BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 05:32 PM   #1
KGlennCole

Model: 9810
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Thumbs down Torch 9810 - Docs to Go Sync - Drag and drop? You have to be kidding me.

Please Login to Remove!

I have been trying to resolve how to automatically sync Desktop files with device files for several days now. Pre-9810 (a 9800), I was able to launch a Desktop version of Docs to Go and *automatically* sync with the device and vice versa.

After several calls/runarounds with AT&T (we can't help), a few e-mails with DataViz (RIM acquired the BB version in Sep 2010; it's not ours anymore) and 2 calls to RIM today (over 90 minutes total), the solution - Drag & Drop. You have to be kidding me.

And, RIM wants to continue being a business phone? I have nearly 100 client files that periodically needed synchronized. Now, I have to review the date & time stamp on *both* the device and my desktop rather than clicking a sync button while I get ready to go out and meet clients. Can you say, "waste of time" or "non-productivity"? I knew you could (/obscure Mr. Rogers).

RIM markets itself to a great deal as for the business community. As a 30+ year business person, I find this latest 'step-back' preposterous.

I realize the OS 7 version is new. I would *hope* that RIM is developing a newer Desktop version compatible w/OS 7. I have NO problem paying for it when and if it becomes available. Heck, I'd be a beta user!

Should this be the position of RIM, I will strongly consider an iPhone. I love the 9810. Great phone. The only advantage to the BB right now is push e-mail. I'll eat the cost of a switch as the $$ spent (including switching from AT&T to Verizon) will be re-couped many times over with savings in my 'time' and less aggravation.

RIM - Can you hear me now?
Old 09-20-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: Torch 9810 - Docs to Go Sync - Drag and drop? You have to be kidding me.

[email address]

Maybe that will help. This forum is not associated with RIM. It is privately owned and staffed with volunteers.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:21 PM   #3
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Default Re: Torch 9810 - Docs to Go Sync - Drag and drop? You have to be kidding me.

OS7 is still only a few weeks old. It's been a LONG time since anyone released a major new OS version with full compatibility with all available apps. Even one the company itself owns! This is why corporations typically do not upgrade to the latest/greatest version of ANYthing. Give them some time. RIM does not want to fail. They're working on it.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:40 PM   #4
KGlennCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
OS7 is still only a few weeks old. It's been a LONG time since anyone released a major new OS version with full compatibility with all available apps. Even one the company itself owns! This is why corporations typically do not upgrade to the latest/greatest version of ANYthing. Give them some time. RIM does not want to fail. They're working on it.
I understand, but RIM has positioned itself mostly as a BUSINESS product. You think they would have thought of BUSINESS users and their productivity concerns before releasing 1/2 a product and recommending a backwards approach. JMHO.

If the iPhone had push e-mail, I think I switch immediately. I also would switch from AT&T (20 years) to Verizon just to send a message to both AT&T and RIM.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:41 PM   #5
KGlennCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
[email address]

Maybe that will help. This forum is not associated with RIM. It is privately owned and staffed with volunteers.
I know and understand that.. just wished to vent and *hope* more connected and knowledgable people might have an insight.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:24 AM   #6
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGlennCole View Post
I understand, but RIM has positioned itself mostly as a BUSINESS product. You think they would have thought of BUSINESS users and their productivity concerns before releasing 1/2 a product and recommending a backwards approach. JMHO.

If the iPhone had push e-mail, I think I switch immediately. I also would switch from AT&T (20 years) to Verizon just to send a message to both AT&T and RIM.
RIM's desperation has led to their releasing products far sooner than they would have just a couple years ago. We've seen this with Android and iOS too. Nobody is immune from "tuning" their product cycle to match Wall Street's agenda.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:09 PM   #7
alphasports
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: Rogers (CAN) / A1 (AUT) / Swisscom (SUI) / T-Mobile (USA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGlennCole View Post
Actually it does if you run Exchange, which is free via Google Apps and the domain of your choice. Works like a champ and syncs transparently/universally across all platforms.

Fanatics might insist that Exchange is not "push" like BB, but when my iP4 "pings" less than 10 sec after sending an email from my desktop, that's good enough for me.

I'm no iphone fanboy, I use both iP4 and BB I keep coming back to BB. They have become such different platforms that I've learned that core functionality is really the only thing that matters.

Cheers