BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 04:09 PM   #1
jamierosskennedy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Cannot click when phone is laying?

Please Login to Remove!

When my Storm is laying on my desk, if I click the screen, it does nothing? Any idea why this is?

FYI... I do have a rubber skin on my Storm.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:17 PM   #2
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: Ask

Hmm. This should not happen. I have a silicon skin case on mine as well. Both of my Storms would activate if the screen was pressed as they lay flat.

Did you happen to put that ZAGG invisible shield on your screen? I've seen a video where the exact thing happened with the ZAGG shield on the Storm screen.

If not. Then take your Storm back to the store and explain. You might have a bad unit.

Verizon 9530
Old 02-11-2009, 04:21 PM   #3
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Here is the video with Storm and Zagg Invisible Shield.

YouTube - Invisishield_1.MOV

Verizon 9530
Old 02-11-2009, 04:21 PM   #4
jamierosskennedy

I have a screen protector, just the Verizon one I got when I got my Storm?
Old 02-11-2009, 04:26 PM   #5
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Then you should not be having this problem. I had that store shield on my previous Storm.

Go see your VZW tech.

Verizon 9530
Old 02-11-2009, 04:31 PM   #6
2 Samuel 22
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 96xx
PIN: Firing
Carrier: Southern Bell, PrimeCo, Omnipoint, United Telecom

I eventually removed the factory screen protector on mine, the sensitivity was not to my liking.

You may also want to check your touchscreen settings: Options>Screen/Keyboard

I have mine set to 100, 100, (High) 6.

If you haven't already looked at this, there's some good info here:
Settings for a Better Storm Keyboard

If all else fails, take it in to your local VZW store.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:34 AM   #7
BBDummy
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 30184580

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamierosskennedy View Post
When my Storm is laying on my desk, if I click the screen, it does nothing? Any idea why this is?

FYI... I do have a rubber skin on my Storm.
This very behavior drove me nuts for quite a while. I know the mechanics of how the screen operates (there's an electrical field over the screen; when you touch it, it draws charge to your finger; measurements of the charge are taken, probably at the corners, and translated to x-y coordinates), so it seems like a sufficiently thick screen protector, if non-conductive, could interfere with that (which is why your screen won't do anything if you try to interact with it wearing gloves). At one point, I also thought that you had to have a conductive path to the metal backplate of the Storm for the screen to work...this seemed to be empirically true, but I could come up with no technical explanation for why it had to be that way. The truth seems to be somewhere between the two--if you cover your screen AND the backplate, the screen stops responding.

Eventually, I just decided to take off the screen protector, stop using the rubber case, and go with the phone insurance.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:40 PM   #8
jamierosskennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBDummy View Post
This very behavior drove me nuts for quite a while. I know the mechanics of how the screen operates (there's an electrical field over the screen; when you touch it, it draws charge to your finger; measurements of the charge are taken, probably at the corners, and translated to x-y coordinates), so it seems like a sufficiently thick screen protector, if non-conductive, could interfere with that (which is why your screen won't do anything if you try to interact with it wearing gloves). At one point, I also thought that you had to have a conductive path to the metal backplate of the Storm for the screen to work...this seemed to be empirically true, but I could come up with no technical explanation for why it had to be that way. The truth seems to be somewhere between the two--if you cover your screen AND the backplate, the screen stops responding.

Eventually, I just decided to take off the screen protector, stop using the rubber case, and go with the phone insurance.
Thanks.

I have a question about insurance:

a) How much is it a month?

b) What classifies a phone for a free replacement?

c) Can you replace your phone as many times as you want?

d) Is getting a replacement a hassle?
Old 02-12-2009, 03:36 PM   #9
BBDummy
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 30184580

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamierosskennedy View Post
Thanks.

I have a question about insurance:

a) How much is it a month?

b) What classifies a phone for a free replacement?

c) Can you replace your phone as many times as you want?

d) Is getting a replacement a hassle?

a) $6
b-d) I've never actually had to file a claim, so I can't answer.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:29 PM   #10
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Jamie,

As a Verizon customer in the U.S. I have the $4.99 monthly payment for Asurion, which you get through Verizon.

The plan covers anything not covered by OR after the manufacturer's warranty expires. It covers theft, loss, damage, etc. I know for sure that you get two (2) claims per 12 month period for up $1500 in equipment replacement per claim. The claims you make directly through Asurion. You can get one of the Asurion books at any VZW store. I have never made a claim through them so I can't tell you whether its easy or a pain in the butt.

While under warranty, you get at many valid claims as you can make I would surmise. There are people in this forum who can attest to 5-6 warranty replacements. I have made several warranty claims and had my Storm replaced once at it was rather quick and painless.

Verizon 9530

Last edited by XelhaBB; 02-12-2009 at 04:34 PM..
Old 02-12-2009, 05:28 PM   #11
dflemings66

Default Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelhaBB View Post
Jamie,

As a Verizon customer in the U.S. I have the $4.99 monthly payment for Asurion, which you get through Verizon.

The plan covers anything not covered by OR after the manufacturer's warranty expires. It covers theft, loss, damage, etc. I know for sure that you get two (2) claims per 12 month period for up $1500 in equipment replacement per claim. The claims you make directly through Asurion. You can get one of the Asurion books at any VZW store. I have never made a claim through them so I can't tell you whether its easy or a pain in the butt.

While under warranty, you get at many valid claims as you can make I would surmise. There are people in this forum who can attest to 5-6 warranty replacements. I have made several warranty claims and had my Storm replaced once at it was rather quick and painless.
Claims through Asurion are very easy. There is a $50 co-pay per claim. I have made 4 claims over the past few years for my daughter's and husband's phones. Had new phone in hand next day each time. One thing though - if the phone is either lost or stollen, you need to file a police report.

Very much worth the money in my opinion.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:14 PM   #12
lambdacoreaz
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 304AEE5F
Carrier: VZW

Actually, this happened to me a while back
it would be helpful to know the OS you had, I am assuming .75
This was attributed to my accelerometer shutting down and somewhat "locking" the screen while it was on its back...notice one thing though, if you lift it up slightly does it resume to work? tilt it a bit and it should come back to life.

This can be remedied by upgrading your OS or simply doing a battery pull which will fix it temporarily, but won't be the problem solver...

I doubt its a conductivity issue because that would cause your screen to stop functioning even when in your hand...

hope this helps...

7105t>8320>9530 whats a curve?
Closed Thread