ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
Just to tack on...... I haven't personally received poor customer service from Sprint, but I have heard that others have.

The only beef I have with them is that when we closed our Nextel account and opened a Sprint account, they were not able to move the credit from the Nextel account to the Sprint account (same credit on Nextel as what was owed on Sprint).

Yes, I know they are 2 different billing systems, but it's been a few years since Sprint bought Nextel, hasn't it? To make sure they didn't cut off our Sprint account, I had to make a payment on the Sprint account, and they are mailing a rebate check from the OLD Nextel account. Seems a little ridiculous to me.

Not even my 'friends in high places' could help.

yeas it is crazy Juwaack

ATT is in the process of switching to one billing system currently there are two. will be I think they said 2 years before it is complete
Old 02-24-2008, 10:37 PM   #22
SheepDog
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
PIN: ask if you need it
Carrier: Sprint

sigh. I'm spent. It is sad that so many expect to be stuck like this and make excuses about profitability and the like for the companies doing it to them.

Fighting city hall I guess.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:39 PM   #23
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Oh no, I didn't say I liked it..... that's just what's currently available.

As soon as one of the 'big ones' offers a no-contract solution (without getting screwed on equipment charges), there will be a mass exodous from the other carriers.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:40 PM   #24
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepDog View Post
Who's idea was it to require two year contracts for cell phone use?

All of the companies require it. That means you cannot leave if you get poor or no service without paying a bribe to do so! Whatever happened to good service kept customers?

Could other industries get away with this? Swan ice cream 2 yr contract?
Cable TV 2 yr contract? good service means I stay happily. Poor service should be rewarded with loss of customers and revenue!

Sprint is fine right now so it isnt about them. It is about the Gall of all_of_them!
I cannot accept that my phone would cost $500 to $1000 if I didnt have the contracts! The market would fix that price stuff! Bad price? No sell phones!

My contract was up in April coming up until I got a new phone (for bad service no less!). Now it is extended two years without asking. I know, small print somewhere?

Just frosts my blackberries is all!

/rant off

Sheep how do you mean they extended contract for 2 years without your knowledge?

when did yo do it? you have the same 30 day return period as a new customer or is it 14 days for sprint?

maybe buy a used device from buy sell trade section or ebay or craigslist then you could reverse the contract and be free come april again

Last edited by ezrunner; 02-24-2008 at 10:42 PM..
Old 02-24-2008, 10:41 PM   #25
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
Oh no, I didn't say I liked it..... that's just what's currently available.

As soon as one of the 'big ones' offers a no-contract solution (without getting screwed on equipment charges), there will be a mass exodous from the other carriers.
or mass copy catting such as the unlimited boom we saw last week
Old 02-24-2008, 10:42 PM   #26
theBorg
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 83/81
PIN: TO
Carrier: AT&T 8310, 8100, 7100

Wirelessly posted (7100t: BlackBerry8300/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Hey, Sheepie. Realize that you're talking about the most technilogically advaced consumer devices that are packed with bleeding edge chips. One of the main chips entails at least $20 million in R&D. There are hundreds of engineers working for 2 years on the device at 100K/year.
Why do you think these devices should be cheap?

The biggest, baddest chip I could sell you could do most of the functions here and would cost about $3000.

$299 for an 8xxx is a steal.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:45 PM   #27
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Quote:
sigh. I'm spent. It is sad that so many expect to be stuck like this and make excuses about profitability and the like for the companies doing it to them.

Fighting city hall I guess.

im fortunate to be honest my TMO line only costs me 25 bucks a month for unltd data and messaging as well as 1500 minutes, until I upgrade then I would have to get a newer plan not so economical to me so I buy used here on BBF or ebay and craigslist

ATT I don't pay for as the company covers that
Old 02-24-2008, 10:47 PM   #28
SheepDog
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
PIN: ask if you need it
Carrier: Sprint

I "upgraded" from Nextel 7100i to a Sprint 8830 after they cut my Nextel off with no reason. They sid they could turn it back on if I wanted to sign a new 2 yr contract even though I was up to date always.

--or--

give me a really good price on a Sprint phone if I switched. I took the Sprint 8830 and two months later got a letter saying my new Sprint contract was extended two years. *sigh*

What do they call that? The screwing you get for the screwing you got. Yea that is it.

I so far like the service I get with Sprint. Cell coverage is good for my areas. It isnt about that. It's about the assumption that I will except a contract that I did not accede to. "it's assumed" I guess.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:51 PM   #29
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Quote:
I "upgraded" from Nextel 7100i to a Sprint 8830 after they cut my Nextel off with no reason. They sid they could turn it back on if I wanted to sign a new 2 yr contract even though I was up to date always.

--or--

give me a really good price on a Sprint phone if I switched. I took the Sprint 8830 and two months later got a letter saying my new Sprint contract was extended two years. *sigh*

What do they call that? The screwing you get for the screwing you got. Yea that is it.

I so far like the service I get with Sprint. Cell coverage is good for my areas. It isnt about that. It's about the assumption that I will except a contract that I did not accede to. "it's assumed" I guess.
why now that is wack!!!! never heard of that happening doesn't sound right to me

I would flip if 2months after I got a device I was finally informed that I was now on a new 2 year contract
Old 02-24-2008, 11:03 PM   #30
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrunner View Post
why now that is wack!!!! never heard of that happening doesn't sound right to me

I would flip if 2months after I got a device I was finally informed that I was now on a new 2 year contract
anytime you change devices on sprint they try to force you to extend your contract. i would call them and ask them to prove you signed a contract, either physically or verbally.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:05 PM   #31
ricpac
BBFAQ Sysop

Model: 9700
PIN: Alt+Shift+H
Carrier: GLOBE

How much do you guys over there pay for PTF?
Old 02-24-2008, 11:06 PM   #32
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

PTF? That hurts my brain. You mean ETF?
Old 02-24-2008, 11:07 PM   #33
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

PTF? if that is the termination fee it ranges. somewhere between 150-200$ normally
Old 02-24-2008, 11:08 PM   #34
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Premature.....he prolly couldn't type the word.

For Sprint it's $200.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:11 PM   #35
ricpac
BBFAQ Sysop

Oops! It should've been E! Sorry. $200 is about the same price we have here or half the price of the phone's SRP whichever is higher. I hate contracts.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:12 PM   #36
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricpac View Post
Oops! It should've been E! Sorry. $200 is about the same price we have here or half the price of the phone's SRP whichever is higher. I hate contracts.
wow, that is aweful. Guess the people with those 16gb iPhones wont be terminating early eh?
Old 02-24-2008, 11:15 PM   #37
ricpac
BBFAQ Sysop

Yes indeed. Good thing I got a line-only subscription and the lock-in period is just 1-year. As for the iPhone, it hasn't officially been released here yet. But we already have a handful of users. sssshhhhh

Last edited by ricpac; 02-24-2008 at 11:17 PM..
Old 02-24-2008, 11:20 PM   #38
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

I'm surprised this thread made it this long in general discussion instead of rants and raves.

Long term contracts have been a fact of life since the start of cell phone service. Prepaid service came about partly because of that.

Sprint's rep acted irresonsibly by not mentioning the extension of the contract, but is it really surprising that a good price on a phone comes with a long term contract? But definitely complain about not being informed. They're losing customers by the boatload so maybe they'll give some concessions.

Tmobile offered no term, 1 year, or a 2 year contract when I signed up. With the best phone discount for the 2 year. AT&T kept offering me discounted phones before I switched, but always made it clear that the price was with a 2 year renewal.

If $500 -$600 seems like it's expensive for a smartphone, go to a country where the phone and service are not bundled.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:16 AM   #39
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Moved to Rants and Raves....

(even before reading your post, Monkeypaw!)
Old 02-25-2008, 01:56 AM   #40
Dinan3
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: & Teller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrunner View Post
im fortunate to be honest my TMO line only costs me 25 bucks a month for unltd data and messaging as well as 1500 minutes, until I upgrade then I would have to get a newer plan not so economical to me so I buy used here on BBF or ebay and craigslist

ATT I don't pay for as the company covers that
Actually, even on an upgrade, you have the option of keeping the plan that you currently have (even if it isn't offered anymore) or go to a different plan.

And if you think about it. The termination fee really applies to the device. Take the 8320 from T-Mobile for example. It retails at $449.99. You sign a contract with them for 2yrs and they discount the price for you. If you decide to end the contract, the termination fee is $200.00 which you can say is used to pay off the device.

T-Mobile does also offer a month-to-month program called "flex pay". No contract, no credit check!!! You pay for your service in advance and pay retail price for a handset or you can just use a handset that you already have.

Always ask before making any changes to your account "is this going to re-new my contract"?
Closed Thread