Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 08:05 AM   #1
tom_ireland

Model: 8300
Carrier: O2
Default MDS Error

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I'm currently using BES 4.0, but I'm having problems with the MDS. When I try to start the service from BES nothing happens. When I try to start it in the Services MMC I get the following error message:

"Could not start the Blackberry Mobile Data Service on Local Computer
error 203: The system could not find the environment option that was entered".

It's trying to run the service using a domain admin account so I doubt it's a permission error.

Thanks in advance!

Tom
Old 08-09-2006, 08:06 AM   #2
tom_ireland

After a little investigation, I've noticed that one of the commands when starting the MDS service points to a version of Java which is no longer installed on the server.

Can anyone advise me how to amend this to point to the new path?

thanks
Old 08-09-2006, 10:37 AM   #3
tom_ireland

No matter now, I've jiggered with the registry and changed the path and now it all works!

Thanks for your help anyway!
Old 08-22-2006, 03:07 AM   #4
tschwarz

Model: 7100T
Question

Hello,

i´m afraid, that i have the same problem with our blackberry server!

Can you tell me which registry key you´ve modified to get it working?

Thanks very much!

Thomas
Old 09-06-2006, 03:12 AM   #5
Zubair

Model: 8700

Morning,

I am having the same issue aswell after installing SP5a and all the hotfixes. I am running Java 1.4.2_11.

Where is the registry key located?
Old 09-06-2006, 03:18 AM   #6
Zubair

tschwarz:

This may be of help to you.
vvv.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/8021/728075/728850/728216/Support_-_Error_203_The_system_could_not_find_the_environme nt_option_that_was_entered.html?nodeid=1067814&ver num=0
I am currently following the instructions listed. will keep you updated as to how it goes.

Z

Last edited by Zubair; 09-06-2006 at 08:29 AM..
Old 09-06-2006, 06:11 AM   #7
Zubair

Default hellpppppp!

I have tried the 3 steps from the blackberry knowledge base but still have had no luck. Rebooted server aswell. I've even changed the registry key to refer back to the old version of Java and test. still not working

Helllllp!
Old 04-27-2007, 04:51 AM   #8
FireFly666

Model: 7100
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubair View Post
I have tried the 3 steps from the blackberry knowledge base but still have had no luck. Rebooted server aswell. I've even changed the registry key to refer back to the old version of Java and test. still not working

Helllllp!

1 what BES r u using?

2 what JRE r u using?

3 what O/S r u using?
Old 08-06-2007, 08:41 PM   #9
Mark Dutton

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone

Guys can you please let us in on the secret? Tom, you found the path to the Java VM in the registry. Where? I removed all my old Java versions and rationalised them, now my MDS connector has the error 203. If we know where the path is set in registry, we can fix this. Please advise.

Regards

mark dutton
Old 08-28-2007, 03:37 PM   #10
DarkGemini

Model: 8700g
Carrier: TMO

Resolution 3 is what worked for me, but this is a pretty comprehensive solution set for Error 203. Hope this helps everyone with this issue.

Quote:
Cause
The issue is caused by one of the following:

1. The Java® Runtime Environment (JRE) is not installed.
2. An incorrect version of the JRE is installed, or the JRE has been recently updated.
3. The BlackBerry Enterprise Server is not pointing to the jvm.dll file.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resolution
Complete the appropriate resolution for the cause. If the error still occurs after completing the resolutions below, follow the instructions in the additional information section.

Cause 1

The JRE is not installed on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server.

Resolution

To check if JRE is installed on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server, look for Java Runtime Environment in the list of currently installed programs in Add/Remove Programs.

If JRE is not installed, go to the Sun® Developer Network web site to download and install the correct version of JRE (J2RE 1.4.2_03).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cause 2

An incorrect version of the JRE is installed, or the JRE version was recently updated on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server.

Resolution

Complete the following steps:

In Microsoft Windows Explorer, go to C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03.
If J2RE 1.4.2_03 is not installed, go to the Sun Developer Network web site to download and install the correct JRE version.
Note: Uninstall any existing version of the JRE prior to installing this version.

Cause 3

The BlackBerry Enterprise Server is not pointing to the jvm.dll file. Check for the ImagePath String Value in the following registry key:

For BlackBerry Enterprise Server software version 4.1
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\BlackBerry MDS Connection Service

For BlackBerry Enterprise Server software version 4.0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\BlackBerry Mobile Data Service

If the ImagePath String Value exists, the Value data field is blank or is pointing to the JRE folder from a previous version of the JRE.

Resolution

Complete the following steps:

Open the Registry Editor.
Go to registry key you used to check for the ImagePath String Value.
If the ImagePath String Value does not exist, repair the BlackBerry Enterprise Server through Add/Remove Programs. This updates the BlackBerry Mobile Data Service registry keys. For more information, see the BlackBerry Enterprise Server Installation Guide.
Note: For BlackBerry Enterprise Server software version 4.1.3 or later, the option to repair is not available. Re-apply the service pack to replace the registry key.

If the ImagePath String Value exists, double-click it and type the correct path to the jvm.dll in the Value data field, as in the following example for BlackBerry Enterprise Server software version 4.1:

"C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\MDS\bin\bmds.exe" -s jvmpath="C:\Program Files\Java\<JRE folder>\bin\client\jvm.dll" -XX:+DisableExplicitGC-Xss64K -Xmx256M -Xms96M -XX:NewSize=32M -XX:MaxNewSize=96M-XX:NewRatio=2 classpathdir="C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\MDS\classpath\\" wrkdir="C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\MDS\Servers\<server_name>\\" webserverdir="C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\MDS\webserver\\" -log.console -rbes "<server_name>"

where <server_name> is the name of the BlackBerry Enterprise Server MDS Connection Service and <JRE folder> is the name of the Java Runtime Environment folder located in C:\Program Files\Java\.

Press ENTER and close the Registry Editor.
Restart the BlackBerry Mobile Data Service in the Windows administrative tools.

Additional Information
If the error still appears after you complete the troubleshooting steps in the Resolution section, complete the steps listed below.

Go to <drive>:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\MDS\classpath.
Check for missing files in this directory. Reference an existing BlackBerry Enterprise Server. Some files that may be missing are as follows:
bmds.jar
clibwrapper_jiio.jar
commons-fileupload-1.0.jar
dom.jar
ecma.jar
jai_codec.jar
If the files are missing, repair the BlackBerry Enterprise Server installation by going to Add\Remove Programs in the Control Panel, and then selecting BlackBerry Server.
Click Support Information and select Repair.
Verify that the missing files are now installed on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server, and then restart the BlackBerry Mobile Data Service.
Closed Thread