BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 02:41 PM   #1
Jonathan_M

Default Bluetooth day-to-day usage

Please Login to Remove!

I've been reading the forum for a few weeks and finally have a question after trying out 2 BT headsets, a Sony/Ericsson HBH-35 and a Motorola HS810.

With the HBH-35 in standby mode, it seems to stay "in contact" with the 7100t for awhile (indicated with a blue status led on the 7100) but then loses contact with it. I have turn the HBH-35 off then on again for things to work properly.

With the HS810 in standby mode, it seems to do a better job of staying in contact through longer periods of time.

Here's my question, how do the rest of you use your BT headsets? Do you leave them in standby mode all the time then use it everytime you use the phone or do you turn the headset off when you're not using it then turn it on when you need it?

Thanks!
Old 10-28-2004, 03:00 PM   #2
Fireproof
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
PIN: Montblanc
Carrier: T-Mobile

I have an HS810. During the normal course of the day, I keep it folded up (off) in my pocket. If I get a call, I just answer the phone without it - if it looks like it's going to be a long conversation, I tell them to hang on a sec, I open the HS810 and start using it seamlessly.

Otherwise, when I'm making outbound calls, I then turn it on and use it.

Also, I always like to have it on my ear when driving because I can barely feel it's on and since I play my music loudly, I can hear the phone ringing through the HS810, but without it, would miss calls (because sometimes I don't feel the vibrate).
Old 10-28-2004, 03:07 PM   #3
Inphektion
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
Carrier: (¯`·.¸at&t¸.·´¯)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireproof
I have an HS810. During the normal course of the day, I keep it folded up (off) in my pocket. If I get a call, I just answer the phone without it - if it looks like it's going to be a long conversation, I tell them to hang on a sec, I open the HS810 and start using it seamlessly.

Otherwise, when I'm making outbound calls, I then turn it on and use it.

Also, I always like to have it on my ear when driving because I can barely feel it's on and since I play my music loudly, I can hear the phone ringing through the HS810, but without it, would miss calls (because sometimes I don't feel the vibrate).
wow, I use the exact same way.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:55 PM   #4
Belfast
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inphektion
me too...
Old 10-28-2004, 04:02 PM   #5
ladrummer

I have the HS 810 as well and I normally keep it off until I need it. It actually connects really fast so I can use it to answer a call as well. I do have problems leaving it on for long periods of time. It will eventually lose conection and if I try to turn bluetooh off and on again it resets the phone. Which is a bummer casue I too like to keep it on my ear while driving. But this was something discussed in another thread on here.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:12 PM   #6
canesfins
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
Carrier: BTC

I have the same issue with my HBH-65 headset losing contact.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:14 PM   #7
Jonathan_M

Thanks for all the replies. This is my first BT enabled device and I wasn't sure what to expect. The documentation that comes with the headsets doesn't describe day to day use or typical applications so I was just feeling around in the dark as to how to get the best use out of it.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:39 PM   #8
Gothalyptic
CrackBerry Addict

I can't speak for the 7100, so might be just a bit off topic. I use the BT250 by Jabra, and a V600. I rarely loose connection if I leave the headset turned on, unless it goes out of range.

My use consists of: headset always on ear, phone always on hip, voicedial to make a call, answer via headset to receive one. I have (literally) never used my V600 normally, always used it via bluetooth.

Please use the Search feature to find a quick answer.

[url]htt
Old 10-28-2004, 05:43 PM   #9
ladrummer

Yeah I think this has been isolated to the 7100t. At least that's the phone I'm using. For me it doesn't completely lose connection at first. First what will happen is that I lose audio connection. I can still use the headset to place and end a call but get no audio. I'll then shut off the headset, turn it back on and then it won't regain connection. But I'm now getting off topic.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:39 PM   #10
swilcox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfast
Quote:
me too...
I use my 810 exactly the same way. I find that it connects very fast when opened, and I get use of the phone again very fast when I close it. So I answer on the phone and then switch to the headset if I think it's going to last long, or if I need to write. Very efficient!
Old 10-28-2004, 07:39 PM   #11
swilcox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfast
Quote:
me too...
I use my 810 exactly the same way. I find that it connects very fast when opened, and I get use of the phone again very fast when I close it. So I answer on the phone and then switch to the headset if I think it's going to last long, or if I need to write. Very efficient!
Old 10-28-2004, 09:52 PM   #12
Kimo

My Sony HBH-660 has the same problem...

It loses connection if left on standby for long periods. turing the unit off and on works better but is a longer process.

When I lose connection the phone will do a hard reset sometimes (very annoying).
Old 10-29-2004, 10:29 AM   #13
Volfan

Model: 8700g
Carrier: Tmobile

I just started using the HS810 this week. Is it normal behavior for it to redial the last number when you press the multifunction button?
Old 10-29-2004, 10:30 AM   #14
roccitman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100t
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Agreed!

I agree with the usage tendencies. Does anyone know if there's a way to have the phone automatically pickup the device (BT headset) without having to accept it?

Maybe it's a security thing?
Old 10-29-2004, 11:36 AM   #15
ladrummer

In answer to Volfan....yes this is normal. I'm pretty sure all headsets will redial the last number.

In answer to roccitman go into your settings, select blutooth, then select the paired device, then click the thumbwheel to get a menu, select device properties, where it says trusted switch the setting to "yes" and it will now automatically connect to the device without having to verify it.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:58 PM   #16
dallasbbry

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

I picked up the HS810 today. Still getting used to it but I like it so far. I like the fact it rings in my ear for an incoming call. Very nice. So far I like it.
Old 11-26-2004, 02:09 AM   #17
guinda35
CrackBerry Addict

Model: z10
Carrier: att

Old 12-28-2004, 05:00 PM   #18
El Chino
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100t

I have an HS810 and under settings i switched it to "trusted"

When I open the boom it is automatically recognized by the phone without me having to say "yes"

It works well so you can quickly get it on your ear and answer a call wihtout having to fumble with the trackwheel.
Old 12-31-2004, 10:15 AM   #19
sempai
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8xxx
Carrier: T-Mobile, US

I am trying a Jabra BT110.

It works very well with the 7100, you merely press a button to answer a call, or migrate the call from handset to headset.

And they're dirt cheap, you can find them for around 50 bucks.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:52 AM   #20
texnick

Model: 7800C
Carrier: AT&T
Default Re: Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccitman
I agree with the usage tendencies. Does anyone know if there's a way to have the phone automatically pickup the device (BT headset) without having to accept it?

Maybe it's a security thing?
Yes, just go to settings, bluetooth, choose your headset, click, go to properties and set it to a "trusted" device.
Next time you initiate a connection from your headset, it won't ask.

Nick
Closed Thread