BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 09:59 AM   #1
Baldie
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9360
Carrier: Sprint
Default Whats Comparable to a Blackberry?

Please Login to Remove!

What non-blackberry phones are comparable to the functionality of a blackberry?

Old 02-05-2008, 10:28 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Comparable in what way? Size, functionality, dependability, user interface, media applications, etc.?

If you say all of those, the answer is none. There are some however that fill gaps in two or three of those. For instance the iPhone does very very well for media use (movies, music) and internet browser, but it doesn't do what the BB does in Email and functionality in other areas.

**this thread moved to Handhelds section**

Last edited by JSanders; 02-05-2008 at 10:31 AM..
Old 02-05-2008, 12:10 PM   #3
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Motorola's Q is a direct competitor. So is Nokia's E61i. Palm's Treo lineup is also a competitor. Samsung's Blackjack is another.

At least they claim to be competitors. I don't believe they are true competitors as no one comes close to duplicating the Blackberry experience, IMHO. More like they're "Blackberry Wannabe's".
Old 02-05-2008, 12:44 PM   #4
svines
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers

If you glue a Moto Q to the back of an E61i, you may get close to functionality, but you're sacrificing bb sex appeal somewhat.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:54 PM   #5
Baldie
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9360
Carrier: Sprint

I currently have a blackberrry 7100i with nextel but was considering moving over to the sprint side because they have a more variety of phones. They have the different blackberry models and have the treo models, etc. I love my blackberry mainly because I can have all my emails (gmail, hotmail, etc.) sent to my unit and reply from the unit. I also keep track of my account balances using "ascendo money". Size doesn't matter me as much as funcionality, applications, and user interface. I need something I can do everything on such as email accounts, surf the web, financial data. A friend who is in the cell phone industry told me that blackberry's have had alot of issues with the units however I've never experienced anything with mine.

I'm just wondering if I should stick with the blackberry lineup and if so which is the best model out right now? Sprint also has the TOUCH model by HTC. Is this worth looking at?

Old 02-05-2008, 02:39 PM   #6
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldie View Post
which is the best model out right now?
The answer, as always, if the one with the features you want/need. ;) Pick your keyboard, determine if you want a camera, GPS, WiFi, etc and go from there.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:49 PM   #7
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

16GB iPhone released today!!!!
Old 02-05-2008, 05:20 PM   #8
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrunner View Post
16GB iPhone released today!!!!
Meh. I'm the biggest Apple fanboi you're likely to find, but the iPhone will not sway me. I guess I'm too big a Blackberry fan to feel the iPhone part of the RDF spectrum.

EDIT: For those who don't know what the RDF is, here is the explanation. For years the Macintosh faithful paid more money for Apple computers knowing full well that they were less powerful than their pc counterparts. We did this gladly, with pride, and a fair amount of that snooty, "you wouldn't understand, you're a Windows user" thing. Some claimed that the only way for Apple to pull off this coup and to have created the Cult of Macintosh was to use a secret machine buried deep in the bowels of 1 Infinite Loop, Cupertino, California, that put out a Reality Distortion Field and convinced us to continue buying the latest and greatest Apple products. Price and performance be damned. We want our elegant Mac OSX operating system, whatever the cost. And those shiny Apple gadgets too! The buying patterns of the Macintosh faithful have defied all models of rational consumer behavior and are studied in business schools.

Last edited by rambo47; 02-05-2008 at 05:27 PM..
Old 02-06-2008, 06:43 AM   #9
Rolo1971
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Thats a very interesting point you made and I agree with you totally!
I hadn't heard this term before but it makes sense because I am one of those mac faithful people.

Rolo
Old 03-19-2008, 12:34 PM   #10
madlib
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
Meh. I'm the biggest Apple fanboi you're likely to find, but the iPhone will not sway me. I guess I'm too big a Blackberry fan to feel the iPhone part of the RDF spectrum.

EDIT: For those who don't know what the RDF is, here is the explanation. For years the Macintosh faithful paid more money for Apple computers knowing full well that they were less powerful than their pc counterparts. We did this gladly, with pride, and a fair amount of that snooty, "you wouldn't understand, you're a Windows user" thing. Some claimed that the only way for Apple to pull off this coup and to have created the Cult of Macintosh was to use a secret machine buried deep in the bowels of 1 Infinite Loop, Cupertino, California, that put out a Reality Distortion Field and convinced us to continue buying the latest and greatest Apple products. Price and performance be damned. We want our elegant Mac OSX operating system, whatever the cost. And those shiny Apple gadgets too! The buying patterns of the Macintosh faithful have defied all models of rational consumer behavior and are studied in business schools.
That is a VERY interesting read thanks!
Closed Thread