did. (hopefully a free app to)

#3, any way to get the phone to ring and vibrate at the same time? Mine will vibrate, then ring, vibrate again, then ring....but not both at the same time?

Thanks in advance!

-roboman123
Old 09-11-2008, 09:58 PM   #2
hnsimpson
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8130
PIN: pm me for it
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (8310 AT&T)

1- alt and escape
2- garmin
3- I dunno

-simpson

-Young MC
Old 09-11-2008, 09:59 PM   #3
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

There is no vibrate and ring at the same time.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:18 PM   #4
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930

1. To see the application that are running, press the Menu key from the Home Screen and select Switch Application.

2. You might try Nav4All - but for more than just occasional use, it's advisable to get a dedicated GPS unit.

3. There's a third party application call Vibe And Ring that will do what you want.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:41 PM   #5
roboman123

Thanks for all the answers.....but I'm going to say that everyone is wrong about #1. Here's why......shut the phone off, then turn it back on. alt+escape or switch application (same thing) displays many applications, none of which I used since I turned the phone on. These apps are more for convience is my guess....try it, mine has at least 5 apps listed after I turn it on which I didn't use (Gmaps, broswer, BB messenger, etc).

Yeah, I figured there wasn't much for the nav thing - I like how the Instinct from Sprint does navigation (pretty much how I explained it).

Thanks Motorcycle Mama for the app, I'll give it a try.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:07 PM   #6
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Joined today, have 2 posts and you're telling everyone they're wrong?

There are always 5 applications that run on startup and stay running and will show in the application switcher. Homescreen, browser, mail, phone and BBMessenger (if installed.) Other apps may show if you've installed others that are programmed to run on startup. If you open other applications and then use the red phone button while running them, they will stay running and will show up in the application switcher. It's not recommended to do too much of this as you can use a lot of memory leaving applications running in the background.

I use TeleNav for the GPS application. Works great but not free.

Last edited by John Clark; 09-11-2008 at 11:08 PM..
Old 09-12-2008, 12:05 AM   #7
roboman123

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Joined today, have 2 posts and you're telling everyone they're wrong?
Not really telling them they're wrong, just questioning them further. People don't learn if they aren't challenged. (sorry if I came across *****y if I may have)

That doesn't make any sense for BB to have the browser, Gmail, Google Maps, and the Call log to start up, among some of the others that start too. That means it just utilizing memory that I would rather have elsewhere.
Also, you're saying Google Maps starts up since it's in there when I first turn my phone on. But when I open Google Maps, then close it the proper way it still shows up in the Switch Applications list....why is that? I just closed it, it shouldn't be running at all. It's running 24/7 whether I like it or not?

Btw - just challenging you and everyone else here, cause that really makes little sense why some of these would start up.

And thanks for the heads up about the GPS navigation app, I may give it a try.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:19 AM   #8
barbwyr
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310

Some 3rd party apps run themselves in the background for faster access when calling upon them. This makes perfect sense for a mapping program as one would not want to wait forever for the app to load when you are in need of directions for that meeting you are late for. Call Log runs in the background so it can catch incoming calls... would you want to wait to answer the call untill after the app loads so you can know who it's coming from? Gmail runs all the time since it's always checking for mail. You see the common theme here? It's for speed of access and some apps even when "closed properly" will still run in the background for good reason. And yes you are coming across as less than grateful of the assistance that's being offered.

I like GoogleMaps myself because I don't like paying for a mapping app but no there is no audible turn by turn on it. TelNav I believe offers it but as John said it is not free.

Last edited by barbwyr; 09-12-2008 at 12:21 AM..
Old 09-12-2008, 12:44 AM   #9
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Google maps doesn't run at startup for me. However, Google Maps doesn't close with the escape key. You have to hit the menu key and then "Exit." Then it will close completely. The others are doing as they are designed.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:32 AM   #10
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboman123 View Post
Thanks for all the answers.....but I'm going to say that everyone is wrong about #1. .....
WOW! Wow, I'm stunned at that response.

Again, WOW!

Good luck.

Last edited by Motorcycle Mama; 09-12-2008 at 06:35 AM..
Old 09-12-2008, 08:24 AM   #11
roboman123

After starting up the phone the first time and running an app that is started up by default, it takes much longer to startup than an if it had just opened it and closed/minimized it (not completely exiting). Also, upson startup, Gmail is not open though it's in my start up. B/c I do not receive my email alerts until I open up gmail for the first time (after waiting for it to load).
And it doesn't make sense for the mapping app top be running all the time if you ask me. Wait forever is an exaggeration, it does take a minute but that's not going to make or break anything.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:31 AM   #12
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

PIN: t low

ok, well you're right.

**thread closed, it's going no where**
Closed Thread