Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 06:32 PM   #1
asasyn
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Curve
Carrier: Rogers
Default GPS Question?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi there i had some questions regarding the GPS. i read a few threads but could not get a real clear answer.

1) Do you have to pair your BB pearl to a GPS device? or can you just download the software and your good to go.
2) Can you use the blackberry map gps software, or google maps, or any other software?

alot of people stated you need a gps pairing device to get it working and others said no? just wondering becuz today i drove down to buffalo and my gf sed her pink razor with gps software to get to our destination.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:41 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Yes, you need a GPS device to get GPS on the Pearl. You can use BBMaps with GPS or without. Google maps works good but doesn't work with GPS. See the links below for more info:

GPS faq's

Stinsonddog's BB Tips
Old 02-19-2007, 06:55 PM   #3
asasyn

Thanks for the links, really helpful.

Just to make it clear John, i dont need a GPS device if i am using BBmaps? I can simply just enter the destination in and i am good to go, ones i have a data plan?

Last edited by asasyn; 02-19-2007 at 06:58 PM..
Old 02-19-2007, 07:52 PM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

That's correct. BBMaps, and Google Maps will work without GPS. You just type in a start address and an end address. However, if you don't have a GPS puck I prefer Google Maps and it's searching abilities. With GPS, obviously, BBMaps is better since it works with the GPS signal to mark your location and continuously updates it.

Stinsonddog's GPS tips/faqs can answer more. Look for the sticky's in the GPS forum. He has lots of very detailed information there.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:06 PM   #5
asasyn

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark
That's correct. BBMaps, and Google Maps will work without GPS. You just type in a start address and an end address. However, if you don't have a GPS puck I prefer Google Maps and it's searching abilities. With GPS, obviously, BBMaps is better since it works with the GPS signal to mark your location and continuously updates it.

Stinsonddog's GPS tips/faqs can answer more. Look for the sticky's in the GPS forum. He has lots of very detailed information there.

thanks John, i guess you can close the thread now. lol
Old 02-19-2007, 09:01 PM   #6
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by asasyn
thanks John, i guess you can close the thread now. lol
Read my page very closely. It is very detailed and you can miss alot. In fact read it a second time to pick up some nuances. If something isn't clear, let me know and I will update it.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:11 PM   #7
asasyn

any idea on how much data you use while using BB maps?
Closed Thread