BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 09:50 PM   #1
GeneAlexander
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel
Default i need an emulation, port, or even a whole new program!

Please Login to Remove!

ok, so i am a blackberry noob. i was formerly diehard palm os, but i am loving the blackberry platform more and more each day.

so now that i got that out of my system.

when i ran palm, i had this program that is very rare and is unheard of for blackberry. but this program was very important in my profession and it helped me tremendously. i need this program, or one that performs the same function.
i was wondering if an emulator existed that would allow me to run this palm based program on the blackberry. or if there was a way to "port" the program to a java based program that would run on the blackberry.
heck, at this point, i would even pay someone to write the software for blackberry.
any info is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:01 PM   #2
b00st3d
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

what does the program do? maybe there is something already out there that is similar.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:15 PM   #3
GeneAlexander

i highly doubt it.

the program is a loudspeaker enclosure designer. it helps you design properly tunned subwoofer enclosures. i design and build them for car, home and professional use.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:42 PM   #4
andrebsd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703
Carrier: MetroPCS

Well its not really much of a direct solution; but what you can do is run a palm emulator on your pc; then with your blackberry (using VNC) you would remote desktop the pc and use the emulator that way. It would be slow, but short of remaking the program, it would work.

I do it quiet often to my mac at home, (my pc is a notebook, so that unit is normaly with me) it's quite cumbersome to work with; but it does the job when you absolutely must have something that doesn't run on the blackberry directly.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:15 PM   #5
arconsulting
Thumbs Must Hurt

If you have the source code to your Palm app and it was written in J2ME (unlikely), you should be able to port it to the BlackBerry.

Otherwise, you will need to rewrite the app.

>> heck, at this point, i would even pay someone to write the software for blackberry.

If you can get me a copy of the Palm PRC, I can give you a better idea of what would be involved.
BlackBerry consulting and development (RIM SI Partner)
Old 11-30-2005, 09:50 PM   #6
GeneAlexander

Explain "PRC" in dummy terms please
Old 12-01-2005, 06:32 AM   #7
arconsulting
Thumbs Must Hurt

A "PRC" is Palm's extension for executables. Like EXE for Windows and COD for BlackBerry.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:18 AM   #8
GeneAlexander

Default i hope this can help

here is the site where the program can be found for free download. the zipped file is only 45k.......
i hope that this can help you to help me......

http://www.palmblvd.com/software/pc/...6-palm-pc.html
Old 12-04-2005, 10:59 AM   #9
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

The BlackBerry software 'problem' --

Gene, you should contact Aric. He's a reputable BlackBerry programmer. It may not be cheap but if this program is important to your business, then it may be worth it.

I know users who have paid a good penny (3 figures, 4 figures and 5 figures) to pay for a utility to be ported. Don't forget you might end up paying the full time salary of a dedicated programmer for several weeks, that can get very expensive. Sometimes a program takes only a few hours to do, others take months or years to do (this looks like a one-week type of program, give or take a few days, assuming you manage to license the original source code - I could be totally wrong, but it doesn't look like it would take many months for this one!)

Don't forget to contact the original author of the NAOS SpeakerBox program, to see if the original source code can be licensed - if you tell them they can keep the profits of a BlackBerry version, you might be able to get a discount on the source code licensing. In rare cases, you may get the deed done for free -- but this looks like a niche market program, so you're unlikely to get that much of a discount, so be prepared.

Other users with important businesses with a sufficient budget, who are desparate to get a program on the BlackBerry can contact a BlackBerry developer or small business speciallizing in BlackBerry development. We could always use more software on BlackBerry - even though there is well over 1,000 programs for BlackBerry and rapidly growing.

Software catalogs need to be improved. For example, there are almost 10 different calculators, including scientific and business calculators already for BlackBerry, but they are almost impossible to find -- and most people think the builtin calculator is the only calculator available for BlackBerry. Same goes for lots of other categories of software, so make sure a better wheel has not been invented yet. (However, I doubt that a speciallized speaker enclosure design program has already been designed for BlackBerry)
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 12-04-2005, 03:42 PM   #10
southwestcomm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Many
Carrier: Sprint

We design Blackberry apps all the time. Email me directly for pricing quotes.
[email address]
Old 01-10-2006, 05:59 PM   #11
GeneAlexander

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7100i/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/103 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3 UP.Link/5.1.2.16)

Mark R, I emailed the southwestcomm contact from the previous reply. I sent them all of the info they requested. Then two weeks later, I resent the info to them incase they did not receive it the first time. It's been over a month now and no response. Is southwestcomm the aric person that you suggested? Or was it someone else? I am still waiting on a solution.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:43 PM   #12
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

As I understand it, southwestcomm and aricconsulting are completely different forum members. I don't think you ever contacted aric - use the email address at the arconsultinginc.com website IN his own ("aricconsulting") message, NOT the email address on BlackBerryForums in the southwestcomm message.

Also remember spam filters have a tendancy to be a little overeager these days (false positives).
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 01-10-2006, 06:43 PM   #13
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by arconsulting
-- Aric Rosenbaum
BlackBerry consulting, BlackBerry development
www.arconsultinginc.com
No, Aric is not the same person you sent your email to. He is the person who responded to your message in responses #5 and #7.

Doug
Old 01-10-2006, 08:46 PM   #14
southwestcomm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Many
Carrier: Sprint

Gene,

I replied to your Email last week. I did show your request to our main programmer and he was not interested. Sorry you did not receive the reply.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:10 AM   #15
GeneAlexander

oh ok. thanks anyways for trying!

i'll try the arc consulting guy.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:07 PM   #16
arconsulting
Thumbs Must Hurt

Gene,

You can contact me directly at [email address]. We have extensive expertise in the design and development of custom BlackBerry apps.

I took a brief look at the app you would like to build. The key issue is the necessary formulas. In your email, please let me know if you have access to this info.

Mark - Thanks for the vote of support.

-- Aric
Closed Thread