Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 02:03 PM   #21
dgoard
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Phil and CTW are totally right.
I was getting frustrated with my 7100 until i stopped looking at the screen. It may be the 3rd or 4th letter before it figures out what youre doing but its better than 90% right for me. My only gripe is that my fingers are a little big and the letters are a closer than I would like them to be but overall I dig the device.

Current Device: BB 8830
PIN 32C2C065
Old 05-21-2005, 03:33 PM   #22
mafialink

Its you. I love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by elazarus
.....I had a 6230 and the telephone was weak but I could answer e-mails in a flash...I use 5000 minutes a month and get 250-300 e-mails a day.

Now I have the 7100 from T-mobile...the coverage is great where I live and I have no problem using it in Asia, Europe or the U.S. but...typing with suretype takes me forever since it doesn't like what I type and has not learned "me" yet in 3 months. If I take the suretype off the double click meathod is stupid....

Anyone have a solution????

Thank you

Elliot
Old 05-22-2005, 06:33 PM   #23
JDBorges187

Quote:
Originally Posted by elazarus
.....I had a 6230 and the telephone was weak but I could answer e-mails in a flash...I use 5000 minutes a month and get 250-300 e-mails a day.

Now I have the 7100 from T-mobile...the coverage is great where I live and I have no problem using it in Asia, Europe or the U.S. but...typing with suretype takes me forever since it doesn't like what I type and has not learned "me" yet in 3 months. If I take the suretype off the double click meathod is stupid....

Anyone have a solution????

Thank you

Elliot
its just you
Old 05-22-2005, 10:06 PM   #24
elazarus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Well I used the e-mail all weekend without looking and so many words were wrong....so I appreciate your input but I cannot agree....I guess I used too many names of products and cities around the world that suretype does not pick up.

you should have seen some of the crap I corrected near thge end of the word or the end of the word...it was emmbarrassing. I called up and had them ship to me a 7290.

I thought that i could make a go of it by taking your advise and waiting until the end of the words or paragraphs but I had to go back and correct so much that the time and effort proved tome that this is a terrible piece of machinery....

Sorry gang. I appreciate your input, but for business (not personal hello how are you mail) the 7100 does not measure up....

I mean I am paying $400 for a new Blackberry after having this one for 90 days....so you canbe sure I tried to listen and do what you said.

For those of you who said it is me....try using some business words or type something different from Google and see how much you need to correct.

E
Old 05-22-2005, 11:35 PM   #25
barjohn
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700
Carrier: AT&T

I agree with you elazarus. I too find that too often I have to go back and correct words that it substituted for what I intended. Unfortunately, there are often numerous words that can be made from the same 2 letter combinations or it guesses completely wrong. The net result is I spend time fixing the words that I already tyed once. For those that aren't using it for real business typing but rather for informal SMS types of messages it may be just fine. Real business users should stick to the 72xx or 75xx series, in my opinion.

For more information see barJohn Reviews It
Active PIN 203A5535
Old 05-23-2005, 06:44 AM   #26
nskgti

Model: 7100G

I work for a fortune 100 company and I use a 7100G with no problem. A few of my customers have deployed 7100's to their entire sales force. So I don't see how "real business" emails has anything to do with it.... I send between 50 and 150 emails a day and about 75% are from my blackberry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barjohn
I agree with you elazarus. I too find that too often I have to go back and correct words that it substituted for what I intended. Unfortunately, there are often numerous words that can be made from the same 2 letter combinations or it guesses completely wrong. The net result is I spend time fixing the words that I already tyed once. For those that aren't using it for real business typing but rather for informal SMS types of messages it may be just fine. Real business users should stick to the 72xx or 75xx series, in my opinion.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:37 AM   #27
barjohn
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700

I guess it depends on the nature of the emails. I, like elazarus, find the unit making too many errors of both types, i.e., selecting the wrong word from the list of possible words or creating a nonsense word when the word is not in the dictionary. I don't have the patience to keep going back and correcting it or conversely, forcing it one letter at a time to select the right letter. This effort slows me down too much.

For more information see barJohn Reviews It
Active PIN 203A5535
Old 05-23-2005, 07:48 AM   #28
PhilMax
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100g

I use mine strictly for business, am in the high tech industry, work closely with our IT staff, and use technical terms all the time with no issues (other than 'see to are'). I have created autotext entries for some terms that I use a lot, and others that I suspect to be an issue I just quickly switch over to multi-tap for that word then quickly back again; I do that for URLs also. All I can say is "De gustibus non est disputandum".

Who says they can't teach an 'old dog' new tricks!
Old 05-23-2005, 01:47 PM   #29
wiz2510

Model: 7100T
Default Multi-tap

Hi

I have a Constant "ABC" Logo on my blackberry 7100T.

It is related to a Multi-Tap input method. How did i getin this mode and how do i get out of it ?
Old 05-25-2005, 01:36 PM   #30
Skiwhack

Model: 8100
Talking Sure (mis) type

Hi Again everybody,

I see that there are those out there with typing issues. Why dont we make the best of it by coming out with our own dictionary.

I call it the Sure (mis) Type dictionary.

So far words are:
Congesta- meant to type Congratulations. We've adopted this new word at work because it sounds Italian
Swedilly- Meant to type awefully. It's catching on around the office. Used in a sentence...
Did you see that swedilly outfit the receptionist had on yesterday!

Ciao!

Ski
Old 05-25-2005, 03:32 PM   #31
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

I have no problem typing on the 7100T... Been using it since Jan 05...
Old 05-26-2005, 09:11 AM   #32
PhilMax
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100g

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz2510
Hi

I have a Constant "ABC" Logo on my blackberry 7100T.

It is related to a Multi-Tap input method. How did i getin this mode and how do i get out of it ?
Go into your memo app or start to create a message. You can hold down the * key for a second or two and it should switch to SureType, or click the thumbwheel and scroll down to the menu option to switch over to SureType.

Who says they can't teach an 'old dog' new tricks!
Old 05-27-2005, 02:25 AM   #33
mok7100
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour
Carrier: VZW
Post "Sure-miss"

Quote:
Originally Posted by barjohn
I guess it depends on the nature of the emails. I, like elazarus, find the unit making too many errors of both types, i.e., selecting the wrong word from the list of possible words or creating a nonsense word when the word is not in the dictionary. I don't have the patience to keep going back and correcting it or conversely, forcing it one letter at a time to select the right letter. This effort slows me down too much.
I agree with John and Elazarus: too frustrating for business use. I had mine for 3 weeks. Loved the phone. Got great compliments on the speaker phone, but typing was a probem for the reasons stated above, plus I found that even when I didn't look at the screen, it was hard to recover from typos because of the words it choose. I also had lots of "inputting errors: resetting software" and "uncaught exception" errors. On another thread, someone suggested that I could solve most of these with a hard reboot- but with the number of messages I was getting, I'd have to "reboot" (battery removal, etc.) about once a week.

Even though I can type about 80 WPM, I found typing very slow on the 7100g. So I'm back to the 7290 and we'll see if 4.0 is any more stable there.

It's just too bad RIM can't or didn't put a speaker phone into their full form factor models.
-Marc

"Give me a #5 XB and I can fly you to the moon"
Old 05-29-2005, 06:03 PM   #34
TRILIGHT
Thumbs Must Hurt

I can type one handed with no problem. About 85% of my e-mails are business related. The only problems I've seen are the "ARE <> SEE" problem mentioned and "HEY <> GET". Super simple to just scroll-wheel to the correct word. I'm curious if it learns differently if you correct something right after spelling the word vs. going back into a sentence to correct it. I started correcting my words right at the end of the word when I saw it was wrong. It knows all my words now and does not do anything wrong other than the words I just mentioned.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:06 AM   #35
spdrcr5

Model: 8310

I've had my 7100g for a few weeks and from day 1 have not had any issues. I use it 100% for work emails. I work in my IT Dept and none of my emails are 3 word replies, they are generally long. I use my 7100g 90-95% of the time because I am never in my office to use Outlook. Even when I am in my office I will just grab my 7100g and type out my email since it is almost as fast as using the computer.

Every single person that has tried using my 7100g loves it. Once I tell them to NOT look at the screen they can pick up their typing speed and they don't have typo issues. The sure-type is what has been selling so many on the 7100.

AT&T via BES
Old 05-30-2005, 03:18 PM   #36
CurvyGurl

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMobile

I HATE suretype. I don't have time for it to be inserting the wrong words... I just use multitap, and despite people rolling their eyes at me, it works faster that way.

Someday I will upgrade to the smaller phone and the QWERTY screen, but for now it's working fine.

I find I do more reading on the BB, than typing anyway. I really use it to gauge my day-- ie if I wake up at 6 am and by 7, I have 2-3 emails from my boss, I know I need to be in early. If I have 1 or no email, I know I am good to show up at the normal time. I can't stand not knowing what's in my email inbox at work!
Old 05-30-2005, 04:49 PM   #37
texasag90
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurvyGurl
ISomeday I will upgrade to the smaller phone and the QWERTY screen, but for now it's working fine.
Which phone did you have in mind?
Closed Thread