BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: Do you like the idea?
Yes 31 40.79%
No 29 38.16%
I think you're crazy and or addicted to blackberrys 16 21.05%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 08:02 PM   #1
Figment
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700C
Carrier: TMO
Default Rim 850/950, bring it back?

Please Login to Remove!

I have this "thing" I guess you could say for the 850/950 series, I like the size and layout. I'd like to know everyones thoughts on such a device IF there was an updated model produced by RIM.

BTW I'd personally rather have two devices so I can talk on one and type with the other simultaneously...... I hate being interupted by phone calls when I'm all ready doing something on the phone.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:20 PM   #2
dolo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon, Cingular

My first blackberry was the 950 that I used for an older job. It was IMO the best of all the blackberrys!

Regards,
dolo
Old 11-17-2005, 02:29 AM   #3
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

It you hate being interrupted, buy the 5790. It is a data only BlackBerry that runs on the old Mobitext network.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:45 AM   #4
cchatagnier
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g
Carrier: tmo

Those older models were great. I didn't care about the lack of a color screen. They were not top heavy like the current models. It would be nice if they would come out with a modern version of it using one of the cellular networks instead of the slower and weaker 9.6K Mobitex network. I still have one at my desk and refuse to get rid of it, as I show people "where it all started".

Current - 8700g TMO
Previous - 7280 AWS, 7730 TMO, 7290 TMO
Long ago - 950 model (still have it)
Old 11-17-2005, 09:43 AM   #5
dolo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Verizon, Cingular

hahaha,

I have one sitting in a box collecting dust :(

PC
Old 11-17-2005, 09:50 AM   #6
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolo
hahaha,

I have one sitting in a box collecting dust :(

PC
Me too.... from SkyTel.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:01 PM   #7
rjharary
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Droid
Carrier: Bell South

More people seem to like the idea than not, but how many of those would really go backward? I know people (me) who say they like the screen on the 7290 better than the 7100 but do i wish it had that old screen? I'm not so sure...
Old 11-17-2005, 02:04 PM   #8
Boy Genius
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: FFFFFFF
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment
I have this "thing" I guess you could say for the 850/950 series, I like the size and layout. I'd like to know everyones thoughts on such a device IF there was an updated model produced by RIM.

BTW I'd personally rather have two devices so I can talk on one and type with the other simultaneously...... I hate being interupted by phone calls when I'm all ready doing something on the phone.
If you hate being interupted and have a seperate phone just forward all calls to your voicemail, or to your main cell phone line, thats what I do...

The Boy Genius Report
Old 11-17-2005, 02:08 PM   #9
zma
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 7520: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry7520/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

BG...exactly how many phones do you carry at once?
Old 11-17-2005, 03:44 PM   #10
DanMan
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 3015cb8b
Carrier: Telus Mobility

Why? you'd be using a ton of double A's and worse of all the dreaded blackberry thumb!
Telus Mobility
BB 8703e
Old 11-17-2005, 05:24 PM   #11
Figment
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700C
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
It you hate being interrupted, buy the 5790. It is a data only BlackBerry that runs on the old Mobitext network.
I'm not about to switch networks, that's why I was wish RIM developed an updated version to run on current cellular networks as cchatagnier previously said. I can deal with the phone for now until I have some money to spend on a new device.

I don't think everone is getting me on the updated version, I'm talking updated like color screen, bluetooth, quadband gsm, edge, etc like all modern blackberry devices but in the same form factor. To be honest I'm probably going to pick one up on ebay for a few bucks just to play with.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:45 PM   #12
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
You can use the newer BlackBerries as data-only devices. Just tell the carrier to disable (block) phone service on them. Then you won't get any incoming phone calls. It'd behave like a fancy newer 950. You'd be able to use a separate cellphone. Yes, this requires two cellphone plans, but this isn't too much different from having a mobitex (950) plan and a cellphone plan.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 11-17-2005, 08:11 PM   #13
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Priv
Carrier: T-Mobile
Lightbulb

Quote:
I'm not about to switch networks, that's why I was wish RIM developed an updated version to run on current cellular networks as cchatagnier previously said. I can deal with the phone for now until I have some money to spend on a new device.

I don't think everone is getting me on the updated version, I'm talking updated like color screen, bluetooth, quadband gsm, edge, etc like all modern blackberry devices but in the same form factor. To be honest I'm probably going to pick one up on ebay for a few bucks just to play with.
If you're really serious about buying another 950, click the link in my signature. I have one that I'm selling. Only thing you'll need for it is a data/syncing cradle and the standard BB 950 OS to load on it. That'll make more sense once you click the link and read that topic.

So, if you're serious about wanting one, make me an offer via PM.

Don't steal other people's avatars! Make your own! >=(
Old 11-17-2005, 09:32 PM   #14
PCW
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Talking They were easier to type on, too

My first RIM device was an 850, which operated on the Motient (formerly the ARDIS) network. I was going through AA batteries like crazy (the 850 has a two watt transmitter).

I traded the 850 for a RIM 950, which operated on Cingular's Mobitex network (formerly the Bell South Wireless Device - BSWD network). The transmitter was only one watt, and my battery consumption improved DRASTICALLY.

Then I progressed to a 7230 (T-Mobile), and now my trusty 7250 (Verizon), which I am attached to at the hip. I love it too much!

BUT, I would love to see RIM re-introduce a modernized 850/950 series device, with an improved display (color?) and feature set. Anybody who has used these devices would probably agree that the QWERTY keyboard was easier to type on, because of the somewhat wider span. The size of the device was handy, too. And rugged? Never had a problem, although I've read of others having drop/breakage experiences with theirs.

Like the previous poster (Figment) I like the idea of having a separate device for data. It's good for redundant backup communications, should the primary device or network fail (assuming you have two devices on two different networks).

Anyway, I'm all for reintroducing the 850/950 series. RIM????
Old 11-17-2005, 11:45 PM   #15
writergal
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Pearl
Carrier: Rogers

Why would you want two plans???!! I think it's silly to have a phone and a Blackberry....that is all.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:03 AM   #16
guinda35
CrackBerry Addict

Model: z10
Carrier: att

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
You can use the newer BlackBerries as data-only devices. Just tell the carrier to disable (block) phone service on them. Then you won't get any incoming phone calls. It'd behave like a fancy newer 950. You'd be able to use a separate cellphone. Yes, this requires two cellphone plans, but this isn't too much different from having a mobitex (950) plan and a cellphone plan.
Yeah Mark, but the 950 is compact, and has a better keyboard layout, IMHO. If they were remade with color screens, and all the other non-phone refinements of my 7290...cool!
Old 11-18-2005, 09:20 AM   #17
headtailgrep
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 950
Carrier: robbers

A silly concept. The market forces do not want the 850/950, not to mention the numerous discoveries and enhancements in todays devices since then..

if you REALLY like an 850/950 just buy one and use it, consider yourself lucky you can still activate one of these..

Although they were small, and used the AA battery, i HATED the screen on the device. I'm glad to see them go..
Old 11-18-2005, 07:06 PM   #18
PCW
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

headtailgrep said...
Although they were small, and used the AA battery, i HATED the screen on the device. I'm glad to see them go..

And I'm saying:
That's why the comments in several of the previous posts suggested an improved display, perhaps color, which would be a nice improvement to a very popular device.

There is a market for users who don't need or want the phone and/or PDA features. Such a device would meet the needs of alot of users.

And having a backup device on another carrier makes alot of sense for a variety of reasons, and for a variety of users.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:39 AM   #19
emerald37

Model: 950

i have a rim 950, what provider still activates this device, tell me the process it takes to get this activated please.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:42 AM   #20
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

If you have a 950 (still working) you must call RIM to have it activated. It runs on the Mobitext network.
Closed Thread