Old 10-09-2007, 03:18 PM   #1
1fish
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Bold
PIN: Ummm... No?
Carrier: AT&T
Default Upgrade From 3.6

Please Login to Remove!

We are still running BES 3.6 (stop laughing) with 9 users and considering upgrading to 4.1. I have done a bit of research, but still have a few questions...
  1. Are my 3.6 existing CALs transferable to 4.1? (I didn't see the answer in the BES Licensing Thread)
  2. Given that we have waited this long, should we just wait a little bit more for 4.1.5 - which according to RIM is due out on Dec 3
  3. Aside from the 4 'extra CALs' is the Express Edition the same thing as SBE (Small Business Edition)?
  4. Does anyone have any advice on the whole upgrade process? (I've already taken notes from the Checklist for upgrading BlackBerry Enterprise Server software version 4.0 to 4.1 and Best practices for installing a BlackBerry Enterprise Server service pack on RIM's site)

Thanks!
Old 10-09-2007, 03:28 PM   #2
ladydi
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-mobile

Are you on SBE right now? You will probably just want buy the upgrade to 4.1 SBE. I don't think your current CALs will work with xpress.

As for waiting for 4.1.5 - that's a moot point. it just means SP 5. They should be coming out with BES 5.0 around May 08, you might want to wait for that. BUT, with only 9 users, it will probably be the most cost effective to buy tx2 support and then you get the 5.0 upgrade for free. That's what I did when I went from 3.6 to 4.0 with my then 9 users.

If you anticipate getting more than 15 users in the next year, go for the gold and upgrade to Enterprise. There is no difference in the version other than how many CALs can be added.

Unfortunately for you, coming from 3.6 you will have to enterprise re-activate all of your users (you won't have to do that in the future when you upgrade) so you can take whatever upgrade path sounds best to you.
BES 4.1
Old 10-09-2007, 04:36 PM   #3
1fish

I always *thought* I was running SBE - but wanting to be sure I took a quick look at the server and I don't see anything that says Small Business Edition. Anyone know how to definitively determine if you are running SBE?
Old 10-10-2007, 02:39 PM   #4
amukhey
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Also another quick question, I dont want to assume but are you an exchange shop? and or what version are you using?
Old 10-10-2007, 02:41 PM   #5
amukhey
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

this thread should help you...If you know / have some knowledge on how or who applied the software:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/bes-...ng-thread.html
Old 10-10-2007, 08:09 PM   #6
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

Quote:
Does anyone have any advice on the whole upgrade process? (I've already taken notes from the Checklist for upgrading BlackBerry Enterprise Server software version 4.0 to 4.1 and Best practices for installing a BlackBerry Enterprise Server service pack on RIM's site)
Yeah, don't read the 4.0 to 4.1 upgrade; the 3.6 to 4.1 upgrade is a whole different ball of wax.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:21 AM   #7
1fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by amukhey View Post
Also another quick question, I dont want to assume but are you an exchange shop? and or what version are you using?
Yes, we are an Exchange shop. Exchange 2003
Old 10-15-2007, 11:05 AM   #8
1fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by amukhey View Post
this thread should help you...If you know / have some knowledge on how or who applied the software:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/bes-...ng-thread.html
I had taken a look at that and didn't see anything about determining which version of BES we have. It does, however, help with the CAL question -
Quote:
If you have an SBE or Express Edition BES you will need SBE CAL's, and if you have an Enterprise Edtion BES you will of course need Enterprise CAL's

...Regardless, I just found original box that the software came in and it says SBE (Wow, one would really have thought that was an easier method! - especially since I couldn't find anything in the GUI that says SBE)

I guess my next question is since I have SBE now can anyone come up with a good reason why I should upgrade to 4.1 SBE instead of just going to Express?
Old 10-15-2007, 11:09 AM   #9
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

9 users ... I'd try to wipe (upgrade the HH OS), apply DST patches, and install a new 4.1 BES Express server.

It'd give you a new / fresh environment and would probably be less work than the upgrade. You could even do it phased where you do one device at a time.
Closed Thread