BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 07:25 PM   #21
Green Cart
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

Please Login to Remove!

Compose Email by both SRA and Mark when brought up on my BB 7250 shows SMS mode on my BB7 250, not the e-mail.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:27 PM   #22
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Cart
Compose Email by both SRA and Mark when brought up on my BB 7250 shows SMS mode on my BB7 250, not the e-mail.
This happens on some BlackBerries. I think it has to do with service books and ordering of items in it, but I am not 100% sure. Unfortunately, there wasn't an easy way to override this behaviour (using older 4.0 API's anyway). There may be other API's, especially with newer OS's, that allow forcing which compose screen to be displayed.

On most other Blackberries, it shows as a Compose Mail screen.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 10-20-2006, 11:24 PM   #23
white8785
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8703
Carrier: sprint

i notice with the 8703 it's defaulting to an SMS screen, if you type an email address, and hit enter it asks you if you want SMS or Email. If you choose email it continues as an SMS.

Is there any way to fix that, cause I used your compose, and quick note with my 7520 and love 'em.

8703 and loving it!

Want 8703 for .99 cents? pm me (no i don't sale them)
Old 02-03-2007, 10:16 PM   #24
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Unfortunately, it is a known bug with CDMA devices running OS 4.1 -- it might work if upgrading to OS 4.2.... (which is not yet available for many BlackBerry devices).

There is a way to specify SMS/Email in OS 4.2, if someone wants to update QuickCompose to support this method. Basically the use of MessageArguments.ARG_NEW_SMS versus MessageArguments.ARG_NEW but there's no way to differentiate between the two under OS 4.0 and 4.1 ...

PHP Code:
// Attempts to invoke the blank Message Compose screen built into the BlackBerry
// Unfortunately, this does not work properly on CDMA BlackBerry models which insist
// on composing an SMS message, on BlackBerryOS 4.1 devices (bug on 4.1 CDMA devices)
// Future versions of this code for BlackBerryOS 4.2 could select between email and SMS, 
// based on the information at:
// http://www.blackberry.com/developers/journal/sep_2006/invoke.shtml?CPID=OTC-devdec06-14
// NOTICE: This is a SIGNED API CALL
Invoke.invokeApplication(Invoke.APP_TYPE_MESSAGES
                        new 
MessageArguments(MessageArguments.ARG_NEW)); 
Old 02-03-2007, 10:48 PM   #25
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Updated QuickNote to Version 1.2:

- Enable/disable font antialiasing
- Add ability to easily increase/decrease font size using trackwheel. Hold right SHIFT key while spinning trackwheel to instantly change font size. Also accessible in the menus too. This is useful if I am typing notes for somebody else in person (sight impared) and I need to enlarge font size for them to read from my BlackBerry screen.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:20 PM   #26
masterra

Model: 7250

Mark:

This might not be the right thread to talk about it, but i want to ask you something.

I recently (read: yesterday) updated to a 7130e from a 7250. As i'm sure you know, the 7100 line does not have the full keyboard. And apparently, they also do not support many shortcut keys from the home screen. You also cannot turn off the Dial From Home Screen feature, like you can on the 7200.

I can kinda get around this by using the theme BB Dimension-Zen, which has a little application launcher that it automatically links with the soft key, however i don't much care for this theme, and not everything i would like to work works.

So.. What i would like to do is write a small program that is just an application launcher. That is, i would map my soft key to it, and once it loads i could hit any key and it would start a built-in application based on what i hit.

Looking at your code for the QuickNote utility, it looks like writing a small app is pretty simple (and i do have some Java experience). My question is, will it be hard to find how to open each of the built-in apps, and maybe some other installed apps? I'll do my best to read through the API tonight, but i thought you might have some insight right away.

The lack of good shortcut keys is driving me nuts!

Thanks in advance!

Ra
Old 02-08-2007, 09:43 PM   #27
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Heya Mark,

I took a peek at the 4.2 API, specifically BlackBerryMemo. Would I be correct in assuming there's no way to create and save a new memo without signing the code? (the obvious idea here was to add saving the clipboard as a new memo on exit)

here's what I was poking a stick at:
RIM Device Java Library: Interface BlackBerryMemo
Old 04-16-2007, 07:01 PM   #28
jtdarden
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8xxx
PIN: member2393
Carrier: Sprint Nextel
Default Enterprise Messenger

Mark,

First of all, let me say. . . you are the freaking man!!!!

QuickNotes is one of the simplest and best apps that I use hourly.

Here is my sob story now:
Recently, my BES Admin pushed out the Enterprise Messenger, which works just like Office Communicator, but on the Blackberry (another really HUGE application). The downside to this application is that the default quick launch key that the app takes control of is, you guessed it, the letter 'q' .

What are the chances of being able to edit this. I am not a developer/code guy, so I wouldn't know where to start. The last time I checked, no applications are using the 'z' key as the shortcut.

Thanks.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:41 PM   #29
zerofill
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

Mark,

Thanks so much for the source and even more so for your documentation in it. This will really help as I learn how to develop new programs. I took a few java courses in university and now it's a good time to start brushing up again

One quick question though, could you help me point out the area where you set C and Q for your hotkeys? I want to try to develop an app that you can assign hotkeys just like PocketDay.

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2007, 05:19 PM   #30
BBFlunkie
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

QuickNote.
Very cool.

Thanks
Closed Thread