BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 04:14 PM   #21
alousteau

Model: 8350i
Carrier: Nextel

Please Login to Remove!

I was at Lowe's yesterday getting some tile and went down the av aisle and beleive it or not they have a stereo set of earbuds with the microphone on the cord. Now not sure if the plug is the right size but it was only 9.99 I almost got it but had too much in my hands already to grab it. I think they were made by phillips, I am sure they are not very great sound wise, but just though I would throw that out there for everyone! Wally World has nothing, I have checked all three here in town, Neither does Target. I am going to
Best Buy tonight to see what they have.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:27 PM   #22
BES admin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Droid
Carrier: Android -> AT&T

Just a note on adapters (I have the one listed above ADA3-XDA325M35FC(link)...)

Apparently there is an order of operation to using adapters, stereo headphones, and the 8100.

If you do:
1. Start the 8100 media player (wait for sound)
2. Plug in the adapter, to the 8100, nothing connected to the adapter yet (wait for audio to mute)
3. Plug stereo headphones (or stereo speakers) into adapter.

You get: Sound on one side. (or at least I did).

If you do:
2. Plug stereo headphones (or stereo speakers) into adapter.
3. Plug adapter in to 8100.

You get: Sound in both speakers (or at least I did).

Last edited by BES admin; 10-05-2006 at 03:13 PM..
Old 10-03-2006, 12:10 AM   #23
Ljay
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

I tried the radio shack adapter today and when I plugged it in...only had mono sound but when I pulled the adapter out about an eight of an inch the sound was in stereo. I made a small spacer for the adapter and now I get perfect stereo sound from my AKG noise cancelling headphones.

Ljay
Old 10-03-2006, 02:07 AM   #24
abgordon

Model: 8100
Carrier: t mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljay
I tried the radio shack adapter today and when I plugged it in...only had mono sound but when I pulled the adapter out about an eight of an inch the sound was in stereo. I made a small spacer for the adapter and now I get perfect stereo sound from my AKG noise cancelling headphones.

Ljay
Can anyone replicate this with an ebay purchased adapter?
Old 10-03-2006, 02:51 AM   #25
bakos

Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:

Ljay
Quote:
Originally Posted by abgordon
Can anyone replicate this with an ebay purchased adapter?
Yes, I replicated this with the 2.5mm headphones I was using for my Treo 650! I had tried to play with the jack before, but the 1/8" spacer did the trick. Outstanding!
Old 10-03-2006, 08:21 AM   #26
Ljay

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakos
Yes, I replicated this with the 2.5mm headphones I was using for my Treo 650! I had tried to play with the jack before, but the 1/8" spacer did the trick. Outstanding!
Cool...looks like we may have a simple solution for the headphone adapter issue.

Ljay
Old 10-03-2006, 08:26 AM   #27
tommyboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Are you 100% sure the sound is stereo? Just because you can hear it on both sides does not mean it's stereo. You need to find a song that has panning from left to right ear to confirm.

I can confirm that this the Palm/Treo adapter does not work in stereo even though you can hear from both sides when you pull out the headphones from the adapter so it's not plugged in all the way. This "workaround" is also not the best solution as any slight movement of the adapter/headphone jack put the song you are playing on pause.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:06 AM   #28
seidioseidio
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: AT&T | Verizon | T-Mobile | Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by BES admin
Just a note on the adapter listed above ADA3-XDA325M35FC(link)...

AApparently there is an order of operation to using adapters, stereo headphones, and the 8100.

If you do:
2. Plug in the adapter, to the 8100, nothing connected to the adapter yet (wait for audio to mute)
3. Plug stereo headphones (or stereo speakers) into adapter.

You get: Sound on one side. (or at least I did).

If you do:
2. Plug stereo headphones (or stereo speakers) into adapter.
3. Plug adapter in to 8100.

You get: Sound in both speakers (or at least I did).

Can anyone else replicate this scenereo?
I can :>.

I talked to our tech support department and the problem lies with the way the 8100 detects audio input. Here is a direct quote:

"This was a known issue when we did the test on the adapter samples, even on our BB8100 adapters. For this customer, he will get a L/R channel reversed sound anyway.

Basically, the 8100 has a headphone detection system. Once you plug in an adapter or any audio pins into the Blackberry, it will start detecting whether the R channel and the GND is connected. If the R channel and the GND is connected or the R channel is empty, the 8100 thinks a mono headset is plugged in. Therefore, all the music will only play on the one side which is the left side.

In other words, when the 8100 detects a resistance, the 8100 will think a stereo headset is plugged in. Then the music will be played in stereo."

For right now: Any headset MUST be plugged into an adaptor BEFORE it is plugged into the 8100 itself. Again, let me emphasize that this is an 8100 production issue and not a product related one. We are also in the process (and will have ready very shortly) just a simple 2.5mm>3.5mm without any microphone capablilities.

Hopefully, that clarifies things. Our folks are working on developments that may help to deal with this in a more elegant way. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

David
[email address]

Last edited by seidioseidio; 10-05-2006 at 03:33 PM..
Old 10-04-2006, 04:40 PM   #29
7100simpleisbetter

Model: 8120
PIN: Cushion
Carrier: TMobile
Default Sound reversed

Quote:
Originally Posted by seidioseidio
I can :>.

I talked to our tech support department and the problem lies with the way the 8100 detects audio input. Here is a direct quote:

"This was a known issue when we did the test on the adapter samples, even on our BB8100 adapters. For this customer, he will get a L/R channel reversed sound anyway.

Basically, the 8100 has a headphone detection system. Once you plug in an adapter or any audio pins into the Blackberry, it will start detecting whether the R channel and the GND is connected. If the R channel and the GND is connected or the R channel is empty, the 8100 thinks a mono headset is plugged in. Therefore, all the music will only play on the one side which is the left side.

In other words, when the 8100 detects a resistance, the 8100 will think a stereo headset is plugged in. Then the music will be played in stereo."

For right now: Any headset MUST be plugged into an adaptor BEFORE it is plugged into the 8100 itself. Again, let me emphasize that this is an 8100 production issue and not a product related one. We are also in the process (and will have ready very shortly) just a simple 2.5mm>3.5mm without any microphone capablilities.

Hopefully, that clarifies things. Our folks are working on developments that may help to deal with this in a more elegant way. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

David
[email address]
Funny this was posted today. I just got my Seidio adapter the ADA3-Whatever with microphone and did a stereo sound test. The adapter seems to work great but the sound is reversed, the Left sound comes out of the right speaker and Right sound comes out of the left speaker. There also seems to be a little white noise that is produced with the headset but other than that it seems to work fine as long as you aren't going to freak out when your zepplin or floyd songs with panning tracks are going backwards across your head.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:01 PM   #30
gsxr150
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Sprint

I'm trying to read through all this...and I'm totally lost now. Can someone give me a short answer. I'm new to this phone, and want to listen to music on headphones. What do I need to buy, and where?

Thanks much!
Old 10-04-2006, 06:31 PM   #31
7100simpleisbetter

Model: 8120
PIN: Cushion
Carrier: TMobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7100simpleisbetter
Funny this was posted today. I just got my Seidio adapter the ADA3-Whatever with microphone and did a stereo sound test. The adapter seems to work great but the sound is reversed, the Left sound comes out of the right speaker and Right sound comes out of the left speaker. There also seems to be a little white noise that is produced with the headset but other than that it seems to work fine as long as you aren't going to freak out when your zepplin or floyd songs with panning tracks are going backwards across your head.
To follow up on my post above, I found that the Seidio version with the microphone is awesome because the answer, hang up button on the adapter can also act as a Pause/Resume button even if you are not recieving a call so you don't have to even touch the actual Pearl to Pause and Resume play if someone comes into your office or you get a call on your desk phone, etc. I highly recommend and I found that the whitenoise was only in my test scenario.....don't know what I did with Audacity but I obviosly added white noise somehow.

7100sib
Old 10-05-2006, 02:38 AM   #32
bakos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy
Are you 100% sure the sound is stereo? Just because you can hear it on both sides does not mean it's stereo. You need to find a song that has panning from left to right ear to confirm.

I can confirm that the Palm/Treo adapter does not work in stereo even though you can hear from both sides when you pull out the headphones from the adapter so it's not plugged in all the way. This "workaround" is also not the best solution as any slight movement of the adapter/headphone jack put the song you are playing on pause.
Yes, it is stereo. I am not using an adapter as I had 2.5mm Treo headphones. If you use an adapter, make sure your headphones are plugged into the adapter before you plug the adapter into the 8100. It seems that otherwise the 8100 assumes you are using a mono headset.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:03 AM   #33
ImagineParadise
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:

Ljay
Sick man! Nice trick!
Old 10-05-2006, 04:49 AM   #34
Ljay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineParadise
Sick man! Nice trick!
Thanks
Old 10-05-2006, 12:44 PM   #35
ensignkid

Model: 8700

Quote:

Ljay
Must be your headphones. I have the Radioshack adapter and no luck...I've tried all the combo's in this thread as well. All it does for me is change the sound from the right ear to the left ear.

I cant win. :(
Old 10-05-2006, 12:45 PM   #36
ensignkid

Model: 8700

Quote:
Yes, it is stereo. I am not using an adapter as I had 2.5mm Treo headphones. If you use an adapter, make sure your headphones are plugged into the adapter before you plug the adapter into the 8100. It seems that otherwise the 8100 assumes you are using a mono headset.
I tried that it just continues to play out of the Pearl speaker and not through the headphones at all.

I wonder if the Rogers SW update corrects any of this?
Old 10-05-2006, 02:15 PM   #37
Ljay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensignkid
I tried that it just continues to play out of the Pearl speaker and not through the headphones at all.

I wonder if the Rogers SW update corrects any of this?
I have the Rogers software and I still had to screw around with the jack to get the stereo sound...looking at jack with a magnifier...the jack doesn't look put together all that well. I wonder how many people will still have issues once RIM releases their own stereo headphones? I'd bet quite a few people will still have problems.

Ljay
Old 10-05-2006, 03:36 PM   #38
gsxr150
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Sprint

I'm trying to read through all this...and I'm totally lost now. Can someone give me a short answer. I'm new to this phone, and want to listen to music stereo on headphones. What do I need to buy, and where?

Thanks much!
Old 10-05-2006, 04:09 PM   #39
laz305
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100c
PIN: 23F0D62F
Carrier: AT&T
Default 2.5mm adapter

ok everybody here is what we all are looking for
ok well I can't post it yet so hit me up if you want link
[email address]
and for a grand total of $6 you can't beat it
Old 10-05-2006, 04:31 PM   #40
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxr150
I'm trying to read through all this...and I'm totally lost now. Can someone give me a short answer. I'm new to this phone, and want to listen to music stereo on headphones. What do I need to buy, and where?

Thanks much!

I haven't gotten a headset yet either, but I have gathered from the feedback here that these are good choices:

Jabra C220
Jabra C120s
Motorola ROKR headset

Prices on the Jabras range from around $15.00-$25.00, with the ROKR coming in a little cheaper. The only difference bewteen the two Jabra headsets is that the C120s is an "in the ear " configuration, while the C220 is "over the ear". Haven't had any luck finding any of these locally (I'm in Seattle), but Amazon and E-Bay carry all three.
Closed Thread