Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 02:42 PM   #1
Diane C

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Firewall issue on BB curve 8330, but am BIS not BES

Please Login to Remove!

Somehow, my new BB curve 8330 (OS 4.3) purchased on EBAY has encountered a firewall issue. I am setup for BIS, not BES but apparently there are some lingering settings that think there is a firewall governed by IT policy. This is obviously preventing me from loading 3rd party apps.

I am unable to remove the "enable" for options-security-firewall via the BB handheld. I have read the FAQ on "Removing IT policy" where the authors (thank you 7100simpleisbetter and barjohn) suggested backup via Desktop, then a "resettofactory" command., reboot, then restore backup. I am not an IT person, so I'm abit confused on "run the JL_Cmder". Can I not just do "Wipe Handheld" under the options-security?
Old 10-18-2009, 02:58 PM   #2
Sydman
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: Verizon BIS

No I just went through that Wipe Handheld will not remove IT policy have to do the JL Cmder. JL is really easy just download it extract and run the exe and it pops up in command window and you just hit 5 for restore and it takes like 10 seconds if not less. Then you just restore your stuff.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:50 PM   #3
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Step by step here:

Remove IT Policy - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 10-18-2009, 10:46 PM   #4
Diane C

I'm a non-technie, so forgive me if I ask the obvious:

In reading the "Remove IT Policy", it says use Desktop Manager and do backup, then close desktop manager. Presumably you still have the BB hooked up to the computer via USB, correct? Then you download the JL_cmdr and run the executable, correct? Then choose resettofactory (option#5).

Then reboot (of course) the BB

Then hook up via USB to Desktop Manager and restore from backup

Then go through long process of reactivating account, email, etc. Sigh. This will be my third setup in about two weeks. I am not confident enough I will do it all correctly, so the Verizon staff are used to my face. I will be paying for it presumably but at this point, I'd rather have it right.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:57 PM   #5
Sydman
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted

What I did last night...
1. Downloaded JL from the thread on this forum.
2. Extracted using winrar.
3. Did a backup of device.
4. Leaving it plugged in I ran the JL and a command window popped up with the JL home screen.
5. Hit #5 for a factory restore.
6. Let it finish and reboot and did a battery pull for good measure.
7. Phone came back up and did a restore with DM all was well. I left my phone plugged in through the whiole process.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:50 AM   #6
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane C View Post
Then go through long process of reactivating account, email, etc.
If you're on BIS you don't need to reactivate anything. Once you're done just resend your service books to be safe.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:24 AM   #7
Diane C

Thumbs down Removing IT policy - one further question on desktop mgr and OS systems

Sounds simple. I have been through 3 BBs (all BB curve 8330) purchased on Ebay (in last 3 weeks!) trying to resolve one issue or another so I'm being doubly cautious before I try anything. One further question:

My current BB#3 has OS 4.3. The last time I did backup on my Desktop Manager it was with BB#1 that had 4.5.

The first time I hooked up Desktop Mgr w #3 BB was to load my backup from #1, I had the "checking for updates" message. I had heard that can be dangerous, so I terminated that, then clicked on restore. For the most part, my data from the OS 4.5 backup installed on my 4.3 except for contacts. Fortunately, they were also in my gmail account so I used google sync to get them on HH. Obviously there are a few programs that come with 4.5 that aren't on 4.3 such as Documents to Go so I expected a few bumps.

Do I HAVE to upgrade to 4.5 to make EVERYTHING WORK or can I just use 4.3. I know the JL_Cmder will work on 4.3, so that's my focus. I'd rather not do an upgrade and then do the remove IT policy. I'd rather try one thing at a time to be safe. Just want to make sure that when I do my backup via Desktop that it can be restored properly.

Do I need to do something else in Desktop to have it accept the 4.3 version seamlessly? Or will the act of doing a backup on BB#3 with 4.3 do the trick?
Old 10-19-2009, 10:27 AM   #8
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

You can use 4.3 just fine, but you'd be best served to make a new backup before starting the JL_Commander wipe process. You can update the OS at a later date once everything is working the way you want.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:53 AM   #9
Diane C

Absolutely! Planned on doing a new backup, but just wanted to make sure the 4.3 wouldn't screw things up. I'm getting paranoid by now. Thanks.
Closed Thread