BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 01:47 PM   #41
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Please Login to Remove!

The numbers don't lie, the profits for the oil companies are out of control. I'm sorry but when one company make that kind of profit when the countries economy struggles then Free Market needs to be tamed.

"Exxon Mobil Corp. posted the largest annual profit by a U.S. company _ $40.6 billion _ on Friday as the world's biggest publicly traded oil company benefited from historic crude prices at the end of the year." Feb. 1st, 2008, Chevron - 2007 profit: $18.69 billion, ConocoPhillips - 2007 profit: $11.89 billion

And there is not that much oil in the US, in ANWAR their is enough supply for 4 months if we substituted it for imported oil. So its no solution.

The solution is to switch to hydrogen,
Norwegian hydrogen projects - Bellona
Norway HyNor Hydrogen Highway Project
GM developing home-based hydrogen filling station - Engadget

Last edited by test54; 06-14-2008 at 01:57 PM..
Old 06-14-2008, 01:58 PM   #42
customshopkv1
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
The numbers don't lie, the profits for the oil companies are out of control. I'm sorry but when one company make that kind of profit when the countries economy struggles then Free Market needs to be tamed.

"Exxon Mobil Corp. posted the largest annual profit by a U.S. company _ $40.6 billion _ on Friday as the world's biggest publicly traded oil company benefited from historic crude prices at the end of the year." Feb. 1st, 2008, Chevron - 2007 profit: $18.69 billion, ConocoPhillips - 2007 profit: $11.89 billion

And there is not that much oil in the US, in ANWAR their is enough supply for 4 months if we substituted it for imported oil. So its no solution.

Agree. My over $100 a tank in my wifes Suburban is OUT OF CONTROL
Old 06-14-2008, 02:18 PM   #43
test54
BlackBerry Master

yeah mine's pretty bad, easy math - 25 Gal. tank at $4.00 / Gal. is not good. I know other parts of the world pay more and others pay less but when there are clean alternatives out there it is time.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:46 PM   #44
customshopkv1

Mine cost $4.59 a gallon for regular. At least my Honda get 30 MPG
Old 06-14-2008, 09:39 PM   #45
BallHawk3
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Am I the only one not complaining about gas being high?

Ok so its doubled, but we need it. Gas will be gas. But are people really going broke from gas being so high? How much are people friggin' driving these days. I commute prob 1000-1500 miles a month. I wasn't spending much back then, and I don't consider it much now even though its doubled. Its like what...$200 a month compared to $100 before.

Prob the trickle down effect, and how everything else is going down south as well.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:47 PM   #46
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallHawk3 View Post

Ok so its doubled, but we need it. Gas will be gas. But are people really going broke from gas being so high? How much are people friggin' driving these days. I commute prob 1000-1500 miles a month. I wasn't spending much back then, and I don't consider it much now even though its doubled. Its like what...$200 a month compared to $100 before.

Prob the trickle down effect, and how everything else is going down south as well.
Personally, it sucks to put a paycheck a month in my tank considering that I make about 400 a month after taxes at my primary job at IL minimum wage rate. Right now I have two jobs so I have been holding off the damage, but my second job ends soon and that's when it's going to be bad. I have college expenses to pay for as well as housing and no other options. At the moment I live at home and I have to commute to my workplaces every day of the week, via driving and the bus system. My car only holds about 13 gallons of gas, I drive the speed limit and get about 30 MPG, but I also have no way to get around aside from driving and the mileage adds up quickly.

It's unfortunate, but I'm learning to cut corners to have the money until school starts again at the end of summer and I can stop worrying about gas due to walking/biking/bus system etc as options. In the meantime, gas companies will continue to get my paychecks.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:45 PM   #47
customshopkv1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallHawk3 View Post

You are the only one not complaining.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:23 AM   #48
PDM
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-Mobile

I aint complaining! ;)
Old 06-15-2008, 06:56 AM   #49
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

it is what it is.

but the fuel costs affect our food costs, clothing just about everything else.

I have taken to riding my bike to work as much as I can 3-4 days a week my coomute is only 8 miles round trip but anything I can save because the fiance' has to commute to work and school and that is about 50 miles a day
Old 06-15-2008, 09:28 AM   #50
metro12

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon

There is reportedly 8-10 BILLION barrels of oil underground within the US. So the question is not the availability of oil. There is plenty of oil. We just need to drill it out of the ground...and refine it of course.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:53 AM   #51
test54
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro12 View Post
There is reportedly 8-10 BILLION barrels of oil underground within the US. So the question is not the availability of oil. There is plenty of oil. We just need to drill it out of the ground...and refine it of course.
There is not that much in the US, just the look at the truth behind ANWAR and see that there is only about 4 months worth up there. IMO not even worth messing with.

Have to move to other fuels, for economic stability, national security and environmental benefits as well.

And Ballhawk, yes people are going broke paying for gas and goods that are much more expensive because of gas prices.

Last edited by test54; 06-15-2008 at 09:55 AM..
Old 06-15-2008, 10:33 AM   #52
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

well Coal can be converted to usable fuel

and the United States is to Coal what the mideast is to oil

but there are problems with that as well
Old 06-15-2008, 10:36 AM   #53
metro12

Model: 8830

A good percentage of our electricity is generated from coal.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:35 PM   #54
DacyJ

Model: 9000
PIN: g Bomb!
Carrier: The Newest AT&T

I repo cars with a friend and usually this time is slow with income tax checks and all, but he is actually getting quite a few cars because believe it or not gas is so high and some people dont have any other choice but to fill up there suburban or tahoe and then they cant pay the car payments on them so we go get'em
Old 06-15-2008, 05:21 PM   #55
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Are hotdogs higher price than brats????
Old 06-15-2008, 08:01 PM   #56
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

depends on where tha dogs are from
Old 06-15-2008, 08:46 PM   #57
wabbit

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post

let me ask you this, why blame the oil company's for our own greed, use and misuse? heck blame dmv for giving anybody with an iq of 2 a drivers license, blame the automakers for making cars a dime a dozen, blame banks for allowing them to be fiance, then if all of that is settled, we would not consume so much oil as these things would not be so easily to get to consume such oil.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:57 PM   #58
DacyJ

Model: 9000
PIN: g Bomb!
Carrier: The Newest AT&T

Wirelessly posted (by hammer and chisel)

The cheese jalopinoes ones are same price here
Old 06-16-2008, 06:42 AM   #59
test54
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit View Post
let me ask you this, why blame the oil company's for our own greed, use and misuse? heck blame dmv for giving anybody with an iq of 2 a drivers license, blame the automakers for making cars a dime a dozen, blame banks for allowing them to be fiance, then if all of that is settled, we would not consume so much oil as these things would not be so easily to get to consume such oil.
gouging is gouging, legal or not.
lets look at your examples:
DMV is regulated to prevent some frauds.
Automakers are regulated to raise their MPG but Oil and Auto industry lobbyists have lowered the required MPG every time it comes up.
The Banking industry is in great shape right now because of their abuse of sub-prime loans.
I actually hope the Oil industry keeps the prices high so it moves people to make change and move away from Oil.

wow wabbit, cannot imagine being pro-oil, scary.

Last edited by test54; 06-16-2008 at 06:50 AM..
Old 06-16-2008, 07:09 AM   #60
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

lets not forget all of the other products we use that need ptroleum based products!!! perhaps if we reduced our use of those products as well