Old 06-01-2006, 08:17 AM   #1
tommy.hanks
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290
Carrier: AT&T
Red face Browser-Channel Push

Please Login to Remove!

Hello everyone,

I was recently asked to come up with a creative solution for distributing my company's emergency call list to key personel. One of our developers suggested doing a Browser-Channel push to the Blackberry devices that contains a list of the people and their information. From what I understand the push stores the content in the Blackberry's browser cache and puts an icon on the main screen so that you can access the content that is in the cache. My question is, how long will that content last? Because if worst case scenario, our BES server is down I we won't be able to push the content again in case that cache expires.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 06-01-2006, 09:32 AM   #2
fbrimm
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Hi Tom,

According to the RIM documentation, you determine when it can expire. If you do nothing, it will expire in 12 hours.

If you search the RIM site you should find a document called Advanced Browser Development-Developing Browser Push Applications that should answer most of your questions.

RIM also has a nice article in their Developer's Journal that includes a demo app for experimenting with broswer push.
http://www.blackberry.com/developers...lication.shtml

fbrimm
Old 06-08-2006, 02:12 AM   #3
KrunchBerry

Model: 8320
Carrier: tmobile
Default Big Problem

I have an 8700c. I inadvertently deleted my entire web browser while attempting to delete another third-party application. In doing so, I deleted my Cingular browser, Web browser and the other program that allows you to create email addresses. Would you be able to help me get these restored on my device?
Old 06-08-2006, 02:22 AM   #4
EricaJ1074
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7105t

In application loader, there is a checkbox that you need to check in order to reload the browser. Then after that is done, go to Options>Advanced Options>Host Routing Table>Register Now and resend the service books which will also resent the Download Fun, Enterprise Activation, Setup Internet Email, and Browser icons.

Then go to your carriers site, and resend the service books to be able to send/receive email again.

Not familiar with browser push but someone else might be.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:43 AM   #5
tommy.hanks

Talking

Sorry it has taken me so long to follow this up. After much trial and error I have finally done it. I have created an application that pushes out my company's emergency contact listing. With fbrimm's hint of the cache timeout period I was able to do a little more research about the issue and complete a process that will push content that will stay on the BlackBerry until I want it off. I don't know how many of you out there actually use Visual Basic, but it is the standard development platform at the company I work for, so my code is in that language. The most important part of the code as far as I'm concerned is the part that sets the headers of the data being pushed, so I have included them in this post.

Code:
Request.Headers.Add("Content-Location", "ECL")
Request.Headers.Add("Expires", Date.Now.AddDays(30).ToString)
Request.Headers.Add("X-RIM-Push-Title", "Emergency Contact Listing")
Request.Headers.Add("X-RIM-Push-Type", "Browser-Channel")
Request.Headers.Add("X-RIM-Push-Channel-ID", "ECL")
As you can see there is a header that is called "Expires", complicated stuff. All I have done is set the expires date to be 30 days after the current date, which would be the day that the content is pushed. You can set this to whatever you want, I just thought that 30 days would be a nice number, that I could get behind. My boss thought it was nice too, so there you go. If anyone would like to see any more of the code that I wrote for this little application just let me know, I'm more than willing to share.

Thanks,

T
Old 06-19-2006, 01:35 PM   #6
bbmann5k+

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Could you send me the VB code for this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy.hanks
Sorry it has taken me so long to follow this up. After much trial and error I have finally done it. I have created an application that pushes out my company's emergency contact listing. With fbrimm's hint of the cache timeout period I was able to do a little more research about the issue and complete a process that will push content that will stay on the BlackBerry until I want it off. I don't know how many of you out there actually use Visual Basic, but it is the standard development platform at the company I work for, so my code is in that language. The most important part of the code as far as I'm concerned is the part that sets the headers of the data being pushed, so I have included them in this post.

Code:
As you can see there is a header that is called "Expires", complicated stuff. All I have done is set the expires date to be 30 days after the current date, which would be the day that the content is pushed. You can set this to whatever you want, I just thought that 30 days would be a nice number, that I could get behind. My boss thought it was nice too, so there you go. If anyone would like to see any more of the code that I wrote for this little application just let me know, I'm more than willing to share.

Thanks,

T
Old 06-19-2006, 01:43 PM   #7
tommy.hanks

It's on its' way!
Old 06-19-2006, 02:05 PM   #8
bbmann5k+

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default another question

Quote:
It's on its' way!

What version of .NET are you using?
Old 07-27-2006, 07:47 AM   #9
tommy.hanks

I'm using VB.Net 2005.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:58 AM   #10
jjay2456

Carrier: Rogers

Do you need a BES in order for this to work?
Old 01-16-2007, 11:27 AM   #11
dcpuser
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Hey all,

I hate to ressurect an old topic but I am having difficulty getting my pushed ECL to stay on the handheld after 12 hours. The link to the article on blackberry.com mentions nothing of eliminating the cache timer. I've also tried the above method by adding this line into the BrowserChannelPusher.java file and it still doesn't work.

This is what the code looks like:

{
String urlBase = _props.getWebContextRoot();

con.setRequestProperty("Content-Location", urlBase + "/ecl.html");
con.setRequestProperty("Expires", Date.Now.AddDays(30).ToString);
con.setRequestProperty("Content-Type", "text/html");
con.setRequestProperty("X-RIM-Push-Title", _props.getChannelName());
con.setRequestProperty("X-RIM-Push-Type", "Browser-Channel");
con.setRequestProperty(
"X-RIM-Push-Channel-ID", urlBase + "/ecl.html");
con.setRequestProperty(
"X-RIM-Push-UnRead-Icon-URL", urlBase + "/ecl_unread_icon.gif");
con.setRequestProperty(
"X-RIM-Push-Read-Icon-URL", urlBase + "/ecl_read_icon.gif");
}

The bold text is the line I added. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by dcpuser; 01-16-2007 at 11:30 AM..
Old 01-16-2007, 04:12 PM   #12
tommy.hanks

I have no knowledge of Java syntax, I know the code sample that I posted was in VB.Net.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:54 PM   #13
dcpuser
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Tommy, thanks. Can you tell me where you got the VB sourcecode from or was this an app you coded yourself? I'm a total newbie with this.

EDIT: Oh nevermind, I see that you created the app yourself. Is there a template you followed to build this or can you point me in the right direction on how? I'd like to do the exact same thing with the ECL.

Last edited by dcpuser; 01-17-2007 at 04:56 PM..
Old 01-17-2007, 04:55 PM   #14
tommy.hanks

I coded the above myself.

the new head <dot> net: Visual Basic .NET Archives

There is some rough code that I put together a while back. Maybe that will help.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:03 PM   #15
lacity

Model: 7100T

Hello, we have run into a similar issue as this. Could you send me the VB code for this? We would appreciate it!

Quote:

Code:

Thanks,

T
Old 02-02-2007, 09:41 AM   #16
tommy.hanks

the new head <dot> net: July 2006 Archives

The above link contains a post I did on my website. In that post is the source code to an early version of my BlackBerry MDS class library that I wrote. Hopefully that should be sufficient for you to get a good idea of how to do what you want to do.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:37 AM   #17
balaji6969

Model: 8700
Carrier: airtel
Red face code for pushapplication

hi
Can i get full code in java for http push demo.Or please mention a good link for this.
Regards,
Balaji.K
Closed Thread