Old 11-25-2008, 10:33 PM   #1
BBDummy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: 30184580
Carrier: Verizon
Default Fellow Storm Owners...Help Me Test a Theory

Please Login to Remove!

I was getting remarkably frustrated with screen non-responsiveness on my Storm today. I first thought it was a memory issue, so I removed all the programs I could that I never use (Blackberry Maps and VZNavigator (I use Google Maps), Brick Breaker and Word Mole (no time for games), BBMessenger (I use GTalk and can't keep up with my friends' ever-changing PINs anyway), and Help (which, incidentally, seems to be ported straight over from a traditional Blackberry and is therefore useless)). I thought I had it solved, since everything ran great for several hours.

I just tried to make a phone call, and...nothing. Laggy screen again. Pi**ed off, I was just about to pull the battery when I noticed something strange. As soon as I removed the silicon protective cover from the device to access the battery door, the screen started working again. This has me wondering if the use of an insulative material for a protective cover is messing with the screen, and, if so, how the heck do I protect the rest of the device.

I ask as many of you to try this out as possible and test my theory. Test your screen without a conductive pathway from the device into your body--grip it by the plastic at the top and bottom of the screen, rest it on an insulator (a plastic sheet), or try typing with it resting on a wooden desktop instead of in your hand.

Let me know what you find.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:54 PM   #2
webmstrk9
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: VZW

Protective film on the battery door or screen? If on the screen, that makes total sense, door, eh, I'm not buying it.

Though, I have neither on mine except for a screen protector and I've only had one bout with sluggishness and that was with a 2 GPS apps still open, AIM, Gtalk, messages, browser, and a couple of others which I cant remember. Once I closed the GPS apps, it was all hunky dory again.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:00 PM   #3
lambdacoreaz
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 304AEE5F
Carrier: VZW

unlikely because whenever you hold your phone you are essentially grounded (unless you're in a big metal box of some sort)

point and case, nothing on a phone is conductive, nor are you a conductor to your phone, and even if you were, the circuit is still open, meaning, no current, hence, no interference...the odds of your body being the source is probably as much of a chance as you getting hit by lightning, but i can kind of see that you are in a place where you need some kind of answer...

it can be a number of things...have you tried the paper trick? very handy...

7105t>8320>9530 whats a curve?

Last edited by lambdacoreaz; 11-25-2008 at 11:01 PM..
Old 11-26-2008, 06:05 AM   #4
JavaCofe

Model: 9500
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone

I've left my screen cover on same I did with my iPod touch, touch response doesn't seem all that lagged except using app menus and gMaps w/ GPS.

typing with sureType is quickety quick though, assuming you/it know how to spell!
Old 11-26-2008, 09:40 AM   #5
BBDummy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambdacoreaz View Post
unlikely because whenever you hold your phone you are essentially grounded (unless you're in a big metal box of some sort)

point and case, nothing on a phone is conductive, nor are you a conductor to your phone, and even if you were, the circuit is still open, meaning, no current, hence, no interference...the odds of your body being the source is probably as much of a chance as you getting hit by lightning, but i can kind of see that you are in a place where you need some kind of answer...

Still...weird. The screen ignores every single input when I have it sitting on my desk, and registers every single input when it is in my hands. Haven't tried the paper trick yet.

BTW, I'm not referring to use of a screen protector--that's a must have (I'm currently using the statics they sold at the VZW store; my Invisible Shield is waiting for me at home tonight, though I must admit that I'm wary of doing a wet application to the open-sided screen of the Storm). I'm talking about the silicone "phone condom" from the VZW store.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:23 AM   #6
koki
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: BIG RED

well i noticed that when the phone is laying down on the desk it doesnt do a good job of catching my finger, but as soon as i pick it up it, catches every touch...i wonder why.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:04 PM   #7
BBDummy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by koki View Post
well i noticed that when the phone is laying down on the desk it doesnt do a good job of catching my finger, but as soon as i pick it up it, catches every touch...i wonder why.
Exact same thing I've noticed.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:35 PM   #8
hudres
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: n/a
Carrier: verizon
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambdacoreaz View Post

Actually you are not grounded in most cases. If you are standing barefoot in water, you may be grounded. If you are wearing rubber soled shoes (sneakers, track shoes or whatever you call them) you are definitely not grounded. What you are is a capacitive link to ground. This means you can pass a strong AC signal but not a DC signal (not likely but theoretically possible). Electronics 102 73
Closed Thread