Old 05-10-2010, 05:43 PM   #1
digital_swissarmyknife
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Uncaught Exception 52 & 53

Please Login to Remove!

I have a Curve 8900. Upgraded the OS from 4.6.1.231 to 5.0.0.411 about a month ago and everything went well.

Last week, downloaded the latest version of BBM from AppWorld, and upon reboot got an error that said "uncaught exception, net_rim_bb_phone_app(52) is not responding; process terminated." Every time I do a battery pull or alt-shift-delete this error happens.

I deleted BBM (it was version .57) and rebooted; no error message.

Downloaded a beta BBM (.66) from BBTweeps.com and rebooted. Error message reappeared.

Reloaded OS last night, using same .411 version and loader.exe. Selected advanced and checked the two boxes to erase device applications and data. Reinstall proceeded as normal. I did notice that loader.exe has selected to delete the installed version of BBM, then replace it with the version bundled with the OS, then overwrite that with the .66 version in the loader.exe device data backup file.

When reinstall completed, I was prompted for a reboot. I selected "yes" and the screen went dark. The red light was on for a little while, then went out for a little while, then came back on again. Device didn't reboot, so I did a battery pull.

First thing I saw when it came back on line was the same error message, except that now the number is (53) instead of (52).

Deleted BBM .66, rebooted, reinstalled. Rebooted, and same problem.

Cannot find anything *constructive* or helpful on the Internet about this issue. A lot of users have posted here and there about uncaught exception errors, but not *this* one.

The only other time I've had this problem was when I used DM to load a couple of small 3rd party apps onto my device, maybe about a month ago. I loaded two website quicklaunchers and a <600kb 3rd party theme. The theme, if you're wondering, was Precision Modification, a well known and widely used theme I've had in the past with no trouble. The reason I did this was to test DM's ability to load 3rd party apps, and I knew these particular apps could easily be replaced should the test fail. It was only after I did this that someone told me to only use loader.exe to do that, same as I would if I was installing an OS. The point is after I loaded these things, I saw the same (52) error, but that after a couple of days it went away and I haven't seen it since. When I did the BBM "update" the error resurfaced and now persists.

Can anybody let me know what to do? I feel like I've tried almost everything, with no luck. Google is no help.

Last edited by digital_swissarmyknife; 05-10-2010 at 05:44 PM..
Old 05-10-2010, 06:09 PM   #2
devnull
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: I747
Carrier: at&t

Have you considered loading a newer OS? or even going back to 4.6?
Old 05-10-2010, 06:14 PM   #3
digital_swissarmyknife

Wirelessly posted

Yes, I've considered installing .592, have in fact downloaded the Wind Hellas package from blackberry.com. I've been trying to avoid having to go that route if at all possible, especially with all the forum posts I've read from user having problems with it. But if that's what it comes to, then so be it. Would I roll back to 4.6.1.231? I'd much, much prefer not to!
Old 05-10-2010, 06:17 PM   #4
devnull

well, in my mind, either direction(newer or older OS) would assist in narrowing down the problem.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:20 PM   #5
digital_swissarmyknife

Wirelessly posted

I've been seriously considering it. I'd be more likely to go newer. When I use loader.exe and select the advanced options, does that fully wipe the device before loading the new OS? I've been assuming it does, but I want to avoid the risk of a corrupt file somewhere making its way into my new installation. Also, I wouldn't be able to move forward with an OS upgrade until later this evening; is there anything else I should check in the meantime?
Old 05-10-2010, 06:24 PM   #6
devnull

I am no expert, but from everything I have read, the process of loading a new OS includes a wipe regardless of how you do it.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:17 AM   #7
digital_swissarmyknife

Well, there's good news and bad news.

The exception error came up pretty much immediately after loader.exe finished its work. I did an alt-shift-delete and didn't see the error when the device rebooted, and then I did a battery pull and didn't see it either.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:29 AM   #8
devnull

I found the following link which matches your newest error.

Uncaught Exceptions issue......... - Smartphone Forums

EDIT: Found a thread here on these forums talking about a simlilar error message but with different device model. The interesting thing is it references "deleting the call log" like the above mentioned.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...or-reboot.html

Last edited by devnull; 05-11-2010 at 07:50 AM..
Old 05-11-2010, 06:19 PM   #9
digital_swissarmyknife

If other people are having this problem, and the solution - or temporary solution - is the same in all cases, wouldn't this constitute a legitimate bug in the OS? I have seen on crackberry.com a reference to deleting the call logs as a possible fix for this issue as well.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:19 PM   #10
digital_swissarmyknife

Well, this is interesting. After leaving the device on continuously for a day or so (according to my rough calculations 30+ hours), I did a battery pull.

Prior to doing so, I noticed that App World has disappeared. I've looked in every folder, and made sure "show all" was selected. I switched to a stock theme. App World is nowhere in sight. It's listed under "Applications>Add-On" as installed, but I simply can not find it anywhere.

When I did my battery pull, the progress meter appeared to get hung up, and so I pressed alt-shift-delete. It felt like the reboot took an unusually long time, but the device did come back on line.

Still do not see App World, yet it is still listed under Applications>Add-On.

To the device's credit, however, despite the fact that I have not yet cleared my Content Store or Call Logs, I did not receive the Uncaught Exception error.

EDIT:
Also, just now I connected to DM to do my backups. I was notified that "updates are available" for "S/MIME Email Library" and "X.509 LDAP Browser." I don't know what those things are so I don't know if I should select to update.
During the backup process, and after I did the actual backup, I selected to clear the following from the device: content store, phone logs, phone history, MMS messages and VVM messages. Don't know if this is relevant.

EDIT 2: After doing my backups, I went into Applications and deleted App World. I was, of course, prompted for a reboot, and the progress bar hung as before. I had to do another alt-shift-delete and am now waiting for the reboot to complete.

EDIT 3: ...which it did not, forcing a battery pull.

Last edited by digital_swissarmyknife; 05-12-2010 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: Add more information.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:08 PM   #11
devnull

How long are you waiting for the reboot to complete?
Old 05-12-2010, 06:13 PM   #12
digital_swissarmyknife

The first one got stuck at 2/3rds, so I did an alt-shift delete. That one hung up at 2/3rds so I did a battery pull. That time it took probably 5 minutes or more to reboot. I didn't time it, but I wish I had.

After using the BB for long enough, and I hope I'm not the only one who feels this way, but I feel like I get a feel for how long a "typical" reboot should take, and that if it's taking substantially longer than normal, you can kind of tell. I'm sure this last reboot cycle took much longer than normal, but the best I can do is ballpark it at 5-10 minutes.

In the first two reboot attempts, when the meter got stuck at 2/3rds loaded, it was definitely frozen, because I sat there staring closely at it for a minute or two, if not more.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:20 PM   #13
devnull

So is the device up and running now?

I know what you're talking about regarding the boot time. When I was running v4 os on my 9000, reboots took around 4-5 min everytime. However, just the other day I upgraded to v5 os and the first couple of boots took a long time, but each subsequent was much shorter.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:28 PM   #14
digital_swissarmyknife

Not only is it up and running, but I could swear my file free is increasing as I use the device. When it came online, Memory listed 102mb and Status said 107. Now, after activating theme after theme to put my icons back where I want them, Memory is telling me 107 and Status says 111. I'm sure this has nothing to do with anything, but it is pleasing.

Others have suggested my content store may at some point have become corrupted. What do you think about this?
Old 05-12-2010, 06:33 PM   #15
devnull

I don't know for sure, but from what the other posts indicated, it sure seems like one of the databases was corrupt. I just wish we had found those other posts before you went thru all of this.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:44 PM   #16
digital_swissarmyknife

Had to wipe and reload using CrackMem to make the Uncaught Exception errors go away. It was worth it, although I was very nervous at the time since I'd never done this before.

I still get the "error backing up theme database" in DM, but other than that, the problem appears to have been solved.

Drastic measures, but it had to be done.

Last edited by digital_swissarmyknife; 06-15-2010 at 01:45 PM..
Closed Thread