Old 02-04-2007, 04:01 PM   #1
BEVINCO - BC Interior
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9800
Carrier: Rogers
Default Theme Install - Stumped

Please Login to Remove!

I successfully installed a new o/s.
I have a new blackberry.alx file for the o/s and device model (but see below)
jibi's installation path is:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\

Do I extract the .alx file to that path? I have tried that and when I open the Application Loader nothing new is recognized, When I use the "Add" button and point to the .alx file I get the same message.

My device has Dimension Icon, Today Plus, Today, and Zen themes.
I am assuming that there should be more themes in the blackberry.alx file than these 4.

I am a Rogers user (vendor 107) and the alx file I d/l was from Cingular since that was the latest o/s version. Is this the source of my problem?

I will appreciate some guidance.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:28 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

You need to use the blackberry.alx file that matches whatever OS you have installed. Pay no attention to the carrier name. Just match the OS version number. If you have a Rogers BB with Cingular OS version .71 use the .71 .alx file. Just replace your old one with the new one and then run Application Loader in the Desktop Manager.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:29 AM   #3
BEVINCO - BC Interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark
You need to use the blackberry.alx file that matches whatever OS you have installed. Pay no attention to the carrier name. Just match the OS version number. If you have a Rogers BB with Cingular OS version .71 use the .71 .alx file. Just replace your old one with the new one and then run Application Loader in the Desktop Manager.
Well, to be sure I downloaded the .71 version of the alx file again and extracted it. No matter where I put it, using "Add" I get the error message "No additional applications designed for your device were found".

I am assuming that jibi's .alx files do not need to be edited to modify the vendor code.

Still Stumped.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:38 AM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

You don't use the "add" feature in Application Loader. You simply replace your .alx with the new one and then Application Loader should automatically see a change and want to "update" core applications. Make sure the vendor.xml has been deleted. If you reinstalled the .71 OS package again for any reason you'll have to delete the vendor.xml again.

So, when you open Desktop Manager and Application Loader you should get the long list of applications that are installed on your BB. Near the top, the first or second item should be "core" applications. It should say "update" next to "core applications. Just continue on through and let it update. Again, don't use the "add" button for the blackberry.alx.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:28 AM   #5
BEVINCO - BC Interior

Here is a learning point.

My new .alx file was not being recognized because I re-named the original file from blackberry.alx to blackberry old.alx (with a space). When I changed that to oldblackberry.alx the app loader did what was expected.

Consider asking jibi to clarify the instruction as to the correct syntax for the re-name.

Thanks for your help. An excellent resource.
Closed Thread