BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 02:14 PM   #1
AndyCanfield

Default Bluetooth [Yep! It's extendable!]

Please Login to Remove!

I have seen mentioned here and there in Blackberry adds that the Blackberry 4.0 OS has bluetooth. I have also seen it supports MIDP 2.0. Does this mean that I can use the javax bluetooth packages? If not from a midlet can I use the blackberry API to make a connection to any bluetooth enabled device not just headphones? I'd like to make a Bluetooth connection and then email the info from that connection. I know I can do the e-mail part can I also do the Bluetooth part.

Next question if bluetooth is enabled and I make a bluetooth connection can I also make and mds connection or will this get flagged as split pipe?
Old 01-15-2005, 03:51 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

BlackBerry 4.0 does not add BlueTooth. BT is available today on the 7100 and 7290 series - and they run v3.8. And it is for audio/headset. Only. BT is not available on any other BlackBerrys, no matter what the OS. Forget about data transfers or split pipes or frozen pipes or anything else unless RIM decides to enable anything but audio.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:09 PM   #3
AndyCanfield

So the info here that the 7520 also has bluetooth is wrong then?

http://www.blackberry.com/products/b...erry7520.shtml

Looks like it's voice only Bluetooth also though if it does indeed have Bluetooth.

D@mn that sucks if it's only audio. MIDP 2.0 supports bluetooth as an addin. If OS 4.0 supports full MIDP 2.0 then we should be able to get the packages and use them. However I haven't seen anywhere that says whether or not Blackberry OS 4.0 fully supports MIDP 2.0 or only a subset. From what you are saying then the 4.0 operating system must only support a subset of MIDP 2.0 then.

Can anyone confirm this and or let me know if or when they plan on fully supporting MIDP 2.0 and the JSR-82 addin API's?

Java docs for the bluetooth API's are here:
http://www.bluewired.com/bluetooth/d...api/index.html
Old 01-15-2005, 07:28 PM   #4
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Sorry - I forgot about the 7520 (I don't use Nextel).
Old 01-30-2005, 08:01 AM   #5
jrobison153

Default Definitive Bluetooth Answer

So let me get this straight. Even if I have a 7290 device, which supports Bluetooth, I cannot develop an application using the RIM APIs that connects me to another Bluetooth device? For example I would like to write a Blackberry application for the 7290 that will connect me to a Bluetooth wireless Point Of Sale printer. Please tell me this isn't the case. If this is the case can someone explain why it is?

Thanks for any info.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:55 PM   #6
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

It isn't so. Sorry.
The BlackBerry does not support full Bluetooth. It only supports audio/wireless headset.
At this time (and this is only speculation that it will ever happen) you can not transfer any data at all over the Bluetooth connection. Audio only.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:30 PM   #7
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

NJBlackberry,

That's true, in term of an end-user point of view.

From a developer point of view, I can confirm that it can be a near-full Bluetooth stack -- it's the BlackBerryOS that doesn't support it, in major part due to the government wanting Bluetooth to not to be a security problem. (The USA Government is a major customer of BlackBerries.).

There are API's that allows Bluetooth BlackBerries to work with external Bluetooth GPS units (I have heard of work from two independent sources that successfully linked to an external Bluetooth peripheral such as a Bluetooth GPS -- so it CAN be done, assuming you are one of the privelaged few with access to the right API's).

I am still reminding a few people that I want Bluetooth keyboard support. Keep tuned.

Wild guesstimate is Fall 2005 before an OS update will permit a few limited Bluetooth extras such as external serial/keyboard devices. (Knock on wood.) BlackBerry Enterprise Server will contain a switch to kill this support, so the government is happy. I MAY be wrong on this, but you heard it from me that there _is_ talk going on.

Others, do not give up on Bluetooth. Contact your RIM contact and demand the feature, request the API's, get to Level 3, escalate, whatever. It's there somewhere behind the scenes. I confirm that it IS doable but the limiting factor will be RIM. Hopefully it'll become crytsal clear later this year. :D

There ARE Bluetooth serial API's in BlackBerryOS. I've seen the function names from multiple sources. It's there. Yes, it actually exists. No, I have no ability to use them in your own programs just yet. No, I don't think your $100 signing key will get access to these super-protected API's (But I am not 100% sure -- but you should give them a try.)
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 02-22-2005, 07:29 PM   #8
rwatt

I bed to differ that OS 4.0 can only use audio bluetooth. I have been developing GPS software for OS 4.0 since June 2004 using a BT GPS receiver. Works fine on my 7290, 7100. I have heard it even worked on a 7520 (but not the interal aGPS).

As for the question at the beginning of this post, the answer is yes! If you make a BT connection using the Connector class and a connection via MDS it will be flagged as a split pipe and your app will crash with an exception. I am trying to get help from RIM to fix this and will let you know what comes of it.

Your $100 signing key will get you access the device.api.bluetooth apis.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:49 PM   #9
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Google "BlackBerry Bluetooth GPS" and search result #2 is:
http://www.redskymobile.com

Yep. Bluetooth GPS units appears to work on Blackberry! They seem to have succeeded. It's still a work in progress, nothing downloadable just yet but here's a very nice image:

Old 02-23-2005, 08:42 PM   #10
sergeyd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmobile

Seems there are people doing some BT development here, may be you can clarify this for me. My understanding is that there is an implementation of BT serial profile in 3.8 and 4.0, so things like GPS, barcode scanners etc can work in addition to BT audio profile for headsets.

My understanding also is that keyboards are covered by HID (human input device) profile, along with mice. Since this profile is not implemented yet, the regular BT keyboards cannot be used with a BB currently.

Am I wrong?
BlackBerry Handhelds
Old 02-23-2005, 10:32 PM   #11
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

sergeyd, sent you a PM.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:00 PM   #12
AndyCanfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
Google "BlackBerry Bluetooth GPS" and search result #2 is:
http://www.redskymobile.com

Yep. Bluetooth GPS units appears to work on Blackberry! They seem to have succeeded. It's still a work in progress, nothing downloadable just yet but here's a very nice image:

I have had a GIS mapping app with location stuff on the Blackberry for over a year now. The part I lack is the internal GPS ability. So if it's possible for 7520's now I can finally do real-time positioning. Up until now the user has had to enter a coordinate into a form and then the location is marked on the map. However if I can use the internal GPS I can do a real-time update thread so their location updates as they move. Now I just have to convince my boss that he wants to upgrade our employees from the 7510 to the 7520.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:55 AM   #13
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

No, that's only for external Bluetooth GPS -- i.e. connecting a BlackBerry to an external Bluetooth GPS unit similiar to those pictured at http://www.gpspassion.com

As it stands now, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to retrieve the position updates from the GPS chip built into the 7250 or 7520.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:06 PM   #14
rwatt

Actually there appears to be a very easy way to get the position data from the built in aGPS of the 7520. However you need to have the 7520 simulator as as you all know it doesn't come with JDE 4.0.

There is apparently an API only available for the 7520 that allows you access to the internal aGPS. RIM hasn't seen it fit to release the 7520 simulator as of yet. I imagine if you are a partner you would get it.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:02 PM   #15
mauiboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobison153
So let me get this straight. Even if I have a 7290 device, which supports Bluetooth, I cannot develop an application using the RIM APIs that connects me to another Bluetooth device? For example I would like to write a Blackberry application for the 7290 that will connect me to a Bluetooth wireless Point Of Sale printer. Please tell me this isn't the case. If this is the case can someone explain why it is?

Thanks for any info.
I need some help. I'm writing a BlackBerry Bluetooth printer driver. I have it printing nicely with 7100g, 7100t, 7520, and 7250. My problem is that I want to read data back into my driver "getting printer status to make sure the printer is ok" but can't seem to figure out how to do this.

I'm a beginner programmer period. I spent hours to get to this point. Anyone know how to read Bluetooth SPP data ?
Old 01-09-2006, 08:06 PM   #16
cwolf

Model: 7250

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauiboy
I need some help. I'm writing a BlackBerry Bluetooth printer driver. I have it printing nicely with 7100g, 7100t, 7520, and 7250. My problem is that I want to read data back into my driver "getting printer status to make sure the printer is ok" but can't seem to figure out how to do this.

I'm a beginner programmer period. I spent hours to get to this point. Anyone know how to read Bluetooth SPP data ?
mauiboy,
Sorry, I don't know the answer to YOUR question, but you say you've gotten the 7250 to print via Bluetooth?? Not using the ContentBeamer?

Would you mind letting me know how? I've been trying for a while now....

Chris [email address]
Old 01-09-2006, 11:02 PM   #17
mbay2002
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Is there anyway to get BB Desktop Manager / Device Manager to work with non Microsoft (i.e. WIDCOMM) BT stack???

Problem stems from Microsoft BT stack only being available on WinXP SP2...
Old 01-10-2006, 12:17 PM   #18
simon.hain
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: o2

I can confirm the availability of Bluetooth/SPP on our 7290.
Actually we have a BT-connection to a barcode scanner ready and working (we are selling applications using it and developing further ones).
I have also connected a Bluetooth GPS mouse and parsed the GPS-Data on a 7290, this will be included into future products.
We have a working bluetooth printer.
There are also some other BT-related projects in development or planned.

from a developers point of view there is much to explore in this area as most devices support the SPP.

unfortunately i am currently involved into other projects, i'll try to answer basic questions though.

gs
simon
Old 02-02-2006, 02:36 PM   #19
Logan6

Model: 7520

I also have a BlueTooth Scanner from Flick working on a 7520 since November 2004. At the time the 7520 hadn't been released and the scanner driver was still in Beta format.

BB Case Study with BBH
Old 03-09-2006, 09:47 AM   #20
troy

Model: 7290
Carrier: Vodafone
Default Font Formatting

Hi,

I can print my emails using Bluetooth to a Bluetooth Printer using BlackBerry 7290. Now, I would like to format my text. I want the fields like "From", "To" ... to appear in Bold Text when I print them. Ho can I do this. Is this something to be done on the printer side or blackberry side. Waiting for your replies,

Best regards,

Soh
Closed Thread