Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 08:23 AM   #1
LRM
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel
Default Inbox subfolders and outlook rules

Please Login to Remove!

I'm using BES 4.0 Exchange 2003, Outlook 2003 and blackberry 7520. Several users have rules set up in Oultlook to move email once it arrives in their inbox to a sub folder in their inbox. The result is that they can view the email in the subfolder in Outlook but not on their backberry. However, if they manually move the mail into the subfolder they are able to see the mail on the blackberry.

We are not using any desktop software and would like to avoid installing it. Is there any reason why a rule moving mail to a subfolder would cause them not to see the mail item?

I apologize if this is the wrong area to post this question, but any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 05-20-2006, 06:05 AM   #2
LRM

No one but me has seen this problem?
Old 06-02-2006, 12:07 PM   #3
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107

ITS NOT possible. You'll only see the folders ; regardless if hide filed messages is Yes/No ... you will NOT see any emails. Seeing the folders is an indication of the messge being filed. lets hope higher memory BB's (i.e. 128MB+) along with BES 4.2 allows this.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:40 PM   #4
LRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagga
ITS NOT possible. You'll only see the folders ; regardless if hide filed messages is Yes/No ... you will NOT see any emails. Seeing the folders is an indication of the messge being filed. lets hope higher memory BB's (i.e. 128MB+) along with BES 4.2 allows this.
Thanks! I'm glad I wasn't losing my mind
Old 06-14-2006, 09:45 AM   #5
syngian

Model: 7130e
Carrier: cingular

you can go into the blackberry and go into folder redirection and select those other folders where rules are forwarding the emails to from outlook. this will allow you to see them on the blackberry even if they are moved.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:10 PM   #6
Tolan

Model: 7290
Carrier: Rogers

If you have a message rule that moves a message into a folder outside of the inbox folder tree it will stay on the Blackberry. The BES can only see folders associated with the inbox fodler tree of Exchange. It cannot see personal folders .pst/archives folders.

I had users that had message rules that sent the messages as they arrived into personal folders or subfolders. As a result the were not seen on the Blackberry because they were filed.

The best way to see what a Blackberry can file to:
go to Messages> click in track wheel > select View Folder

This will show you the enviroment the Blackberry can file into and see.

Lastly if they delete a message on the desktop it goes into the deleted folder. if they clean out their deleted folder VERY quickyl afterwards the Balckberry will not see that and the deleted message from the inbox will remain on the Balckberry. Thus an orphaned message will be created.

if they file directly to their .pst (personal folder) from their desktop inbox it will not be moved on the Blackberry.

If a message is deleted off the Blackberry it is deleted.. gone.. never to be seen again. It does not go into the deleted folder for the BB needs to clear up space. RIM assumed that since you deleted it why would you want it? If you did you can fish it out of your deleted folder on your desktop.

Message rules can wreak havoc. I watched one rule wreak havoc. Here is what happened:

Message rule was setup to file from the inbox to an archive folder to save mailbox size.

It became a race between the BES and the server to show the message on the Blackberry. After the reconciles some hit the Blackberry and some did not. It was all a matter of timing. If the BES saw the message before the client-side message rule hit then it was delivered to the device. If the client side rule hit BEFORE the BES saw the message it never showed up on the Blackberry. There was issues with looking into the subfolders on the Blackberry because the BES never saw some of those messages thus they never hit the device to be filed and thus noted and seen.

Remember SERVER rules/global filters etc take precedence BEFORE the BES. Thus a server rule to move a message or filter it will take effect then the BES comes into play. So if a server rule moves a message to another folder the BES will not see it because it never was seen by it in the user's inbox.

Needless to say it was a very complex problem and involved the user re-evaluating their message rules.

Message rules can be good and bad! I love one message rule. I have a message rule that moves any message that I get cc'ed on into a subfolder. I do not have that subfolder in my Blackberry folder tree so I never ever have to worry about the 50-100 cc'ed messages I get a day! I read them when I am on my computer when I need to. It does not clog up my Blackberry messages and force me to manage filing/deleting them. Afterall it is cc'ed messages and we all know the value of most of them - worthy of filing to folders or the garbage can.
Closed Thread