Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 12:30 PM   #1
eric0668
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8705g
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Very disappointed in the price of the BB plan

Please Login to Remove!

I did not think the curves plan for wifi would also be 29.99, the same as the dash. I still may get it tho.

Can you still get the 19.99 plan without wifi, in case I need to save some pennies some months

there is no workaround/hack like the dash's 5.99 one where you get everything except wifi?
Old 10-03-2007, 12:36 PM   #2
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20FA40E8
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric0668 View Post
I did not think the curves plan for wifi would also be 29.99, the same as the dash. I still may get it tho.

Can you still get the 19.99 plan without wifi, in case I need to save some pennies some months

there is no workaround/hack like the dash's 5.99 one where you get everything except wifi?
Where are you getting $5.99? That is the T-Mobile Web plan, which is not the full Internet. You get access to sites on the T-Mobile network only. $19.99 is the data plan (T-Mobile Internet) you would need to get full Internet access. That being said, you could use the $5.99 plan for the BlackBerry too, you just would not have access to PUSH email or complete Internet.

http://www.facebook.com/numetheus
Old 10-03-2007, 12:39 PM   #3
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:

I just looked. $29 is for the BlackBerry plan with Enterprise add-on (BES). You do not need this unless you want to connect to a BES server at your work. The BlackBerry Unlimited add-on (BIS) is $19, and is the one you want. OR, If you only need email, you can get their $9 email plan which gives you email only.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:48 PM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

$19.99 will get you unlimited data and wifi data. You can add H@H which will give you unlimited minutes over your wifi. Standard rate plans will deduct wifi minutes from your minute plan but wifi/UMA calls will still work just fine.

Last edited by John Clark; 10-03-2007 at 02:18 PM..
Old 10-03-2007, 01:25 PM   #5
eric0668
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
$19.99 will get you wifi. You can add H@H which will give you unlimited minutes over your wifi. Standard rate plans will deduct UMA minutes from your minute plan but wifi/UMA will still work just fine.
What is H&H and UMA, i.e you said it, but what does it stand for. Still a little disappointed. so 19.99 will deduct minutes from my 1100 ? And it is not unlimited like the Dash??
Old 10-03-2007, 01:29 PM   #6
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

H@H is for Hotspot at Home. I am not sure what UMA stands for. The $19.99 plan gives you unlimited data. The H@H plan will allow you use the WiFi on the 8320 to make unlimited calls as long as you are using WiFi with the H@H plan on your account.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:40 PM   #7
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
What is H&H and UMA, i.e you said it, but what does it stand for. Still a little disappointed. so 19.99 will deduct minutes from my 1100 ? And it is not unlimited like the Dash??
H&H & UMA allow for voice talking using your wifi connection. Basically, when you pay for the H&H service, you can talk voice through your home wireless network without using any of your voice plan minutes.

YOU want an UNLIMITED data plan. You do not need H&H or UMA. For INTERNET, the price is $19.99 for unlimited data. This will give you unlimited Internet plus push email provided by BIS. The data plan for the Dash, and the data plan for BlackBerries are EXACTLY the same price. Both are $19.99 a month. You quoted $5.99 in your initial post. This is not a full data plan. That just gives you access to the T-Mobile web, which is restricted. You CAN get that for your BlackBerry as well, but I would not recommend it.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:43 PM   #8
eric0668
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyckitching View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

H@H is for Hotspot at Home. I am not sure what UMA stands for. The $19.99 plan gives you unlimited data. The H@H plan will allow you use the WiFi on the 8320 to make unlimited calls as long as you are using WiFi with the H@H plan on your account.
Now I am totally confused.

1. So what I used to be able to do for free, add a wireless router and go onto wifi for the Dash now they not only charge me for the router, which they give a rebate for, but then you get it and there is what you are referring to as a H@H "plan" where I pay for it, so it really is not free wifi at home.

2. And this H@H apparently, from what I read above, if I am using wifi, do u mean if it is turned on, all my calls will not be deducted from my bucket? whoa

I think I have something wrong, or someone does, or Tmo is really socking it to us in the first part, then giving us something in the second part. More than likely, me and Tmo

Thanks for your help If anyone can still help it would be appreciated. And I used to work for Tmo..scary...where u had hotspots, 29.99 ...
Old 10-03-2007, 01:43 PM   #9
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
$19.99 will get you wifi. You can add H@H which will give you unlimited minutes over your wifi. Standard rate plans will deduct UMA minutes from your minute plan but wifi/UMA will still work just fine.
He probably is not talking about H&H. He most likely used to have a Dash, or knows someone with a Dash (I used to have a Tmo dash for 2 months) and is used to the price being $19.95 for full Internet. He most likely saw the $29 BES price and got confused thinking unlimited Internet for the BlackBerry was more expensive.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:46 PM   #10
eric0668
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by numetheus View Post
He probably is not talking about H&H. He most likely used to have a Dash, or knows someone with a Dash (I used to have a Tmo dash for 2 months) and is used to the price being $19.95 for full Internet. He most likely saw the $29 BES price and got confused thinking unlimited Internet for the BlackBerry was more expensive.
I asked the guy yesterday in the tmo store in Towson, MD and they said 29.99. They prolly thought I would be using corporate email??
Old 10-03-2007, 01:47 PM   #11
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Now I am totally confused.

1. So what I used to be able to do for free, add a wireless router and go onto wifi for the Dash now they not only charge me for the router, which they give a rebate for, but then you get it and there is what you are referring to as a H@H "plan" where I pay for it, so it really is not free wifi at home.

2. And this H@H apparently, from what I read above, if I am using wifi, do u mean if it is turned on, all my calls will not be deducted from my bucket? whoa

I think I have something wrong, or someone does, or Tmo is really socking it to us in the first part, then giving us something in the second part. More than likely, me and Tmo

Thanks for your help If anyone can still help it would be appreciated. And I used to work for Tmo..scary...where u had hotspots, 29.99 ...
For some reason, the others here think you want H&H which allows you to use your wifi to talk VOICE without using your plan minutes. YOU are just concerned with DATA INTERNET, allowing you to browse web pages and check email right?

Old 10-03-2007, 01:48 PM   #12
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
I asked the guy yesterday in the tmo store in Towson, MD and they said 29.99. They prolly thought I would be using corporate email??
Yes. $29 is their price for BES (corporate email), and $19 is for their unlimited BlackBerry Internet.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:51 PM   #13
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Eric,
Just get the $19.99 personal BIS Blackberry data plan. Everything will work for you. You can even likely use the same router you already have (unless you have the Airport Extreme router.)

You will get everything you need with that plan. You'll be able to use wifi, you'll get push email, etc. You'll even be able to make calls over wifi that will be deducted from whatever minute rate plan you are signed up for.

You don't need the Hotspot@Home plan unless you want unlimited calls over wifi.

Does that clarify?
Old 10-03-2007, 01:53 PM   #14
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Eric,
Just get the $19.99 personal BIS Blackberry data plan. Everything will work for you. You can even likely use the same router you already have (unless you have the Airport Extreme router.)

You will get everything you need with that plan. You'll be able to use wifi, you'll get push email, etc. You'll even be able to make calls over wifi that will be deducted from whatever minute rate plan you are signed up for.

You don't need the Hotspot@Home plan unless you want unlimited calls over wifi.

Does that clarify?
Thats what I was saying I dont even know why people even threw H&H in the mix to confuse the poor guy! LOL I said a few messages up that he needs the $19 a month Internet plan.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:00 PM   #15
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Thats what I was saying I dont even know why people even threw H&H in the mix to confuse the poor guy! LOL I said a few messages up that he needs the $19 a month Internet plan.
Because many people are wanting unlimited minutes over wifi, thus the Hotspot @ Home subscriptions. He'll figure it out. He got confused because of inept in-store reps.

Hotspot at home would be great if you were ditching the landline for cell phones. What a great deal that would be. I'm not quite ready for that myself yet, but what a deal!
Old 10-03-2007, 02:08 PM   #16
eric0668
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Because many people are wanting unlimited minutes over wifi, thus the Hotspot @ Home subscriptions. He'll figure it out. He got confused because of inept in-store reps.

Hotspot at home would be great if you were ditching the landline for cell phones. What a great deal that would be. I'm not quite ready for that myself yet, but what a deal!
Well I got it. 19.99. The Tmo Rep was wrong. But still don't understand what u just wrote and what I commented on...somehow you can't just hook up a wireless router to your home comcast for free anymore unlimited use. Now they call iit H@H and charge for it. AND, with this HotSpots at home, even more confusing because of the name and u normally associate Hot spots with net, it somehow has to do with using your phone and phone minutes? whoa.

but as I initially said, my initial ? is answered. thanks.
if anyone cares to keep going on about what I wrote, I am game for getting myself more confused and then out of it, all for the sake of understanding it. LOL
Old 10-03-2007, 02:13 PM   #17
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

As long as you get answers to the questions you are asking, that is why forums like this exist. Confusion is a plus! lol

John Clark is a good one for information though. PM him all you want for any question relating to BlackBerries, dish washers, dog and cat grooming, childcare, stain removal, and anything automotive .... anytime, day or night!

Last edited by numetheus; 10-03-2007 at 02:16 PM..
Old 10-03-2007, 02:14 PM   #18
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Eric: You can use wifi for data all you want. Wifi will work fine for calls but your minutes will be deducted from your rate plan. The UMA feature is nice because it switches to EDGE automatically when you leave the wifi area without dropping the call.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:16 PM   #19
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
As long as you get answers to the questions you are asking, that is why forums like this exist. Confusion is a plus! lol

JSanders is a good one for information though. PM him all you want for any question relating to BlackBerries, dish washers, dog and cat grooming, childcare, stain removal, and anything automotive .... anytime, day or night!
Thanks for the vote of confidence, numetheus.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:17 PM   #20
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Thanks for the vote of confidence, numetheus.
WAIT! I meant to put John Clark ... honest! LOL Sorry .... John Clark and JSanders are just two of the usernames I seem to post in the same threads after. LOL You are all great.

Closed Thread