BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 09:05 PM   #1
RiskySeven

Model: 7100g
Angry Last RIM I will every buy - 7100g Red light and constant restart

Please Login to Remove!

First off, lemme say this 7100g is an absolute POS. I will never buy another RIM product again. As a phone, the performance is below what I would call acceptable. Sure it does lots of other data related things....but the phone is the black cloud of the package, and it should be the most solid of the package IMHO. It is also the least dependable electronic device I have ever purchased.....ever.....I'm talking broad range here.....from gigabit routers to electric shavers. Anyway...sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

I hope someone can help me...I've been w/o a phone for 3 days now. I've had this 7100g for about 15 months. The latest issue is a show stopper. I plugged it in to the charger the other night b/c the battery was low. Not long after....I noticed the phone looking like it was starting up. Sure enough. The light at the top shows red for a couple of seconds.....then the phone tries to start w/ the spinning hourglass. After about 5 - 10 seconds, red light again and it shuts off. Does this for hours until you unplug the charger. If no charger, you can't turn it on. I've tried pulling the battery while it was starting....then replacing it (this helps w/ other issues)...but it didn't help. I've checked the sim card...seems fine. I'm at a loss. Is there a key for this red light....it acts like it is giving some sort of code (like a BIOS beep if you're familiar w/ that type of thing). Any help would be appreciated. I'm tempted to launch the frigging thing out my window and consider it a long lesson learned. Thanks!!
Old 12-05-2006, 09:52 PM   #2
headtailgrep
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 950
Carrier: robbers

have you tried replacing your unit? you do realize your provider may be able to get you a cheap replacement, your definately out of warranty.

Also, there are better units, like the Pearl, or the 8700. consider replacing it with something better, the 7100 is crap.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:01 PM   #3
YMark
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by headtailgrep
consider replacing it with something better, the 7100 is crap.
Uh, I think he already realizes that based on his post. I think the words were "POS".
Old 12-05-2006, 10:37 PM   #4
snowskier79
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Curve
PIN: No thanks, yo tienen una pluma.
Carrier: AT&T

Sounds like your issue is related to hardware. When the devices startup they have a system check to make sure certain items are functioning correctly, i.e. screen is working properly w/the main components etc. If one of these components is not wired or working correctly the phone goes in an endless loop.

Time for an upgrade; call up your carriers CS and see if you can talk them into a discount promo, you probably are close to a reduced upgrade as well.

I do however find it unfortunate for you to paint such a broad brush (much less your first post on these forums) regarding your opinion on "RIM" products. You have experience with one RIM product (which it sounds like was your original OEM purchase). No device is "perfect" and as with any electronic product they eventually break down (i.e. parts, connections, etc) and need to be replaced.

Keep us updated as to your progress and best of luck with your carrier!

Oh and btw welcome to the forums!

Last edited by snowskier79; 12-05-2006 at 10:40 PM..
Old 12-06-2006, 01:14 PM   #5
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Maybe with your 1st post you should have asked for help..

These forums are great and could have greatly assisted you in solving the issue, or suggesting a different BB...

I think you will find that BB's are generally rock solid and that other devices out there are far, far worse in the freeze and crash department...

The 7100 series is not the best for evaluating the BB... I had the 7100 and the 7105 and did not like them one bit... Now the 7290 is a tank and 8700's are awesome!

Best of luck with your new device... If you decide to come back to the BB's feel free next time to ask questions and resolve the issue before you register to make a single post on what a POS BB's are... The proper information and help would have prevented your rant... Just my .02 on the matter...

Best wishes!
Old 12-06-2006, 01:16 PM   #6
snowskier79

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead
. . . Now the 7290 is a tank . . .
So true! I've held on to mine (although it is stored away safely in the closet) for this very reason!
Old 12-07-2006, 07:20 PM   #7
RiskySeven

Model: 7100g
Default Thanks

Thanks for the constructive replies. I haven't posted in the forum before b/c I always found the answers to my other problems....a tribute to how helpful everyone is! I poked around and couldn't find a situation similar to mine...so I posted.

So it sounds like a hardware failure. Cr@p. I'm going to talk to Cingular about the issues I've had and see if I can get a discount on a new phone, but I have to say I'm going to look for a different brand w/ a JVM on it and similar data features b/c I am just SO frustrated w/ this product. If I can't find one....based on your comments I'll guess I'll have to try the 8700.

Thanks again.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:54 PM   #8
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

It might NOT be hardware related... You can try a usbwipe using javaloader and reload the OS... It can't hurt at this point before tossing it into the junk pile...

The 8700 is a very nice device.... The 8800 is also due out soon and looks to be even more awesome than the 8700
Old 12-07-2006, 09:09 PM   #9
snowskier79

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead
It might NOT be hardware related... You can try a usbwipe using javaloader and reload the OS... It can't hurt at this point before tossing it into the junk pile...

The 8700 is a very nice device.... The 8800 is also due out soon and looks to be even more awesome than the 8700
I highly agree with LunkHead (as usual). Give a wipe a try before you throw it to the curb!

The link to javaloader/Jl_cmder is in my sig.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:30 PM   #10
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

The 7100 series is now 26 months old. The devices since that series, from the 8700 to the 8100 to the 7130 are MUCH better devices, in both quality and performance. I would see if you could get a deal on the Pearl/8100. You won't regret the decision, especially if you've lasted 15 months with a 7100 and don't mind the costs of the plans and the SureType keyboard. Just my opinion.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:18 PM   #11
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

I agree with Jibi 100%!!! The Pearl is quite the little machine! However, my 7100t was always quite reliable and I had very few problems until I just wore the thing out (keyboard).
Old 01-02-2007, 10:28 AM   #12
mikadad
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9810
Carrier: ATT

My 7100g has just 'sh*t the bed' as well, with error 322 and the constant rebooting but never coming fully up. Is there a CMOS battery that can possibly come loose? when I coax it against a hard surface it will reboot properly but stay up only for a few then start all over. I have wiped my BB and reloaded the OS too.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:07 PM   #13
Chinasaur
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Z30

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowskier79
So true! I've held on to mine (although it is stored away safely in the closet) for this very reason!
LOL! I just bought a Fortte Open Faced case for my "backup" 7290 I take it out and use it for a couple of days every now and again.

Love that keyboard!

OP, if you're ever around...! Did you get another BB or did you defect to something else?
Old 01-03-2007, 06:49 PM   #14
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Model: 666
Carrier: ?

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I too still have my 7105t, unfortunately I am with VZW (whereas I was with TMO before). It was always very reliable. I am completely satisfied with my 8703e.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:47 PM   #15
secrecyguy

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

That's old phone. It's almost like saying, I will never buy a Toyota again. This 1980 model is POS!

You should have got a 8100 or 8700 from Cingular or T-mobile.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:57 PM   #16
SanFrancisco

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD

I never had any problems with my 7100t and until the Pearl came out I said the 7100 was the finest phone I ever had.

Ditto on what others have said, sounds like yours developed a glitch, software related.

Smartphones and the like are just like a desktop computer using Windows XP. Over time the OS just gets all gummed up and then nothing will work on the phone. Worse case "reformatting" the phone and reinstalling the OS will fix whatever is ailing the thing.

Get a new phone, at a discount, as you say. With T-Mo users can get a new phone at an upgrade price every 9 to 11 months [forgot what it was, I think it's 11 months]. Sounds like you are qualified for a discount with your carrier.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:51 PM   #17
albiesf
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon
Default You'll be more frustrated with WM5

I've tried the Q and the 6700 and the main problem with those devices are not the phones themselves but the OS. They try to be too many things and end up not being good at any of it. Sure it sounds nice to have multimedia on your phone, but when you're having to go through multiple clicks to do something simple, you'll get annoyed pretty quickly. And don't get me started on the weekly or in some cases, daily resets and hanging apps. Stick with the BB and move up to the 8700 if you like the QWERTY keyboard or the Pearl for Suretype. They do what they're supposed to. If you're frustrated with the BB OS, the WM5 OS will have you feeling worse.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:15 PM   #18
SanFrancisco

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by albiesf
I've tried the Q and the 6700 and the main problem with those devices are not the phones themselves but the OS. They try to be too many things and end up not being good at any of it. Sure it sounds nice to have multimedia on your phone, but when you're having to go through multiple clicks to do something simple, you'll get annoyed pretty quickly. And don't get me started on the weekly or in some cases, daily resets and hanging apps. Stick with the BB and move up to the 8700 if you like the QWERTY keyboard or the Pearl for Suretype. They do what they're supposed to. If you're frustrated with the BB OS, the WM5 OS will have you feeling worse.
In line with your post, I have found that if I don't tinker with the Pearl by adding apps, deleting OS files, etc. that it has worked quite well.

My Pearl works perfect as a phone, e-mail device and the media/video players work as advertised. Lastly, it takes decent pics "on the fly."

The only time my Pearl has gotten gummed up is when I started installing third party apps or otherwise tried tweaking it. No more of that. [albeit, I do have that Texas Hold'em game installed, and weather, and quickpalyer].

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 01-09-2007 at 05:27 PM..
Old 01-09-2007, 02:34 PM   #19
albiesf
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco
In line with your post, I have found that if I don't tinker with the Pearl by adding apps, deleting OS files, etc. that it has worked quite well.

My Pearl works perfect as a phone, e-mail device and the media/video players work as advertised. Lastly, it takes decent pics "on the fly."

The only time my Pearl has gotten gummed up is when I started installing third party apps or otherwise tried tweaking it. No more of that. [albeit, I do have that Texas Hold'em game installed, and weather, and quickpalyer.
Agreed, install only the third-party apps you will actually use. With most devices, the problems arise when people start adding/deleting apps and tweaking it too much.

"There's a time for compromise...it's called later".
Closed Thread