BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 05:19 PM   #21
TheWastedYears
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Pearl
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

I played around w/ this client, and the bad outweighs the good (for a Nextel user, anyway.) Battery life and spotty low signal are the tools of our trade, so this program's like pouring salt on an open wound.

Considering how much time/effort Rambler (and SRA) have put into developing a free client for Blackberries, you're going to get some VERY heated responses when you say something negative about Ramble IM, especially if its inaccurate.

Are you sure there's nothing on your BES preventing you from connecting? There are plenty of Verizon/BES Blackberries using Ramble. I have three of them sitting in my office.

Nextel 7520 | BES 4.0 | HS810 Headset
PIN: 400809E0

"a One that isn't cold is scarcely a One at all"
Old 11-03-2005, 05:46 PM   #22
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I bet its his BES thats not letting him connect. Its apparent he doesnt listen because he took a jab at Kontiki even know mark asked them to stop
Old 11-03-2005, 10:14 PM   #23
Softcentral

Model: 7730
Default Battery Usage Concerns

Yak On! users, we were alerted to this thread and the concerns with battery usage by one of our beta testers. We are working to quickly address the issue. We would like to learn more information from those users which are experiencing excessive battery usage. In particular, what is your model number and how often are you sending instant messages. Any details you would like to provide will be a help for us as we work to address the issue.

Please send any comments and concerns to us at [email address]. Your feedback to us will help us make Yak On! a better product for you.

Sincerely,
The Softcentral Team
Old 11-04-2005, 04:07 AM   #24
Mr Pink57
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Sprint

I use a 7100i on Nextel

I use it lightly on my BB since I am at work most of the day, I only use AIM and do not use MSN at all.

pink
Old 11-04-2005, 05:21 AM   #25
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softcentral
Yak On! users, we were alerted to this thread
Please check this thread out too:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?p=43910
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 11-05-2005, 05:17 PM   #26
Softcentral

Model: 7730
Default Yak On Beta 1.0480 to address battery usage issue

We have released Yak On! Beta 1.0480, the primary focus of this release is a reduction in network and hence battery usage on the device.

Changes:

* Considerably reduced battery usage. We have turned off the field trace log and reduced service pings by over half. This significantly reduces the impact on your Blackberry's battery.
* Fixed a login bug that would block logins for @msn.com MSN users. MSN can re-direct logins to another server and Yak On! didn't handle this properly. This affects mostly msn.com email addresses. Yak On! now handles the login redirect correctly.
* Fixed a bug in the set away screen that could cause Yak On! to crash.

Known Issues:

* Sound profile does not back up properly when Yak On! is running. To back up your device, close Yak On! first so that your sound profiles backup properly. We are working on a fix for this issue

To install Yak-On Beta 1.0480:
1. Close Yak On!

2. Backup your sound profile data and options using the "Advanced" option in the Blackberry desktop software, under "Backup and Restore".

3. Uninstall the previous beta by going to HomeScreen->Options->Applications->YakOn! and selecting delete from the Track wheel menu. You may be prompted to reboot the device before the removal is complete.

4. Option 1: Point your Blackberry's browser to http://www.yak-on.com/beta_download/ and choose YakOn.jad. Clicking on it in the browser will prompt you to install Yak On!

5. Option 2: Download YakOn_Beta.zip to your PC and unzip it. Connect your Blackberry to your computer using the USB cable. Using the Desktop Manager’s Application loader, select YakOn.alx in the YakOn directory. Click okay and the Application Loader will install Yak On! onto your Blackberry.

6. Using the restore option in the Blackberry desktop software, restore the sound profiles backed up in step 2.

Please send any comments, concerns, bug reports, and questions to [email address]
Old 11-05-2005, 09:27 PM   #27
TheMatrix
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100t
Carrier: T-Mobile

Things preventing me from using Yak On:

1. No option to allow AIM logins from multiple locations.
2. No option for timestamp on messages recieved/sent.
3. *IMPORTANT* No ability to see what a user's away message is without messaging them. Most of my contacts leave AIM on 24/7, and periodically update their away message throughout the day. With Verichat I could view their information, and see what their away message was without having to IM them.

Other than that, I like it.

TM
Old 11-05-2005, 10:51 PM   #28
andrebsd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703
Carrier: MetroPCS

Now if there was only a way to remove the msn account information (deleting and reinstalling the program doesn't work)... as I can't get it to sign on with msn; only aim works... So I keep getting the stupid message every 2 minutes now saying its going to try again.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:46 PM   #29
roofus
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PassP
Carrier: Bell
Question BES compatible

Is anyone using this program on a BES. I am using a Bell Mobility 7250 on Mailstreet BES and it says "signing in" but never completes the process. The were some hints earlier in the thread about BES being a problem, but no answers.

(Tried both MSN and AIM, with latest version of yak-on.)

Last edited by roofus; 11-06-2005 at 01:57 PM..
Old 11-07-2005, 02:42 PM   #30
abhorrentbm
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofus
Is anyone using this program on a BES. I am using a Bell Mobility 7250 on Mailstreet BES and it says "signing in" but never completes the process. The were some hints earlier in the thread about BES being a problem, but no answers.

(Tried both MSN and AIM, with latest version of yak-on.)
I'm on a BES using a BB7520 with Nextel - worked with no issues. I didn't change any settings, just put in my UN/PW, logged on, and that was it.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:13 PM   #31
jetspeedz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrebsd
Now if there was only a way to remove the msn account information (deleting and reinstalling the program doesn't work)... as I can't get it to sign on with msn; only aim works... So I keep getting the stupid message every 2 minutes now saying its going to try again.

i got the same damn issue,, tried to uninstall and reinstall still there?

any updates on this issue
Old 11-08-2005, 06:29 PM   #32
jbel2112

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Does the constant service pings used by yak-on count as data usage? Does anyone know if this generally is included in unlimited data plans? If I am happy with version 1.047 do I need to upgrade to 1.048?
Thanks...
Old 11-08-2005, 07:47 PM   #33
_driver
No longer Registered.

Model: 7520

I like IM+ !
IM+ supports 6 services : AOL, ICQ, MSN, Y!, Jabber & Google talk.
It has many features and supports HTTP, TCP & WAP connect.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:14 AM   #34
Boy Genius
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: FFFFFFF
Carrier: AT&T

VeriChat is the worst IM program ever created for any device, nothing but system connectivity errors and then signs you off, Yak-On is the best I have used, it has been signed on for 3 days straight, leave it on at night aswell and havnt missed one IM

The Boy Genius Report
Old 11-09-2005, 12:24 PM   #35
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I have been signed on to verichat for a week now and no disconnects so I am not sure what issues you are having with it but works flawlessly for me. Yak ate my battery in a few hours
Old 11-09-2005, 05:29 PM   #36
roofus
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PassP
Carrier: Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by boygenius
VeriChat is the worst IM program ever created for any device, nothing but system connectivity errors and then signs you off, Yak-On is the best I have used, it has been signed on for 3 days straight, leave it on at night aswell and havnt missed one IM
hyperbole: noun, exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:40 PM   #37
jetspeedz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: ATT

ok the new beta version has fixed this problem with storing accounts but there is still the issue of having the yak files removed from the bb once the application is deleted
Old 11-09-2005, 07:49 PM   #38
Boy Genius
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: FFFFFFF
Carrier: AT&T

And how would that make sense? Me stating my feelings on a particular software client? VeriChat has never worked for me or anyone of my clients on 7290, 8700 on Cingular or T-Mobile, if it works flawlessly on other networks great, It has never worked and I get nothing but complaints...Nothing but good feedback on Yak-On...uses too much battery life? Boo-hoo get a charger. Everyone has there own requirements in a device, 90% of all the people I deal with have sidekicks solely for use of AIM, then they have a phone, and blackberry for email. If something can replace a sidekick and work well why is that not something to write about?

The Boy Genius Report
Old 11-11-2005, 12:38 PM   #39
sirgruffil
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetspeedz
ok the new beta version has fixed this problem with storing accounts but there is still the issue of having the yak files removed from the bb once the application is deleted
I believe many (perhaps most) third party apps are bad about removing trailing traces of themselves. Often I've uninstalled then reinstalled/upgraded an app and it has mysteriously found all it's original settings without me re-entering them. I guess Windows apps do the same, but at least there I can dive in and manually weed them out of the registry.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:43 PM   #40
sirgruffil
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
Carrier: Vodafone

I received an email notifying me that a new beta has been released. Don't know if it addresses anyone's problems:

11/10/2005

Greetings Yak On! Beta testers

Yak On! Beta 1.0485 is now available

Changes:

• Message delivery confirmation with retry has been added. Now when you send an instant message, confirmation is requested from the IM server. The message is stored for automatic retry (once every 30 seconds) until confirmation is received that the message was received by the IM server. This will help improve reliability when using Yak On! in a low signal area
• Changes to further reduce battery usage have been added.
• The turn around for networking errors is now 30 seconds vs 2 minutes. This will speed sign in when a transient glitch in networking occurs.
• AIM/MSN saved account information deletion. You can now delete all stored accounts using a menu option in the Sign on screen
• Connection management after a call has changed. Previously Yak On! would always sign off and back on after a call. After experimenting with some networking options exposed in the latest API update from Blackberry, we have discovered that connections are now more stable across short calls. The regular re-connect logic will catch dropped connections, we no longer automatically sign off and back on after a call. This will improve usability for heavy phone users.
• Added a hot key option in the buddy list to jump to the New Messages group. Press alt-n on your keyboard to jump from anywhere in the buddy list straight to the New Messages group. This improves usability for users with large buddy lists.

Known Issues

• We have not yet fixed the sound profile backup issue. You must still close Yak On! before backing up your device so that your sound profiles properly backup. Now that major items have been cleared off the fix list, this is next in queue to be fixed
• A UI element to note IM's pending confirmation needs to be added so that the user is aware that there are messages not yet confirmed by the IM server.
Closed Thread