Old 05-27-2010, 08:25 AM   #1
blastarama

Model: 9500
PIN: N/A
Carrier: 3
Default Blackberry 9500 unlocked wont make calls

Please Login to Remove!

Hi

New here so apologies for the probably silly question. Just got a 9500 Storm from an airport lost property auction. Phone is unlocked or at least I am 98% sure it is as this is a standard procedure the auctioneers carry out when they erase the phones to protect previous owners personal data.

As the title says phone wont make calls. We have 3 and Virgin sim cards. Both show up the 3 and T mobile networks (For virgin) when inserted into the phone. However when we try to make a call they are instantly disconnected or dont dial at all. Wont send SMS messages either.

Any ideas

Many thanks
Old 05-27-2010, 08:35 AM   #2
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

Wirelessly posted (White and Nerdy)

Unlocking the phone and erasing data are two different things.... The phone is likely locked
Old 05-27-2010, 08:38 AM   #3
blastarama

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankarlinski View Post
Wirelessly posted (White and Nerdy)

Unlocking the phone and erasing data are two different things.... The phone is likely locked
Ive had lots of phones from there before, all are unlocked. I have another 9500 that comes up with invalid sim, the one I am asking about now does not. It accepts 3 and Virgin but wont make calls as mentioned above.

Cheers
Old 05-28-2010, 09:09 AM   #4
blastarama

Just to confirm this is not a phone being locked to a network problem. I have now tried the phone on vodaphone with a valid sim which is the network the phone is branded for and it still wont make or receive calls.

This must be a settings issue that we just cant figure out I guess.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:21 AM   #5
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Or you have gotten ahold of a broken phone.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:31 AM   #6
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Or it has been blacklisted by a carrier as a lost/stolen device, in which case, you now have a nice paperweight. Not call carriers black list lost/stolen devices, but those that do shut them off to stay.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 05-28-2010, 11:28 AM   #7
blastarama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
Or it has been blacklisted by a carrier as a lost/stolen device, in which case, you now have a nice paperweight. Not call carriers black list lost/stolen devices, but those that do shut them off to stay.

Well maybe but in my long experience nothing is irreversible and if it is I can normally palm the stuff off at the price I paid for it anyway
Old 05-28-2010, 11:33 AM   #8
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Wow.
Of course you will disclose to the buyer that the phones DON'T WORK, right?
To do otherwise would be unethical.
Right?
Old 05-28-2010, 12:16 PM   #9
blastarama

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Wow.
Of course you will disclose to the buyer that the phones DON'T WORK, right?
To do otherwise would be unethical.
Right?
I wouldent need too. I could just resubmit them for auction. The sale is then between the auction room and buyer. Anyone who buys at auction knows its buyer beware there is no come back on the auctioneers. ITs up to the buyer to asses the items and bid. In fact if I put battery's in these and two chargers I may even make a profit on them. They didnt work when I bought them due to duff battery's so if I resubmit them and they can be seen working with no sims they will probably make more. Plus I am not VAT registered so the buyer wont have to pay VAT so will attract more buyers.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:23 PM   #10
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

This is why no one should ever buy any electronics on eBay or other online auction house.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:38 PM   #11
blastarama

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
This is why no one should ever buy any electronics on eBay or other online auction house.

Totally incorrect mate! Ebay is ramped up to the back teeth with buyer protection. Buyer says item not as described Ebay always agree and you have to refund them.

The auctions I talk of are actual attend in person auctions. Link below is the auction where the phones came from. Copy and paste into address bar, as my post count is not 10

dnfa.com/bcva/auctions.asp?view=saledetails&aucno=24840&avail=1

commercial auction section.

Ohh and in 2nd edit, just spoke to Vodaphone who said if this phone is getting 3g signal etc which it is then its not blacklisted.

Last edited by blastarama; 05-28-2010 at 12:41 PM..
Old 05-28-2010, 12:39 PM   #12
devnull
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: I747
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastarama View Post
I wouldent need too. I could just resubmit them for auction. The sale is then between the auction room and buyer. Anyone who buys at auction knows its buyer beware there is no come back on the auctioneers. ITs up to the buyer to asses the items and bid.
I'm not an ebayer, so help me understand. How does a buyer "asses" an item for which they cannot test?

Quote:
In fact if I put battery's in these and two chargers I may even make a profit on them. They didnt work when I bought them due to duff battery's so if I resubmit them and they can be seen working with no sims they will probably make more.
So, you would "resubmit" a known nonfunctional device under the false premiss that it is working? I guess I just don't understand ebay.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:55 PM   #13
blastarama

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
I'm not an ebayer, so help me understand. How does a buyer "asses" an item for which they cannot test?

So, you would "resubmit" a known nonfunctional device under the false premiss that it is working? I guess I just don't understand ebay.

Forget Ebay, not talking ebay as I said above. Ebay is ramped to the back teeth with buyer protection.

Like I said I am talking about attend in person auctions like the one linked above. Its always up to the buyer to view test and assess all items. This is why there is a day for viewing items. You can look at turn on test any item you like. However many buyer buy multiple items like £1000's worth and will just take a chance on items. I spent £400 at the last auction. I still expect to make that back even if I have to sell the Blackberrys as spares but the more logical thing for me to do is resubmit them for auction. Its the auction houses rules that everything is sold as seen. Buyers buy under that premise so they all know the deal and if they dont the auction house reminds them that its announced in all the paper work and when they register and before every sale
Old 05-31-2010, 03:58 PM   #14
ABA Trading LTD

Model: 9700
Carrier: TSTT

Quote:
I wouldent need too. I could just resubmit them for auction. The sale is then between the auction room and buyer. Anyone who buys at auction knows its buyer beware there is no come back on the auctioneers. ITs up to the buyer to asses the items and bid. In fact if I put battery's in these and two chargers I may even make a profit on them. They didnt work when I bought them due to duff battery's so if I resubmit them and they can be seen working with no sims they will probably make more. Plus I am not VAT registered so the buyer wont have to pay VAT so will attract more buyers.
I hate people like you.

I got screwed on several phones where sellers advertised "brand new but locked"

Then on receiving them, all the MEP tries were used and they are completely locked to the carrier. That doesnt qualify as brand new, but it fits in with the sellers description (locked to AT&T)

Ebay decided against me in that instance (refused to refund me)

and as my country does not have at&t, i have a useless bold 9700.

Can these phones be unlocked anyway besides MEP method?
Closed Thread