Old 05-10-2009, 11:29 AM   #1
icefrost

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: China Mobile
Default Heading abroad, please advise.

Please Login to Remove!

Hi

I currently have a BlackBerry Curve 8310 connected to Vodacom South Africa, set up as follows:

Using BIS with Yahoo account, IMAP account and Exchange OWA account. Also using Windows Live Messenger, Yahoo Messenger and ICQ (application supplied by BlackBerry), and Vodafone Sat Nav.

I will be going to China next week for an extended period of time (approximately 2 years). I have some questions:

1. Can someone recommend a good carrier in China? I'd prefer cheap, but good coverage is also important as I will likely travel to some outlying areas as well.
2. Will I be able to just plug in a new SIM card (provided it's provisioned for BlackBerry of course)?
3. Are there any settings I need to change on the phone?
4. I have a BES account with Exchange which I'm not using at the moment as my BlackBerry package with Vodacom doesn't support BES, only BIS. I would like to use BES as well as BIS if it won't be too expensive.

I'm currently paying around US$7/month for my Blackberry package with Vodacom (unlimited browsing, e-mail and GPS, but no BES). I'm looking for a similar package if someone can recommend, preferably with BES as well. I don't mind spending a bit more if necessary (note: a bit, not like US$200 a month or something).

Any advise would be much appreciated. Vodacom recommended I use China Telecom as they are apparently the only network in China that supports BlackBerry, but I've seen an advertisement for BlackBerry on the China Mobile website (although really expensive).

Regards

IceFrost
Old 05-10-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
icefrost

Also, I need to know what's the quickest way to get re-connected once I arrive. Is there a shop at Shanghai airport? Anybody know? I can't afford downtime on my BlackBerry as my work depends on it.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

1. China Mobile is the best carrier to use for GSM.
2. Yes, provided your device is SIM unlocked.
3. You should not need to change anything on the phone, only re-add your accounts to the new BIS account you create with your new provider (if they offer BIS). Some providers only offer BES service.
4. You may only be able to get BES service.
5. More than likely there will be a mobile phone shop in the airport at which you can purchase a SIM, however, you will probably need to sign a contract for BlackBerry service, and you may not be able to do that until you have established residency.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:06 PM   #4
icefrost1

Thanks,

For anyone else who would like to know (as getting hold of this info was quite hectic), I now have my phone working on China Mobile:

- China Mobile offers BlackBerry service at 398 RMB per month for 50 MB of data, payable upfront for 12 months (4 776 RMB).
- Officially, you require to have a company in China order the service for you, though it's easy to get past this (anything in China is up for negotiation).
- The secret number is 400 811 1086 to order the service.
- China Mobile only supports BES, they might tell you that BES and mail server must be located in China, but don't believe that, the first time I phoned them they said so, the second time (the same guy) told me foreign BES is fine. They also apparently only support Microsoft Exchange (not Lotus or anything like that), this is also a lie.
- BlackBerry coverage is available in China everywhere where there is GSM 900 coverage, not only in 6 major cities as suggested by some people.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:56 AM   #5
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by icefrost1 View Post
Thanks,

For anyone else who would like to know (as getting hold of this info was quite hectic), I now have my phone working on China Mobile:

- China Mobile offers BlackBerry service at 398 RMB per month for 50 MB of data, payable upfront for 12 months (4 776 RMB).
- Officially, you require to have a company in China order the service for you, though it's easy to get past this (anything in China is up for negotiation).
- The secret number is 400 811 1086 to order the service.
- China Mobile only supports BES, they might tell you that BES and mail server must be located in China, but don't believe that, the first time I phoned them they said so, the second time (the same guy) told me foreign BES is fine. They also apparently only support Microsoft Exchange (not Lotus or anything like that), this is also a lie.
- BlackBerry coverage is available in China everywhere where there is GSM 900 coverage, not only in 6 major cities as suggested by some people.
Excellent! Glad to hear it is working for you.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:57 AM   #6
jdiggy

Model: 9000
Carrier: china mobile
Default Able to use BBM?

Hi Icefrost,

Thanks for your invaluable info. I am using a pay as you go China mobile simcard with blackberry bold. I can use the internet brower to surf the net but I do not have any services for BBM, MSN, etc....
What can I do?
I was also wondering, when you got your blackberry connected to BES, can you use BBM, MSN etc???
What about blackberry internet service?
Does having BES mean that you do not need BIS to use data services??

THanks!!!!
Closed Thread