Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 07:55 AM   #81
paulmac
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Storm
PIN: Ask
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

So Cisco jumped in regarding the name iPhone, wonder if Skype will also? Just happen to be in an electronics store yesterday and one of thier phones is called iPhone.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:35 AM   #82
GMK

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmac
So Cisco jumped in regarding the name iPhone, wonder if Skype will also? Just happen to be in an electronics store yesterday and one of thier phones is called iPhone.
Its a bit more than Cisco jumping in. They've had the registered trademark for iPhone for quite some time. If anyone, it's Apple thats doing the infringing.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:42 AM   #83
joe allen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrusso14
The iPhone can iSuck it for all iCare. iWish apple could come up with something that didn't have the i in front of it. We get it. You had a clever device called the iMac. No need to put an i at the beggining of everything new you come out with. LOL iWonder if Steve Jobs had another kid...would he name it iJames or iLisa or something like that.

...iDigress. My pearl does everything i need it to and more. I've got Talladega Nights...on my phone...and can watch it anywhere I want. It's also a cell phone. I can make phone calls and receive them. I get my new emails when they're sent to me. The iPhone doesn't do push email, my blackberry does... My blackberry plays mp3's. It has a calendar. It plays movies. It has somewhat of a qwerty keyboard...

The only thing my phone doesn't do that I like in the iPhone is the Visual Voice mail. Being able to choose which Voice mails I want to hear, and skip over the others is pretty cool...but not something I'd spend $500 for. Jesus H.
putting the "i" in front of everything was to market to the consumer's sense of individuality. they could have just as easily made it myMac or myPod. it also shows why they will never beat microsoft in the business market. you can hate microsoft all you want, but they have a capitalist business plan which works almost everytime. "if you can't beat them....buy them". another company that is doing that is Adobe. they have all but wiped out the competition in the graphics software world when they bought almost everyone. steve jobs is no idiot either. he had to know he was not going to win the pc/mac war, so he is now trying to dominate the electronic accessory world. they got in early on in the mp3 market and took it over. not because their product had the best features, but because it was cute and trendy. get some famous people to hold your product while they are in public and all the kids will go crazy for it. make sure hollywood only shows your product in movies and the uninformed will believe that everyone uses that type of laptop or computer. i am not exactly an apple hater. they make cute toys and they are nice to look at.

sorry just ranting a bit.

"Blackberryland is a much happier place than Palmville"

Last edited by joe allen; 01-12-2007 at 08:44 AM..
Old 01-12-2007, 09:50 AM   #84
untjoker

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe allen
putting the "i" in front of everything was to market to the consumer's sense of individuality. they could have just as easily made it myMac or myPod. it also shows why they will never beat microsoft in the business market. you can hate microsoft all you want, but they have a capitalist business plan which works almost everytime. "if you can't beat them....buy them". another company that is doing that is Adobe. they have all but wiped out the competition in the graphics software world when they bought almost everyone. steve jobs is no idiot either. he had to know he was not going to win the pc/mac war, so he is now trying to dominate the electronic accessory world. they got in early on in the mp3 market and took it over. not because their product had the best features, but because it was cute and trendy. get some famous people to hold your product while they are in public and all the kids will go crazy for it. make sure hollywood only shows your product in movies and the uninformed will believe that everyone uses that type of laptop or computer. i am not exactly an apple hater. they make cute toys and they are nice to look at.

sorry just ranting a bit.

Couldn't agree with you more. Right on the money with everything you said. I laugh at the haters at Microsoft. Being a programmer, I understand where people get frustrated with Microsoft products, that being said you will never topple Microsoft. They have their shortcomings but they are also King of the hill and will never be shot down unless someone comes out with a paradigm shift without catching the Microsoft team off guard, which isn't happening.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:13 AM   #85
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: ASK ME
Carrier: Tmobile

I think apple is smart enough to know they will never topple microsoft. That isnt even there plan. The funny thing is microsoft has a vested intrest in apple and wants them to do well. When jobs got rehired microsoft invested 150 million dollars into apple. the only people that go around hating eachother are the consumers because all of the silicon valley boys are friends an in bed with each other. i have no loyalty to any company. i buy what works. and right now my macs work and my pc doesnt. easy choice for me. same goes for my phone.. my bb works right now but the iphone looks like something of intrest. the only thing thats scaring me is cingular.. i might just buy it and get data only

WWW.TheTDGrouponline.com
Old 01-12-2007, 03:22 PM   #86
vherrera0079
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile

Well, it's a widely known fact that there will be no SDK for third party developers. No third party software means no sale for me.

I guess I'll keep my Pearl until the 8800 comes out.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:11 AM   #87
ibrg

Model: 0000
Carrier: T-Mo

I thought this was interesting: link
"RIM's loss is surprising considering that Apple is not putting the iPhone up against BlackBerry at all..."
Old 01-13-2007, 02:21 AM   #88
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Interesting link.... Thanks ibrg... I think in the long run people will see it as the gimmick it is and other than teenie boppers wanting it, I don't really see it causing any major issues with BB sales....
Old 01-13-2007, 04:38 AM   #89
GregH-BBPearl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-mobile
Default this kevin guy must have missed the jobs launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by secrecyguy
I am quoting you to give everyone a clickable link...

Kevin Rose confirms iPhone? - Engadget Mobile
We all saw jobs holding the iphone with no buttons and touch screen!
So what's this guy saying touchscreen is out?

Ok well first off I checked out these diggnation guys and it's right on! That Kevin guy is pretty funny, but the other guy is just a freaky hair guy. ;) (both had me rolling)

Anyway the update is he mentions kind of under his breath that it's got what we saw with no buttons and touchscreen AND a pull out keyboard. Damnit, am I going to have to buy another phone? Well we will have to wait. No way can they match "push" and I know how froggy itunes/apple/mac is with thier freaking digital rights, being some fancy os just means locking us out. I already got pissed I bought a video from itunes, and cant copy it to my pearl. I'm so pissed!! I bought it damnit. Anyway I will have to check this phone out. Not a mac lover but I do love my 80gig video ipod!

oh and shit go see this diggnation video it's a riot!

Last edited by GregH-BBPearl; 01-13-2007 at 05:34 AM.. Reason: some cool shit
Old 01-13-2007, 05:16 AM   #90
joginder
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Passp
Carrier: ATT

Well, I can see the anxiety level here but this artcle tells me that stay away from it
http://www.computerworld.com/action/...Basic&articleI
d=9007826&source=NLT_PM&nlid=8
Old 01-13-2007, 05:17 AM   #91
joginder

Model: Passp
Carrier: ATT

again!
20 things we don't know about the iPhone
Old 01-13-2007, 05:37 AM   #92
archer6

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe allen
not because their product had the best features, but because it was cute and trendy. get some famous people to hold your product while they are in public and all the kids will go crazy for it. make sure hollywood only shows your product in movies and the uninformed will believe that everyone uses that type of laptop or computer. i am not exactly an apple hater. they make cute toys and they are nice to look at.
Yes iAgree,

after iReading your iPost iUsed my iGlasses to avoid iStrain and iDo agree with you.

the iThing as it may be iCalled since iApple stole the name is, iThink an iFlop.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:46 AM   #93
Martyn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Orange UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpro
Dont like it much, not a I pod lover at all
ditto, its crap, and big.. * well looks it * whos gonig to want to walk around with one of tho's..
Old 01-13-2007, 07:20 AM   #94
pixpox

Carrier: t-mobile

What about Nokia N95.... It runs Symbian OS for one and has push email...

I miss the days I could use my Siemens SX1 with Symbian for almost anything with the amount of application I had on it.. my favorite extra was the universal remote control software using the built in IR... Now I'm feeling sort of like a Windows user who suddenly switched to Linux.

Last edited by pixpox; 01-13-2007 at 07:33 AM..
Old 01-13-2007, 07:26 AM   #95
blackberry_jack
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Rogers

Seems to me that the iPhone is not going to change the market by inducing everyone to rush out and buy one -- disregarding price and other drawbacks, it runs on OSX, and everyone who has a Mac knows the headaches of having a computer that won't talk to other computers.

Rather, I think it will change the market by making casual consumers realize that they can have more; more screen, more computer in their phone or more phone in their computer, more web, more data functions, more friendly interfaces, more integration of devices. It's important because it shows people that laptop computers are overweight and overpriced; that their phones may represent design compromises that are no longer necessary.

Lots of good will come of the iPhone.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:14 PM   #96
bakos

Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Will it be possible to unlock and use iPhone on TMO?

Two questions:

1. I am not sure if there is enough information for educated guesses on this, but is it going to be possible to unlock the iPhone either with or without Cingular's cooperation? Does the GSM standard require phones to be unlockable, and if so, wouldn't somebody like gsmsource be able to get us the unlock codes even without Cingy's cooperation?

2. If I am on a BIS blackberry plan on TMO (Blackberry Minutes and Mail in my case), if I put my SIM in an unlocked GSM smartphone (Treo, iPhone, etc) I presume I wouldn't get push email as it is tied to my PIN, but am I going to get GPRS/EDGE service and full internet? Or is that also somehow tied to the blackberry?
Old 01-14-2007, 02:12 AM   #97
paulmac

Model: Storm
PIN: Ask
Default Steven Colbert Wag of the Finger,

On the Steven Colbert Report the other night he gave a review of the iPHONE, it was funny. You will have to watch the video for a while to get to it, but hang in there, worth it. Sorry about the 15 second commercial too, can't help that.

Comedy Central: Videos - Watch funny exclusive videos and show clips on MotherLoad
Old 01-14-2007, 05:08 AM   #98
geekdaddy

Carrier: Cingular
Default That was funny :)

Enjoyed the Colbert report!

While I believe the market is diverse and large enough for a lot of different devices, I don't expect to be an iPhone owner anytime soon. Two words (or three?):

Touch-Screen Keyboard.

That's it. I don't care what Apple did to it, on-screen keyboards suck. They always have. Nobody with a strong need or desire for instant messaging and/or email will tolerate it for very long.

There are also the other issues cited by others here with respect to push email support, corporate infrastructure & security, viewing/editing std office docs, etc.

That said, Apple can resolve any and all of these issues with future design spins & revisions if they want to.

I think the iPhone will do very well with the iPod users that want a phone too. Apple's brand is flying sky high so a lot of people will also buy them so they can be seen using it. After all, how many iPod users are out there with 40 or 50 tunes loaded on them? ...and I met a professional woman using a pearl the other day. She doesn't use push email nor does she have a data plan and said she didn't like the phone very much. Her husband got it for her because he heard they were good.

So... The iPhone will probably sell well but won't take over the world. There will be future versions that get better. Apple's unique approach to product design and UI's will influence the phone and smartphone competitors. It's all good
Old 01-14-2007, 05:59 AM   #99
simkin9999

Model: 8700c

We have 210 or so BB's at work. We're Exchange 2003 only. We do not support POP3 - the service itself is disabled. Hell, all the Windows Mobile services are disabled, as well.

I don't see any of my users touching one of these. Even if they do, it simply cannot be supported. It'd take months for the request to even make it through the change management process - assuming it would even get approved (the business need is what?)

Their kids? They'll probably have 2 for all I know.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:57 PM   #100
dsexter

Model: 9000
Carrier: att

let me start by saying I love my pearl, but if video is the future, rim's got to figure out how to incorporate video for the technically inept (like myself). Im sure iphone's just one click, upload and its done (assuming similiar to ipod). Most of you on this board have a grip on techy stuff, most of the public does not. I've given up trying to get video on my pearl
Closed Thread