Old 12-08-2005, 09:09 PM   #1
billpoly
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: none
Carrier: none
Default Complete mail sync - Exchange to BB

Please Login to Remove!

Hello All,

I have several BlackBerry users (Nextel BB 7520 or 7100i) and a few Treo 650 users (myself included). I have Exchange 2003 SP1 as my e-mail system, and GoodLink for push e-mail to the Treos, BES 4 for push e-mail to the BlackBerry.

My Treo users have been thrilled with the GoodLink e-mail synch performance. Specifically, GoodLink is a completely mirrored copy of your Exchange Inbox in your hand. For example, I have a lot of rules in Outlook to file away messages that don't need my immediate attention. When the rule removes them from my Exchange Inbox, GoodLink removes them from my Treo Inbox. Simple as that! If I delete a message on my Treo, it is deleted from my Exchange Inbox. Again – simple!

I've started rolling out more BlackBerry handhelds because they're not as expensive or delicate as the Treo 650 (we're a construction company - enough said!). Some of the new BlackBerry users were expecting a similar experience as they had heard about from the GoodLink Treo users. I started using a BlackBerry 7520 and 7100i alternately to test, and found that the BlackBerry Inbox is not a "mirror image" of the Exchange Inbox, as with GoodLink.

I did find the setting on the handheld that deletes a message from both the handheld and mailbox when it is deleted on the handheld, so that is set. However, making messages disappear in the other direction is a problem...

1. When I delete a message in my Exchange Inbox, it still appears in the BlackBerry handheld Inbox.
2. When a rule files a message away (out of my Exchange Inbox) it still appears in the BlackBerry handheld Inbox.

Personally, I receive several hundred messages per day that I file using rules. With GoodLink, my handheld only contains those message that I don't file (i.e. those that need my personal attention), making it much more useful. With the BlackBerry handhelds that I have been testing, ALL of the messages I receive are on the handheld even when a rule moves or deletes them.

Can anyone give me some pointers on how to set a BlackBerry handheld Inbox to be a complete "mirror image" of an Exchange Server Inbox? I'm OK with having users make settings changes on the handheld, but a policy setting on the BES would be even better.

Thanks much...

Bill
Old 12-09-2005, 08:14 AM   #2
BBTechGuy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100
Carrier: T-Mobile

When the messages are Deleted are they Permanently Deleted? This means that you use Shift-Delete or Empty the Deleted Items.

If so then this functionality will not exist until BES 4.1.

Where are you filing the messages to? For example, a sub-folder of the Inbox or to a .pst.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:13 AM   #3
billpoly
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: none
Carrier: none

No - when messages are deleted they go to Deleted Items. I prefer that (especially for my users) in case a mistake is made on the handheld. They can easily recover a message when they get back to their desk.

As for the filing, I am filing messages to a .pst file. In any case, they are removed from the Inbox folder on my Exchange mailbox.

Thanks
Old 12-09-2005, 04:54 PM   #4
BBTechGuy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100
Carrier: T-Mobile

If you Delete the message from Outlook it should definitely Delete from the BlackBerry after 15 or 20 minutes. Sounds like the Deleted Items Rescan is not picking up those messages for some reason.

Moving to a .pst should also be supported in 4.1.
Closed Thread