BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 07:34 AM   #1
aaandre

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default How do I really Exit an app? (VZ Navigator and Google maps conflict!)

Please Login to Remove!

I have a verizon 8830 with crippled GPS and got the $10/month VZ Navigator on it. The problem is, the VZ Nav can not obtain gps info if I have Google Maps running in the background. And if you have this same problem let me tell you, the verizon tech's response was that they have to open a ticket and have a technician repair my blackberry remotely within a week (a week after my roadtrip, thank you, veri$on!)

Simple,you'd say, just close Google Maps! Well, I tried and I tried! Exit from the menu seems to close the app, but VZ Nav still can't get to the GPS. A quick check in Options > Advanced Options > Applications shows both Google Maps and VZ Nav in bold (running).

So, my question is, how do I *really* close the instance of google maps which continues running after I "exit" from its menu?

I tried reset, incl. removing the battery. Still running. Only when I uninstalled google maps and rebooted the phone could VZNav obtain the gps signal.

I want GMaps for their listings and convenience. The gps on the phone is crippled to only work with verizon's crapware so I have to cash our the $10/m and use VZ Nav. Which doesn't work if I have google maps.

Any clues?

Thank you!

Oh, and feel free to call me stupid -- I am a Verizon customer.

Last edited by aaandre; 02-18-2008 at 07:39 AM..
Old 02-18-2008, 11:37 AM   #2
jltx114
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaandre View Post
I have a verizon 8830 with crippled GPS and got the $10/month VZ Navigator on it. The problem is, the VZ Nav can not obtain gps info if I have Google Maps running in the background. And if you have this same problem let me tell you, the verizon tech's response was that they have to open a ticket and have a technician repair my blackberry remotely within a week (a week after my roadtrip, thank you, veri$on!)

Simple,you'd say, just close Google Maps! Well, I tried and I tried! Exit from the menu seems to close the app, but VZ Nav still can't get to the GPS. A quick check in Options > Advanced Options > Applications shows both Google Maps and VZ Nav in bold (running).

So, my question is, how do I *really* close the instance of google maps which continues running after I "exit" from its menu?

I tried reset, incl. removing the battery. Still running. Only when I uninstalled google maps and rebooted the phone could VZNav obtain the gps signal.

I want GMaps for their listings and convenience. The gps on the phone is crippled to only work with verizon's crapware so I have to cash our the $10/m and use VZ Nav. Which doesn't work if I have google maps.

Any clues?

Thank you!

Oh, and feel free to call me stupid -- I am a Verizon customer.
simple fix -- go into google map permissions and deny GPS access.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:56 PM   #3
sloopercat
Thumbs Must Hurt

You may want to try reinstalling the VZnavigator program via your Blackberry. Had similar issues, now they all get along. Version 2.9.9 build40 is the latest, at least as of Friday.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:52 PM   #4
aaandre

jltx, thank you, this fixed the issue!
sloopercat, thank you for the response, turns out I have the latest version -- installed it this friday for my trip.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:58 PM   #5
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

To close Google Maps, just use >menu key >Exit. If you use the escape key it stays running.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:56 PM   #6
aaandre

Thanks fotr the reply, John. Problem is, it stays active even after Exit-ing properly. Or at least the part that wouldn't release the GPS as a resource. Doesn't appear in the Alt-esc app list, but is bolded in the app list as mentioned above.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:11 PM   #7
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

never had this problem only time vz nav didnt get gps if both ran, exiting one, allowed the other to run.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:30 AM   #8
jltx114
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaandre View Post
jltx, thank you, this fixed the issue!
sloopercat, thank you for the response, turns out I have the latest version -- installed it this friday for my trip.
you're welcome
Closed Thread