BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 05:09 PM   #1
anyname

Model: 8100
Default blackberry plans

Please Login to Remove!

Can anyone give me an idea which plan I should start with? I will be ordering a Blackberry Pearl. I will be with Rogers in Canada at shoprogers.com.
I've had lots of cell phones, but I'm not sure about how many MB I would actually require, or what plan would best suit my husband and I. We want it for only personal use, to be able to take pictures, talk, text message, email, play songs. Basically everything, but I don't know what the right plan is, and more importantly how can I predict how many MB I'll use?

Can someone take a look at these plans, and give me an idea of the best place to start?

Also, we talk a lot of long distance.
Thanks!
Old 11-16-2006, 06:20 PM   #2
Mandizzle
BlackBerryFAQ.com Moderator

Model: 9800
PIN: 2322E11D
Carrier: Rogers

I'm on Rogers using the $65 Blackberry plan which allows for 50mb of data. In addition to this I of course have my voice plan as well.

This is where the BB data plans are..

Blackberry Data Plans

What plan you use is entirely dependant on how much email/net use you will need. If you're just a light user and will be picking up a few text only emails a day then the 1 + 1 mb plan is alright.

I think I came across a family data plan on Rogers as well. If i come across it again i'll post the links for you.

Keep in mind the estimates they have put up on their site for emails/day seem grossly exaggerated....

Good luck on finding the right plan!
Old 11-16-2006, 10:10 PM   #3
lonnielove
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: tmobile

Sorry To Say Mandizzle, But Rogers Is Rapeing Yall Data Users Tmob Allows Us To Use Unlimited Data For 14.99 A Month. What Is Special About Rogers.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:32 PM   #4
painpour
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
PIN: 321859CA
Carrier: SPRINT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnielove
Sorry To Say Mandizzle, But Rogers Is Rapeing Yall Data Users Tmob Allows Us To Use Unlimited Data For 14.99 A Month. What Is Special About Rogers.
Tmo's BB add on plan is $19.99. How did you get it for $14.99?
Old 11-16-2006, 10:44 PM   #5
lonnielove
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by painpour
Tmo's BB add on plan is $19.99. How did you get it for $14.99?
WELL BEFORE IT WENT TO 19.99 I HAD BEEN PAYING FOR DATA PLAN ON MY BILL FOR 2 YEARS NOW AND DIDNT KNOW IT YET SO WHEN I TOLD THEM TO SIGN ME UP THEY TOLD ME I ALREADY HAD IT. I ALWAYS USED T-ZONES THEY TOLD ME THAT WAS ONLY 5.99 SO I WAS LUCKY.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:19 PM   #6
Mandizzle

You guys in US have it made in the shade.

Rogers rapes me on data charges but it's my only option so not much i can do about it...
Old 11-16-2006, 11:24 PM   #7
lonnielove
Thumbs Must Hurt

Where Do You Live In Canada Because I Thinking That You Can Roam Off Of Tmobile Or Cingular I Know That One Of Them Lets You Roam On Other Networks For Like 5 Extra Dollars. I Get Back To You On This One
Old 11-16-2006, 11:46 PM   #8
shuffle
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Nothing is "special" about Rogers except for the fact that they are the only national GSM carrier with blackberry data plans...needless to say, they can and do pretty much charge whatever they want.

It will come back and bite them in the ass one day, though.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:47 AM   #9
lonnielove
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuffle
Nothing is "special" about Rogers except for the fact that they are the only national GSM carrier with blackberry data plans...needless to say, they can and do pretty much charge whatever they want.

It will come back and bite them in the ass one day, though.
STOP BUYING THERE STUFF LIKE CABLE AND HOME PHONE SERVICE.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:43 AM   #10
weegee
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
STOP BUYING THERE STUFF LIKE CABLE AND HOME PHONE SERVICE.
stop writing in caps

anyway, I just looked at my bill and I used 61MB from 10.15-11.15 mind you I'm a heavy user of the browser, Ramble, and Google Talk with an MSN transport. I also sometimes use it as a bluetooth modem on my Macbook Pro. I think if you're just going to be using it for email and casual browsing I think you'll need a bit more than just 1MB, but you definetly won't need more than 25MB. I'm just glad I'm here in the states T-Mobile definetly has the best data plan.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:19 AM   #11
Mandizzle

Quote:
Where Do You Live In Canada Because I Thinking That You Can Roam Off Of Tmobile Or Cingular I Know That One Of Them Lets You Roam On Other Networks For Like 5 Extra Dollars. I Get Back To You On This One
I live in Toronto and i've heard of other people doing this. They get the TMO unlimited data plan + roaming and use it fulltime here.

With that method it still comes to a lot cheaper than i would be paying for just 50mb/month. The problem I think with that is that I use my BB for a lot of voice calls as well and the tradeoff to pay for roaming on the voice from TMO or even getting a second handset just for voice isn't worth it to me..
Old 11-17-2006, 10:47 AM   #12
Dark Knight
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyname
Can anyone give me an idea which plan I should start with? I will be ordering a Blackberry Pearl. I will be with Rogers in Canada at shoprogers.com.
I've had lots of cell phones, but I'm not sure about how many MB I would actually require, or what plan would best suit my husband and I. We want it for only personal use, to be able to take pictures, talk, text message, email, play songs. Basically everything, but I don't know what the right plan is, and more importantly how can I predict how many MB I'll use?

Can someone take a look at these plans, and give me an idea of the best place to start?

Also, we talk a lot of long distance.
Thanks!
For a Blackberry data plan on Rogers network I recommend the $65.00 (50 MB) data with $7.00/MB for overage and USA roaming rate at $0.01/KB which currently is cheaper than Telus and Bell. Current promotion is 3 months unlimited email and browsing on a 3 yr activation or 3 yr renewal of term and must be at least a $60.00 Blackberry data plan or higher. A Blackberry data plan on Rogers Network approximately 1 MB equals 500 to 1,000 e-mails per month.

As for a recommendation on a shared plan that includes long distance and offers flexible options I suggest you take a look at the Small Business plans. On a 3 yr new activation or 3 yr renewal of term (renews on your next billing cycle date) you get 3 months Chat & Send (unlimited local calling, unlimited National sms messaging, unlimited pic/vid messaging). While you have a 3 yr term with Rogers to reduce the cost on what you pay for the hardware you can still change your plan anytime. So if you notice the pooled plan isn't working for you then you can still switch to individual plans.

If you have any questions regarding roaming while outside of Rogers network see www.rogers.com/roaming but remember on any Blackberry data plan your roaming rate drops from $0.05/KB to $0.01/KB while roaming in the USA.

Last edited by Dark Knight; 11-17-2006 at 01:35 PM..
Old 11-17-2006, 11:23 AM   #13
Mandizzle

I dont think you can use the navigate plans on a Blackberry.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:44 AM   #14
Dark Knight
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
For one T-Mobile is not in Canada where Rogers Wireless is. The USA after all has far more smaller carriers but due to this more competition which can lower cost the consumer pays. Second I noticed on T-Mobile's website that the current lowest Blackberry data plan is $29.99 USD/month which works out to $34.35 CDN/month. This doesn't offer Enterprise access as their lowest plan for Blackberry is $39.98 USD or $45.80 CDN. Then if you plan on roaming with T-Mobile a suggestion is to add their "BlackBerry Unlimited International E-mail" which is an optional add on for $19.99 USD/month or $22.90 CDN/month. So now the total is $49.98 USD or $57.25 CDN for the basic and for Enterprise users $59.97 USD or $68.70 CDN. Note Rogers doesn't charge extra to add the Enterprise Blackberry Mail Server service.

Anyway, since my brother is living in the USA do you or anyone else here that is a T-Mobile customer know if T-Mobile has a cap on their use of the term "unlimited" in regards to browsing and email or is it really unlimited?

Last edited by Dark Knight; 11-17-2006 at 11:55 AM..
Old 11-17-2006, 12:03 PM   #15
GMK
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight
For one T-Mobile is not in Canada where Rogers Wireless is. The USA after all has far more smaller carriers but due to this more competition which can lower cost the consumer pays. Second I noticed on T-Mobile's website that the current lowest Blackberry data plan is $29.99 USD/month which works out to $34.35 CDN/month. This doesn't offer Enterprise access as their lowest plan for Blackberry is $39.98 USD or $45.80 CDN. Then if you plan on roaming with T-Mobile a suggestion is to add their "BlackBerry Unlimited International E-mail" which is an optional add on for $19.99 USD/month or $22.90 CDN/month. So now the total is $49.98 USD or $57.25 CDN for the basic and for Enterprise users $59.97 USD or $68.70 CDN. Note Rogers doesn't charge extra to add the Enterprise Blackberry Mail Server service.

Anyway, since my brother is living in the USA do you or anyone else here that is a T-Mobile customer know if T-Mobile has a cap on their use of the term "unlimited" in regards to browsing and email or is it really unlimited?
I just re-checked the TMO website and the unlimited BB add-on that includes "unlimited" data plus push email is $19.99/mo assuming you have a phone plan also.

There has been a lot of discussion about the word "unlimited". Some have quoted the fine print to make a point that "unlimited" might not be. I'm always on the web, I don't know how much data goes back and forth but its a good amount. Never been charged more than the $19.99/mo. From my perspective I get along fine using the word unlimited.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:45 PM   #16
Dark Knight
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandizzle
I dont think you can use the navigate plans on a Blackberry.
Correct. I just contacted Rogers Data Support and was notified that the navigate discount packages such as the $20.00 Communicate Value Pack are not eligible for RIM (Blackberry) devices but are eligible for the Nokia E62, Palm Treo 650 and HP iPAQ smartphones.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:11 PM   #17
lonnielove
Thumbs Must Hurt

Dark,

Hey Dude I Never Said They Were In Canada,and Second We Have Copetition Because We Speak Out Out This Issue,thirdly I Looked At My Bill And They Acually Did Change My Plan To Th Blackberry Bis,and Its 19.99 Usd, No Caps Here. I Use It Right Now On My Home Laptop And Never Really Had Any Problems With T-mobile. Talk To Your Law Makers In Canada And Find Out Why Rogers Is The Only One There,in This Day And Age With The Technolgy That Is Here There Really Should Be More Small Carriers.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:22 PM   #18
bb-mike
Thumbs Must Hurt

You think Rogers rapes on data - you should see what they charge for roaming + LD in the US. Most times is costs me close to $2 per minute to make a long distance call while in the US.

It's funny - they bought Fido - where I used to spend about 0.65 cents per minute for roaming + LD. Magically, none of those carrier agreements ever seemed to come over to Rogers customers.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:25 PM   #19
shuffle
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
Dark,

Hey Dude I Never Said They Were In Canada,and Second We Have Copetition Because We Speak Out Out This Issue,thirdly I Looked At My Bill And They Acually Did Change My Plan To Th Blackberry Bis,and Its 19.99 Usd, No Caps Here. I Use It Right Now On My Home Laptop And Never Really Had Any Problems With T-mobile. Talk To Your Law Makers In Canada And Find Out Why Rogers Is The Only One There,in This Day And Age With The Technolgy That Is Here There Really Should Be More Small Carriers.
First - get off your high horse - the image that all Canadians are quiet meek people who just accept whatever they get is getting tired.

Canada has a larger land mass than the US with 10% of the population. Do you know what that means? It means that any company looking to set up national network coverage is going to have to wait a long time to see returns and is going to need very deep pockets. When a company does start up, one of the big boys buys them up. Thats how things work. It won't be this way forever, but this is the reality of the situation. Any company that gets complacent with their market hold will be burned in the end - it's just a matter of "how long".
Old 11-17-2006, 07:25 PM   #20
lonnielove
Thumbs Must Hurt

No High Horse Here But Really Ask Your Self Why Theres Only Rogers In Canada, Hey Dude I Love Canada ,my Cousins Lives In Toronto, So I Feel For Rogers Because Like You Say There Will Be An End To There Monopoly