Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 05:56 PM   #21
mizditz101
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: iPhne
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Bahhhahah!

So I gave in (with the advice of my dad who brought up ONE thing that almost changed my mind) and called Tmobile and talked to the blackberry people

1- I got a REALLY nice lady, I like that =)
2- We "aren't sure" what the SMS problem is, but it HAS been seen and addressed before. Wont be sure what the diagnoses is until I get a hold of the friend that it was doing it to..
We DID however do the "delete and re-add" the data plans to my phone... and I guess updated some other stuff..
3- I am getting a new phone shipped to me, because of the back falling off problem. I decided, well I'm talking to them anyway, why not go all the way!
4- I DID get a confirmation on the 8120 in "Early April" but "No specific date is set" She did tell me that she's sure I'm not far off. Yay!
5- I asked about the blank MMS problem... she told me that she has experienced the same thing, and it really is a crap shoot whether you get the picture or if it's blank. "We have a dedicated team working on a fix for this right now, and expect a solution in the near future"

So if nothing else, maybe I will stop having these problems with a new phone entirely. There have been no reported outages recently as far as T-Mobile goes, so we both agreed that there is "something fishy" going on with my phone..

Guess we wait and see now what happen in "7 business days or less"
Old 03-20-2008, 08:48 PM   #22
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)

Well a new member just joined. Bought a Curve...I think if you PM him (PhoneSTUD1) he might still have his SK3 and might let it go cheap!

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 03-20-2008, 08:53 PM   #23
mizditz101

Lol, my dad said something that kinda struck me..
I was talking to him about it, because there are a few people within an hour of me that were willing to trade a slide for either a "blackberry" or "a phone of equal value" and the slide and the pearl are the exact same price outright..

I was talking to him though, and he said "Well, it may be too "businessy" for you now, but didn't you want to be a lawyer? Think more future before going totally crazy getting new phones" And he told me to call tmo, as I did.
So I guess with a new phone coming within a week, I should wait and see what happens in the next little while, because you never know what could get solved by getting a new phone :P
The only downside is now I have to re-load the OS and put everything back that I took off. I know that they don't really look, but I don't want any chances of getting charged for the exchange, and it's not that hard to just throw the original OS back on...
Old 03-20-2008, 09:36 PM   #24
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Get the Sidekick.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:51 PM   #25
mizditz101

I don't see the point in totally jumping ship when no one knows really what the problem is, or if it is fixable. The fact that the back cover comes off so easily is something that RIM actually knows about, and has advised CSRs to do warranties on Pearls that have this problem. The data problems, are seeming to have been fixed by the deleting and adding of my data packages again (I just got 3 emails from earlier today, and so far the delivering of SMS messages hasn't been so sporadic since)
I'm definitely not one to change phones instantly when something happens. I replaced my razr 5x in a year, and my LG 10x in 9months... when everyone else was telling me to get a different phone, I was making sure it's something that wasn't going to get fixed by a simple warranty replacement.
I'm one to try every possible solution before saying no more to a phone, and all the while be looking into other options. And that's what I'm doing. The offers I've seen for trading phones aren't going to go away in the next week, and if I still see problems by that point I'll look into other options.

From what it's seeming like so far it's either 1- my phone (it's getting replaced either way) or 2-it's the other persons phone. I've got notes all over my account now, as well as articles that go hand in hand with this problem.. So I'm pretty sure I'll at least get an answer as to whether it is solvable or not, and if it's not I may be able to get T-Mobile to trade my phone out for the slide (seeing as they are the same outright price) Which is also better than going out and trying to spend upwards of $300, if I can get it for free.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:44 AM   #26
mizditz101

Default Update!

I know what makes SMS messages not deliver..
I thought of it last night... and just tried it again.

If my phone is plugged in via wall charger, and it's DONE charging but still plugged in, it stops delivering.

WTF?!
The second I pulled out the charger, it delivered 3 text messages I had sent. Instantly.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:45 AM   #27
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Get the Sidekick. You will be happier with it.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:51 AM   #28
mizditz101

I'm not giving up on something this petty...
Unless someone wants to give me the $300 to go buy a sidekick out of contract, then fine, I'll do it.
But I paid $150 for this phone... Thats too much to pay for junking it a month later. If it was a razr, or if I paid $50 then maybe.

If I can figure out the problem and get a solution, is that a bad thing? Like I said I love this phone. Don't jump to conclusions by saying that I will like a sidekick better. I've never used one so ultimately I wouldn't know if I would like it better or not.
I feel I need to share not only my problems with the phone, in case of it happening to someone else in the future, but also to document how/if it was fixed. Whether I change phones or not, this is something I'm not going to look into fixing. ESPECIALLY if I'm going to sell this phone to someone else. I'm not going to ask x amount of money for a phone that has issues... I've been burned like that before, I don't want to do it to someone else.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:14 AM   #29
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

I don't see thousands of people with Pearls, one of the most popular BlackBerrys ever made all screaming about the same problem. You are also jumping to conclusions that the phone is the problem.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:25 AM   #30
mizditz101

Wirelessly posted

I can prove its something with the phone however, when it only does it when it has been charging and finished. I'm trying to use up some of my battery now, because of course I have to be able to duplicate it 3x for it to be a problem that can be duplicated by a store... I know many people don't have problems with the pearl, but I haven't heard of people on BES that have had the same problem my dad had the night he got his curve. I agree not everyone has the same problems, but not everyone uses the phone in the exact same way. Whose to say if someone else sent 20,000 texts on average a month wouldn't see this problem in the future? Hard to say, and we may never know. Many people also don't have the problem with the back cover falling off, but enough people do that its been documented by rim. Also this texting problem has been seen before, the lady I talked to told me, and also said there was an article about it, which is now attached to my account for when I call them back. (as she expected I would be doing) so its pretty much known that atleast a few other people have seen this happen, whether they are on this forum or not. If anyone else had this problem with their email sending, it would be a much bigger deal to a lot more people here, so I don't expect many people to be willing to even try and help. The "oh she's just a teenager trying to join the crowd" comes to mind. And that is far from the reason I got this phone. If that was the reason, I would have bought a sidekick the day I had the back cover problem...

Last edited by mizditz101; 03-21-2008 at 05:27 AM..
Old 03-21-2008, 06:18 AM   #31
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Again, perhaps the BlackBerry does not meet your needs.

We have two other 8100s IN MY HOUSE on T-Mobile that are not on BES. One only uses Texting - he doesn't even have an e-mail plan. A teenager no less. No problems.

And yes, the Sidekick does fit your needs and demographic. You may want to strongly consider it, as you don't seem to be getting the assistance you need from the lady or anyone here.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:23 AM   #32
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

i send several thousand texts per month, along with send/receive 15k emails a month on multiple types blackberrys on multiple accounts, and I have never seen this issue before personally. That being said, I am not doubing it is happening. Text messages go over your voice network and can be any number of factors that cause this problem. Network quality, network strength, device itself, congestion on the voice network, maintenance, etc. BIS doesnt have to do with this, you can send TXT messages without having ANY data plan. Test the new phone, test in multiple areas, have another user with Tmo check in the same area as you, to the same person/area. There are quite a few variables you have to eliminate before you can go blaming the BlackBerry itself.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:31 AM   #33
mizditz101

Wirelessly posted

I'm not sold that just because two other people have a pearl that means this phone is crap for me. The lady I spoke with was actually VERY helpful, and the only reason we weren't able to go farther with it in that phone call is because I had to get ahold of the person that I KNOW saw this problem with my phone, he was asleep at the time so there wasn't much more we could do until I got ahold of him and got more information. Many people in the WORLD didn't have a razr that changed dates every time you pulled the battery out of it, I did. Just because someone is the only one to document a problem doesn't mean the phone is "not fit for their needs" or "they shouldn't have the phone" I have odd problems with phones, I agree. But isn't that even more of a reason to figure this stuff out? I would have to say yes it is. If I can get a sidekick for you out of this for FREE because this phone isn't working for me, than that is what I will do, I've done a trade in before. I'm not sold that just because other people to your knowledge don't have this problem that it should go unnoticed. How many people have NO problem with mms messages coming up blank? Yet how many people do have the problem, whether we know them or not. I for one know three people with pearls in my area on tmobile besides myself than cannot receive pictures. I know you firmly believe that just giving up and giving over my phone is in my best interest... But why? So someone else can get this phone and have the same issue? That doesn't seem like the right thing to do. I for whatever reason have been raised differently and to believe it is my responsibility to try EVERY possible "fast" "free" or "easier" solution that throwing up my hands and saying I'm done instantly... I seem to see a lot of people here on the forums seeing TOTALLY bricked phones, but they try everything before they give in. Why should I be any different when my phone does still turn on? especially when all I'm hearing in a blackberry thread is to get another phone....
Old 03-21-2008, 06:34 AM   #34
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

well if you read my post, i gave a few things to try that you can try now. try those and let us know how they go. you have to eliminate all additional variables before the phone is the culprit. have you adjusted your SMS settings in the options menu? go to options > sms messages > change the encryption from 7 to 8 or 8 to 7 (if you can) and change the network from GPRS preferred to GSM, or vice-versa.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:51 AM   #35
mizditz101

Lol, sith, I was still typing mine once you had already posted yours. I have just read it, and that's more or less what I am doing.

I was given many things to check on before calling back, and that's what I have done. I have noticed some odd things with my phone (the charging thing) and that's just one more thing to add to my list of things to talk to them about again later on today
She asked me if the other party had experienced the same problems with 1- other people 2- voicemails. He has, in the past. But not at the same time as it was happening between the two of us talking.

I actually tried a while back to change the network to send over from GPS to GPRS preferred, and it had some pretty nasty results, so I changed it back. I will try this again though, never hurts to try it 2x.
As far as coding goes I have either 7 or UCS2... I'm not quite sure if UCS2 is the same as 8 or whatever... that's something I'll go over with them when I call (probably around 2 hours from now if I'm still awake)

Either way, the fact that 3x now if my phone is charging, and completes a charge but stays plugged in is when I see this the most, kind of irks me. What the provider be doing to cause it when my phone is plugged in but charged? I don't think there is much they could be doing to do that... Maybe I'm totally wrong though and they have control over my charger as well

I'm going to lower my battery once again before I call, and try this idea ONE more time.. just to be safe. I want it to be concrete that this is a factor to it happening.
I also have realized that if I have less than 3 bars (even 2) on EDGE, it wont deliver a text. The check mark will appear, but the D wont until I get 3+ bars.
Seeing as there is EDGE, edge, GSM, and gsm... I don't see why the highest signal strength would hinder sms delivery at that 2 bars... when I can be at school, with 1 bar on gsm, and still send one just totally fine, (one hallway in the school thats where my signal is at. Of course, I'm not IN school, but the office for the "school" I am in is in that hallway, and I have to take tests in there) but I guess anything is possible...

Last edited by mizditz101; 03-21-2008 at 06:53 AM..
Old 03-21-2008, 07:42 AM   #36
mizditz101

Ok... My BB stopped delivering again..
So I decided to see if I went over to my nokia if they would deliver...
they ALL delivered to his phone once I switched my sim to my Nokia...

Good? Bad? I don't even know what to say anymore lol
Old 03-21-2008, 07:43 AM   #37
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

I admire your tenacity in getting your issues resolved. Hope you can get your Pearl up and running.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:49 AM   #38
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

it does sound like you may have a bad device if you have other issues that you are seeing. try the new device and see if it helps.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:51 AM   #39
mizditz101

It's just not even FUN anymore! Lol

He just told me that not only did ALL the texts that were undelivered from the last half hour came through, but ones as long ago as the 7th have delivered as well. So I guess this has been an issue on my BB for more than the last 4 days, it's just now it's doing it more in mass than ever before..

I even tried someone from verizon, and although more of them delivered, still about every other one would not go through
Old 03-21-2008, 07:55 AM   #40
mizditz101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
it does sound like you may have a bad device if you have other issues that you are seeing. try the new device and see if it helps.
Yupp, that's my plan!
I will get the replacement BB probably by next Thursday, and test it from there. If nothing else, I have a nokia I can use until I get something else... IF I get something else. (Which I probably will, I'm NOT liking the T9 and extreme difference in keyboards now!)

I'll monitor it more over the course of the next weeks of course... Because it's seeming to be an odd almost random time of day occurrence... Although it's not working now, it could work for the next 3 hours... and then the charger thing as well triggers it from what I've seen...

It's odd, I'll admit.. I'm awesome at finding insanely weird problems I guess?