Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 09:12 AM   #1
JLPPPP

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Default 9800 Battery

Please Login to Remove!

I purchased 9800 last week. I have completely charged the battery many times. I make sure apps are turned off in the background, I turn off 3G, turn off wifi, turn off data, turned off bluetooth etc. I turned off the bb, went to bed and in 5-7 hours, battery completely drained. Any suggestions? Or should i expect that it will drain and keeping it plugged in at night be a must? Doesn't seem like battery should drain that quick with nothing running? I have also deleted apps I do not use. I have quite a bit of media loaded, but is resident on 8G memory card and not bb. Any suggestions?
Old 04-26-2011, 09:29 AM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Default Re: 9800 Battery

Maybe this will help:

From our FAQ:Maximum Battery Life - BlackBerryFAQ

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!

Last edited by Dubdub; 04-26-2011 at 09:32 AM..
Old 04-27-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
thebamafan

Carrier: AT&T

Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
I'm having the same problem. I have had Torch since January. My battery would easily make it all day and part of the next for the first month and a half. After that it started lasting only 5 to 6 hours. Since then I have bought a new battery, new charger and deleted all my apps. Still acting that way. When it lasted more then a day I had wifi, bluetooth and gps on all of the time and it didn't adversely affect the battery. Now I have stopped them, but it isn't helping.

My OS is at Bundle 695. Is anybody aware of possible battery issues with this OS?

Also as I said earlier, I have deleted all of my apps, is there anything that could be doing perpetual syncing that could be causing this problem.

Note - I have read the faq. Nothing as helped. Thx.

Last edited by thebamafan; 04-27-2011 at 12:57 PM..
Old 04-27-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebamafan View Post
I'm having the same problem. I have had Torch since January. My battery would easily make it all day and part of the next for the first month and a half. After that it started lasting only 5 to 6 hours. Since then I have bought a new battery, new charger and deleted all my apps. Still acting that way. When it lasted more then a day I had wifi, bluetooth and gps on all of the time and it didn't adversely affect the battery. Now I have stopped them, but it isn't helping.

My OS is at Bundle 695. Is anybody aware of possible battery issues with this OS?

Also as I said earlier, I have deleted all of my apps, is there anything that could be doing perpetual syncing that could be causing this problem.

Note - I have read the faq. Nothing as helped. Thx.
It is considered bad manners to hijack another user's thread.

Do you have a 9800 as in this post or an 8310 per your profile? Please update your profile if you now have a 9800.

You must have a data intensive app in the back ground - facebook, GoogleMaps, browser, etc. Have you tried a battery pull?

-->>Twitter

Old 04-28-2011, 12:50 PM   #5
thebamafan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
It is considered bad manners to hijack another user's thread.

Do you have a 9800 as in this post or an 8310 per your profile? Please update your profile if you now have a 9800.

You must have a data intensive app in the back ground - facebook, GoogleMaps, browser, etc. Have you tried a battery pull?
I apologize if you consider this to be a hi-jacking. I have the same problem he has on the same device, and I felt I could add some more thoughts to the problem since I have had my Torch longer. Yes, I do have a 9800. I mentioned Torch in my post. I have been using BB Forums Mobile which does not allow profile updates. I'll take care of that. Thx.

Now as for the app comment, I stated in my post that I deleted all of my apps, and I still have the problem. Facebook, Google Maps, etc. are included in "all of my apps".

Since I have deleted all my apps and did get a new battery, is there anything in the OS that could be doing intensive syncing or something else that would drain the battery. I keep Location, WiFi and Bluetooth turned off.

Here is my OS information.
BlackBerry® 9800 smartphone (3G, Wi-Fi)
6.0 Bundle 695 (v6.0.0.246, Platform 6.4.0.105)
3G Bands 1,2,5,6

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:55 PM   #6
thebamafan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLPPPP View Post
I purchased 9800 last week. I have completely charged the battery many times. I make sure apps are turned off in the background, I turn off 3G, turn off wifi, turn off data, turned off bluetooth etc. I turned off the bb, went to bed and in 5-7 hours, battery completely drained. Any suggestions? Or should i expect that it will drain and keeping it plugged in at night be a must? Doesn't seem like battery should drain that quick with nothing running? I have also deleted apps I do not use. I have quite a bit of media loaded, but is resident on 8G memory card and not bb. Any suggestions?
If it is only a week old, are you still within the warranty period that allows you to get it replaced? Maybe you have a defective phone.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #7
Dubdub
Appleinator

Agree with the above. See if you can exchange it. I ran .246 for a long time before going to .526. Mine will run about 2 days between charges, but I always keep it plugged in while in the office.

-->>Twitter

Old 04-28-2011, 01:14 PM   #8
Dubdub
Appleinator

thebamafan,

As for hijacking, it is tough enough to keep track of the answers to one person's problem and help get it sorted. Add another, even if it is similar, it can be too much. Always best to start a new thread if the similar one doesn't help you.

-->>Twitter

Old 04-29-2011, 06:05 AM   #9
davemack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Just for FYI to the OP for comparison purposes, I am still running .246 on my Torch which is about six weeks old now. I haven't added any apps but I haven't shut too much off either. I don't keep Bluetooth on but my location service is always on along with my WiFi. I just checked and my battery is at 45% and this is starting the third day without charging it. Hopefully, you can find something running that shouldn't be.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:34 PM   #10
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
thebamafan,

As for hijacking, it is tough enough to keep track of the answers to one person's problem and help get it sorted. Add another, even if it is similar, it can be too much. Always best to start a new thread if the similar one doesn't help you.
Someone **** in your Wheaties today or something? The poster said he had the SAME problem and described what he had already tried to solve it. That's good info for the original poster too. If no one with the same problem is supposed to comment about it in an existing thread, we'll have a whole lot more redundant threads, and not nearly as much help for people. I bet half the threads in here have comments similar to that. That post wasn't even close to a "highjacking" which is when someone tries to start talking about a DIFFERENT topic than the thread was started about.

Last edited by DallasFlier; 04-29-2011 at 05:35 PM..
Old 05-05-2011, 08:05 AM   #11
thebamafan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLPPPP View Post
@JLPPP - Do charge your phone only when it is fully discharged or do you "top it off" like the FAQ mentioned? I'm asking because recently I started charging my phone very frequently - while sitting at my laptop, in the car, etc. I was doing this primarily to make sure it didn't go out on me when I need it. As I have said in an earlier post, my phone wasn't making it 5 hours, but after a couple of days of "topping it off" like the FAQ mentioned, my battery is lasting longer. I can leave it off the charger overnight now and it still has a good charge in the morning. It seems what is mentioned in the FAQ should be stated as a requirement for good battery life not just a recommendation.

I haven't re-installed any apps yet. I'm going to give it a couple more days, but this seems to be the way to go. I'll post again if I see a big change either way.
Closed Thread