Old 10-20-2007, 04:55 PM   #41
archer6
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog_ View Post
but I've now resigned myself to the purgatory of waiting for Amazon.
On a positive note, you may be pleasantly surprised, as I do a lot of business with Amazon and they often beat the stated delivery times. Especially in this case because I know from a solid contact that there are plenty of these phones in the sales channels. Thus it's not the supply problem that some people think it is. As I understand it the delays are related more to order processing and the enduring popularity of the 83xx series, therefore they have a massive amount of orders to deal with.

Cheers....
Old 10-20-2007, 06:07 PM   #42
MadDog_
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: Hang on. I'm looking for it!
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
On a positive note, you may be pleasantly surprised, as I do a lot of business with Amazon and they often beat the stated delivery times. Especially in this case because I know from a solid contact that there are plenty of these phones in the sales channels. Thus it's not the supply problem that some people think it is. As I understand it the delays are related more to order processing and the enduring popularity of the 83xx series, therefore they have a massive amount of orders to deal with.

Cheers....
Thanks. That and the valium I just took have brightened my day

I'm seeing that Amazon today updated my delivery estimate from a range of "November 7 - November 14" to "November 14." I wonder if they're just messing with me now because of the stink I've raised with them this week.

On your point about causes of delays, that's fine and I can buy that. What I can't buy or ever find acceptable are the lies I've been told. That's just flat out WRONG!
Old 10-20-2007, 06:19 PM   #43
tellingthm

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
AAAGGGHHHHH!!!
Amazon.com...What did you do before computers?
i'm guessing amazon.com wasn't too busy before the computer era.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:19 PM   #44
archer6

Quote:
Thanks. That and the valium I just took have brightened my day

I'm seeing that Amazon today updated my delivery estimate from a range of "November 7 - November 14" to "November 14." I wonder if they're just messing with me now because of the stink I've raised with them this week.

On your point about causes of delays, that's fine and I can buy that. What I can't buy or ever find acceptable are the lies I've been told. That's just flat out WRONG!
Don't get me wrong, I'm not sticking up for them. I'm just relaying my experiences that I've had over a period of time with them.

Despite how it seems to be, the unfortunate truth is the grow of the company over the last 18 months has been more than they can deal with effectively.
Thus many people that answer the phone are simply clueless. And since they are generally dealing with irate people, in many cases they just make up stories to get people off their backs. If they were well informed by their superiors your experience would be much better.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:55 PM   #45
MadDog_

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellingthm View Post
i'm guessing amazon.com wasn't too busy before the computer era.
OK. Good point. My bad.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:09 PM   #46
MadDog_

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not sticking up for them. I'm just relaying my experiences that I've had over a period of time with them.
Well, looking at my history, I have over 150 transactions with them. Every one of them has been perfect, up until now. Unfortunately, that one "ah shiite" can wipe out all the others.

Quote:
Despite how it seems to be, the unfortunate truth is the grow of the company over the last 18 months has been more than they can deal with effectively. Thus many people that answer the phone are simply clueless.
To me, that seems rather obvious now given the events over the past week.

Quote:
And since they are generally dealing with irate people, in many cases they just make up stories to get people off their backs. If they were well informed by their superiors your experience would be much better.
Amen to that. However, making up stories is not going to calm people down once they find out they've been lied to. I know that in 6 months, in the grand scheme of things, I'm really not going to care that this got delayed a week or two. But today, it makes a difference. The truth would have gone a lot further with getting me off their backs.

Last edited by MadDog_; 10-20-2007 at 10:10 PM..
Old 10-20-2007, 10:52 PM   #47
archer6

Quote:
However, making up stories is not going to calm people down once they find out they've been lied to. I know that in 6 months, in the grand scheme of things, I'm really not going to care that this got delayed a week or two. But today, it makes a difference. The truth would have gone a lot further with getting me off their backs.
I certainly agree.

I'm with you, there is no doubt about it, as I mentioned earlier I'm not sticking up for them. Just sharing my experiences and like they say "I feel your pain".

This is the one very ugly part of the wireless phone business is that it doesn't seem to matter who you do business with, if they are one of the big players, they know it and all too often forget about those of us who are paying their salaries, and expenses, and them some.......
Old 10-21-2007, 12:49 AM   #48
MadDog_

Quote:
... it doesn't seem to matter who you do business with ...
Aha! I agree or disagree depending on the context.

If the company is in the wireless industry, I'll agree 100%. However, Amazon is an online retailer, for which wireless is only one part of a HUGE business, so they should be standing behind their product, or customer service in this case.

I just finished my letter to Jeff Bezos, and will drop it in the mail tomorrow. It'll be interesting to see what, if anything happens as a result.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:40 PM   #49
geoc8368

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile

someone pinch me please, finally those f retards are sending me my 8320 (t-mo) phones after some 11 long days and nights. I HAVE A TRACKIN #!!!

that is after 45 minutes on the phone with them today and altogether 15+ phone calls since the first delay happened. also got a price match to what they are selling the 8320 for now. $75 bucks BEFORE rebate instead of $125 that i paid.

unfortunately, amazon for sure has lost me as a customer still...

good luck on anyone still waiting for the phones. i feel your pain.

PS: apparently i was told this morning they have only ONE fulfillment center in the entire company that can ship out cell phone. and they are having a "glitch in the software"... sounds like the movie MATRIX to me. when are the sentinels and agents coming i asked them. just demand from them compensation, 9/10 times they will give you at least $30.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:35 PM   #50
MadDog_

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoc8368 View Post
unfortunately, amazon for sure has lost me as a customer still...
Last week, at the height of my exasperation, I called Amazon.com and asked for Jeff Bezos. I left a voicemail in what they said was his mailbox.

Having heard nothing, I'd blown this off as total incompetence and was going to swear off Amazon forever.

Well, I just got a call from someone at corporate customer service. She was incredibly pleasant, understood exactly what the issues were, and before I had a chance to say a word, said that Amazon had "made a total mess of this."

They are, in fact, out of stock, but she had a call into the senior buyer to get an EXACT date, and said she was calling me instead of waiting for the date, but will call me back tomorrow with that date.

I do have to say that her response was impressive. This would have saved me a headache or two last week.

The proof will be in the pudding.

Last edited by MadDog_; 10-22-2007 at 05:37 PM..
Old 10-23-2007, 09:40 AM   #51
robothero
Knows Where the Search Button Is

lol letstalk pushed me back from today to tomorrow, we'll see if the trend continues.

damn online retailers.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:22 PM   #52
MadDog_

Got a call back today from Amazon corporate customer service. Their next 8310 delivery is due Thursday and I should have my phone no later than next Tuesday.

We'll see.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:07 PM   #53
MadDog_

So, Amazon gets the phone in stock yesterday (Wed., 10/24) and wastes no time in updating their website to scream "In Stock", and lowering the price to $74.99, so that it's free after rebate.

Despite the involvement now of their executive customer relations department and one of the senior managers at their order fulfillment center, they couldn't manage to get my phone shipped out today. This is the worst case of incompetence I may have ever seen. When they actually ship it is anyone's guess.

The lesson learned is that I should have had very low expectations from Amazon in terms of delivery. That would have eliminated the aggravation I've experienced so far, and I still don't have my phone. Also, I will NEVER order anything from them again where timely delivery is important. In the long run, it may have been worth it for me to save $200, but now I know to realize that "whenever you get it, you get it," regardless of anything it says on their website or what ANYONE in that company tells you.

This is an incredibly poor performance. I'd never recommend to anyone where timely shipping is important.

Last edited by MadDog_; 10-26-2007 at 01:04 AM..
Old 10-26-2007, 10:10 AM   #54
r1981ddn

Model: None

Quote:
So, Amazon gets the phone in stock yesterday (Wed., 10/24) and wastes no time in updating their website to scream "In Stock", and lowering the price to $74.99, so that it's free after rebate.

Despite the involvement now of their executive customer relations department and one of the senior managers at their order fulfillment center, they couldn't manage to get my phone shipped out today. This is the worst case of incompetence I may have ever seen. When they actually ship it is anyone's guess.

The lesson learned is that I should have had very low expectations from Amazon in terms of delivery. That would have eliminated the aggravation I've experienced so far, and I still don't have my phone. Also, I will NEVER order anything from them again where timely delivery is important. In the long run, it may have been worth it for me to save $200, but now I know to realize that "whenever you get it, you get it," regardless of anything it says on their website or what ANYONE in that company tells you.

This is an incredibly poor performance. I'd never recommend to anyone where timely shipping is important.
You are right. I mailed them this question "Placed my order on Oct 14. Amazons whbsite shows that Blackberry 8310 (AT&T) is in stock since 10/24. So just wanted to know when my order would be shipped?"

And their answer was -- "I've checked your order, and I can confirm that we still expect to ship it by the date listed in Your Account: Nov 6, 2007.

This estimated delivery date is calculated by how close the inventory of " AT&T Nation 450 Rollover Minutes + blackberry 8310 Curve Titanium Smart phone (Bundle)" is to the delivery address, as well as how quickly we can obtain and assemble your order for shipment.

We will send you an e-mail at the time of shipment. If you do not receive a shipment confirmation by Nov 6, 2007 + 1 DAY, please contact us"

If they had it in stock on 10/24 why do they want to wait till Nov 6.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:15 AM   #55
rsnadel

Model: 9000

General Thought (not meant to be specific to any one poster in this thread):

I think the realistic answer to your question is that they have different "classes" of customer. They have large-scale corporate customers, they have premier customers who buy frequently but not in bulk, they have one-time customers, they have customers who insist on overnight shipping, and they have customers who are content to accept free shipping (I include myself in that group) in exchange for a floating delivery date. If you've agreed to take delivery by a certain date, and they have not missed that date, do you really have a strong case for claiming they've mismanaged the transaction?

Last edited by rsnadel; 10-26-2007 at 10:16 AM..
Old 10-26-2007, 11:17 AM   #56
MadDog_

Well, I started my experience with Amazon when they showed it in stock on 10/13 (Sat), yet when I went to place my order that day, I got a delivery estimate of November 7-14. What?

I then call on Monday, their customer service tells me to "ignore the order page. We have it in stock and you'll have it by the end of the week." That was the first lie and it's gone downhill from there.

What really makes this disgraceful is that today on their website, it says:

"Get it by Monday, October 29 if you order in the next 7 hours and choose one-day shipping."

So, someone who orders their phone by 4 PM today will get their phone sooner than I'll get mine, and I ordered mine 2 weeks ago?

It's appalling and disgraceful, or "just" false advertising. Either way, they totally bite. Never again if delivery matters.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:19 AM   #57
archer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnadel View Post
General Thought (not meant to be specific to any one poster in this thread):

I think the realistic answer to your question is that they have different "classes" of customer. They have large-scale corporate customers, they have premier customers who buy frequently but not in bulk, they have one-time customers, they have customers who insist on overnight shipping, and they have customers who are content to accept free shipping (I include myself in that group) in exchange for a floating delivery date. If you've agreed to take delivery by a certain date, and they have not missed that date, do you really have a strong case for claiming they've mismanaged the transaction?
Nice Post! .... I concur.

Being fairly familiar of the structure of Amazon, I agree with your insight. It's unfortunate for the individual consumer, and I'm serious when I say that. However the facts are for Amazon to continue to grow, they have chosen to modify their business plan to head in a certain direction and what was once a company that was primary focused on individual consumers no longer has that as it's primary target market.

If they had not shifted their focus in other directions, many people here whom have ordered from Amazon would not still be awaiting the delivery of their phones, with no true idea of when they might arrive.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:51 AM   #58
greeneggsandham
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Darby
Carrier: FBSD

Following up on my earlier post, yes Amazon did ship the phone and it arrived on time. Wrong color though. Ironic because the color they did send was reported out of stock and $20 cheaper (I called and confirmed prior to placing order). Looks like they have some inventory control issues. I'm happy with the color but now want my $20 back
Old 10-26-2007, 01:03 PM   #59
rsnadel

Model: 9000

Quote:
Well, I started my experience with Amazon when they showed it in stock on 10/13 (Sat), yet when I went to place my order that day, I got a delivery estimate of November 7-14. What?

I then call on Monday, their customer service tells me to "ignore the order page. We have it in stock and you'll have it by the end of the week." That was the first lie and it's gone downhill from there.

What really makes this disgraceful is that today on their website, it says:

"Get it by Monday, October 29 if you order in the next 7 hours and choose one-day shipping."

So, someone who orders their phone by 4 PM today will get their phone sooner than I'll get mine, and I ordered mine 2 weeks ago?

It's appalling and disgraceful, or "just" false advertising. Either way, they totally bite. Never again if delivery matters.
How can it be false advertising if they quote you a delivery range that hasn't expired yet? You tell them how important timely delivery is to you, and then they provide information based on that input. Pay for overnight, get it tomorrow. It sounds like you chose to go in to a different queue (which, by the way, I suspect you could still change if you want to pay a few bucks to speed up delivery). Try modifying the shipping options before completing your next order-- you'll see the dates change according to the shipping method. I don't think they promise to ship according to when they order is received, do they?

Last edited by rsnadel; 10-26-2007 at 01:10 PM..
Old 10-26-2007, 02:13 PM   #60
MadDog_

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnadel View Post
How can it be false advertising if they quote you a delivery range that hasn't expired yet? You tell them how important timely delivery is to you, and then they provide information based on that input. Pay for overnight, get it tomorrow. It sounds like you chose to go in to a different queue (which, by the way, I suspect you could still change if you want to pay a few bucks to speed up delivery). Try modifying the shipping options before completing your next order-- you'll see the dates change according to the shipping method. I don't think they promise to ship according to when they order is received, do they?
How can it be? Well, I originally had two day shipping and they upgraded me to one day. They got these in stock on Wednesday, here it is 48 hours later and it's still not shipped, despite the involvement of their executive customer relations department and senior management at their fulfillment center. I guess that's just incompetence.

What I originally quoted: "Get it by Monday, October 29 if you order in the next 7 hours and choose one-day shipping", was on their website this morning.

I ordered mine on 10/15 and it's not shipped, and given that it's now passing 3 PM EDT, where this is coming from, it's not going to be shipped today, but if someone orders it in the next 4 hours, they'll have it Monday morning? I doubt it. That's false advertising.

The dude told me on Monday 10/15, when I called customer service, that the date on the purchase screen was a mistake, and now it's their "commitment." It's a heck of a way to run an airline, no matter how you slice it.

By the way, I see that they've taken down the "Get it by Monday ..." from their website. I wonder if my call today had anything to do with it?

Last edited by MadDog_; 10-26-2007 at 02:19 PM..
Closed Thread