Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 12:03 PM   #1
drewaz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7130e
Carrier: Sprint
Default display of network time

Please Login to Remove!

When traveling to a new time zone is there a way to get my 7130e to display the correct time? Mine continues to display my home time.

If I change the time zone in the settings sections the times in the calendar change.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:18 PM   #2
Chinasaur
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Z30
Carrier: T-Mobile

Just to be sure..under Options: Date/Time. Is your Date/Time Source set to "Network". If it is, restarting device doesn't force it to sync again and get new time?

Other than that, I have no suggestions..sorry.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:08 PM   #3
drewaz

Yeah rebooting doesn't change anything. The correct time shows up as network time in the date time page but the time on the start page isn't updated.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:16 PM   #4
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewaz
If I change the time zone in the settings sections the times in the calendar change.
That is the way it supposed to work. When you enter a calendar event, it assumes your entering it based on your current time zone unless you specified a different time zone. 1:00 PM CST = 2:00 PM EST When you change your time zone, your calendar should show the appoints at the proper local time, assuming you entered the event in your calendar properly.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-12-2006, 06:54 PM   #5
rcbjr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700

Additionally, why don't you want the times in the calendar to change? As was said, if they are entered correctly for the time zone the appointment occurs, they will sho the correct time for wherever you maybe at the time. Or the appointment time will be correct for the time zone that is currently on the Blackberry. And an added advantage is that it works exactly like Outlook, which is set up to work with telecons with participants in multiple time zones. Enter the meeting request correctly, and when the request is accepted all partipants calender show the correct local time.

Learn to use it correctly and your life will become much easier using the BB across time zones.

Hope this helps.
Rcbjr
Old 07-14-2006, 05:08 PM   #6
drewaz

Well I like to use my cell phone as my watch. It would be nice to have the local time on the device when I boot it up after getting off the plane.

Regarding the calendar times: when I changed the BB time to reflect the local time it changed the times in the calendar. As a result the tilme for my airlane flight was incorrect.

I'm very new to a BB and like it but it would be helpful to me if it could automatically update for the local time.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:19 PM   #7
rcbjr

But if you had set it for the correct time zone when you entered it, it would have alerted you at the correct time. You entered a flight time for the return in your local time zone not the time zone where the flight would be. That is what I meant about properly entering the appointments, it's just one extra entry and it saves a lot of problems.

Hope this helps
Rcbjr
Old 07-14-2006, 05:31 PM   #8
drewaz

Thanks for your help. Do you know if there is a way to have a BB automatically show the correct local time zone like a cell phone does?
Old 07-14-2006, 09:41 PM   #9
rcbjr

Not with the current OS, to some it's disappointing, but maybe in a future version.

Hope this helps.
Rcbjr
Old 07-14-2006, 10:55 PM   #10
drewaz

Rcbjr thanks for taking the time to respond to my posts. All in all I love my BB. I have instant access to email and the web which is great since I am not always near a computer at work.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:28 PM   #11
rcbjr

Your quite welcome, always willing to help someone that likes to learn. I can understand the desire for automatic time zone changes, but to me it's not a killer and I can understand why it would be very inconvient for some.

Rcbjr
Old 07-15-2006, 10:55 AM   #12
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7100/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewaz
Well I like to use my cell phone as my watch. It would be nice to have the local time on the device when I boot it up after getting off the plane.

Regarding the calendar times: when I changed the BB time to reflect the local time it changed the times in the calendar. As a result the tilme for my airlane flight was incorrect.

I'm very new to a BB and like it but it would be helpful to me if it could automatically update for the local time.
In the short time I've been on the board, this has come up a number of times. I don't see the big deal.

First, as another poster stated, enter the times for your appointments and events at the local time where the appointment or event occurs. The BB even has a time zone selection when making a calendar entry. If you have things like your flight reservations automatically added to your calendar, you may have to adjust the times to corespond to the local times in the arriving or departing city, but I are that as no big deal.

Change the BB time zone setting when you know you are going from one to another, or when you arrive. As others have pointed out, your calendar entries will correctly adjust to the time on your BB if you correctly entered your appointment times in the first place.

Personally, I like having control over the BB time zone display and wouldn't want it to adjust automatically But that's only my opinion.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:17 AM   #13
knonfs

Model: 7520
Carrier: NEXTEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinasaur
Just to be sure..under Options: Date/Time. Is your Date/Time Source set to "Network". If it is, restarting device doesn't force it to sync again and get new time?

Other than that, I have no suggestions..sorry.
You are the man!!!

I've been scratching my head for a while on this customer's BB. Ahhhh, he changed the option to "blackberry" (don't ask him how), seting it back to "Network" did the trick
Old 08-16-2006, 09:00 AM   #14
CanuckBB

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbjr
Additionally, why don't you want the times in the calendar to change? As was said, if they are entered correctly for the time zone the appointment occurs, they will sho the correct time for wherever you maybe at the time. Or the appointment time will be correct for the time zone that is currently on the Blackberry. And an added advantage is that it works exactly like Outlook, which is set up to work with telecons with participants in multiple time zones. Enter the meeting request correctly, and when the request is accepted all partipants calender show the correct local time.

Learn to use it correctly and your life will become much easier using the BB across time zones.

Hope this helps.
Rcbjr
'Corrctly' is of course subjective. First off, Outlook does not let you specify time zones when entering an appointment, it uses your computer time zone. Second, I'm one of those simple folks who travel a lot. I put in app't for meetings in other cities weeks in advance. When I enter a 0900 meeting I want it to show as 0900, not 1200 because I'll be in Vancouver that day. YMMV. I simply change the TIME on the Berry and leave the TZ aone.
Closed Thread