Old 09-20-2008, 04:11 PM   #1
rygel411
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: tmobile
Default Switiching to tmobile android g1

Please Login to Remove!

I love my blackberry and its really pad for itself in the 1 1/2 years Ive had it. But I think Ill be switiching to the new tmobile htc google/android phone in a few days. Ive gotten quite annoyed with my blackberry internet not displaying pages correctly, half-ass html email, running out of memory, battery pulls, small screen watching videos and RIM's PAINSTAKINGLY SLOW os upgrades. Ive already seen plenty of demo videos of what android can do and the actual g1 handset, Im very impressed. I like the fact that its a touchscreen and has a slide-out hard keypad as well. Also with me being a tmobile customer, chicago is going 3g on thursday, the android g1 is 3g, my blackberry 8800 isnt. As I said I love my blackberry and its probably imo the best phone on the market(for the next few days at least) and way better than the i-crap. But for the reasons Ive mentioned above I think Ill have to move on, what do you all think?
Old 09-20-2008, 05:18 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

I think that you have written a paragraph that is very difficult to read and rants on about of whole bunch of different things. My question for google is whether they are really going to support android or will it remain in beta like every other google application and what happens when you need to go for support are you going to ever get in touch with someone at google or is it always going to be in beta. i don't card about a slide out keyboard the mda had one and i didn't like that one either. i think if you don't like the blackberry they you should certainly move on to a brand new platform that will at best be beta (or alpha) version code when it comes out. you can test it for other people.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:45 PM   #3
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Wirelessly posted (8310; Category 5)

What do I think?

I think you'll be back.

Last edited by JSanders; 09-20-2008 at 05:46 PM..
Old 09-20-2008, 05:55 PM   #4
adorkable
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: Ask.

I've have no plans to make the switch, but if I were planning to, I'd definitely wait a while before buying a brand new phone with so much hype behind it. You never know what to expect until after a product has been on the market for a while and average users give their opinions.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:28 PM   #5
rygel411

no doubt, I wont get rid of my blackberry because as I said, it is a solid phone. But the fact of the matter is google is a solid company that so far has put 100% effort in everything its started. And the reason I mentioned the keypad is because that was one of the main reasons I got the blackberry, I dont like sure-type and I dont like all-touch. I mainly use my phone for internet, email, gps and instant messanging. Ive actually been using opera-mini on my blackberry because I think it performs better than the bb internet browser itself. Im not switching because I 'hate' the blackberry, Im switiching because Im annoyed by the things RIM has ignored with their phones(and doesnt show an intrest in addressing). And I think HTC powered by google may be able to offer more, there really isnt a feature blackberry has that the android g1 wont, if anything, the specs I read show it will plain and simply be a more powerful phone. The only thing I will miss though is a website like this because of all the phones Ive had, this is by far the best support website.

Last edited by rygel411; 09-20-2008 at 06:30 PM..
Old 09-20-2008, 06:30 PM   #6
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Good luck. It certainly won't need a shift or caps lock key.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:18 PM   #7
strike2tamu
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted (8100 Strike 2)

Good luck.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:36 PM   #8
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

Just remember that demo videos are meant to be impressive.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:04 AM   #9
BallHawk3
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700

Why are people always posting things like these? It's pointless, and who cares. It's always the same thing, member with little to no posts, very little activity, and then one paragraph about their complaints, which is normally the same thing over and over (cookie cutter anyone?).

I seriously think their getting paid or something to do this. If that's the case, pitiful, just pitiful!
Old 09-21-2008, 08:46 AM   #10
TeritaM
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Torch
Carrier: Island of Misfit Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallHawk3 View Post
Why are people always posting things like these? It's pointless, and who cares. It's always the same thing, member with little to no posts, very little activity, and then one paragraph about their complaints, which is normally the same thing over and over (cookie cutter anyone?).

I seriously think their getting paid or something to do this. If that's the case, pitiful, just pitiful!
they want to be convinced to stay with bb. meh. one less person in the line when the javelin comes out.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:53 AM   #11
rygel411

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallHawk3 View Post

Can we please keep this as a discussion and not a playground arguement please? I find it very odd that you would enter a forum titled 'rants and raves', knowing exactly what the forum was designed for, and then complain about people who are using the forum as it is supposed to be used, and then look up my memeber activity as if being on this website more than the next guy makes you more intelligent or qualified to make a point *rolls eyes*. If anything they should make a forum for people like you to complain about other members, so people like you wouldnt have to be in this forum. And then maybe they should give out an award for people with the most posts or spend the most time on this website. Before I get in the weeds(which appears to be where you want to drag this discussion to) Ill move on.

As to what the person after you said, another reason Im getting the g1 is because of the 3g abilities(which the javalin wont have on tmobile), and Ive already seen some of the android software in action from the emulators that are out and from the software that has already been designed for it. I dont need to be convinced to keep the bb; I am keeping it as a backup, but for now Ill be moving in a different direction. Ill be happy to tell you all how the phone is if it does in fact come out this week.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:32 AM   #12
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller

It will be interesting to see how this new toy loads the cell phone system. I read that one iPhony has the same load on the system as about 20 BlackBerrys. It will be interesting to see how this works on the TMobile system. I fear that we are going to see per use billing as a result of the new "internet phones."

Be carefull what you want, it might bankrupt you.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:54 AM   #13
Helmdawg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: ned down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeritaM View Post
they want to be convinced to stay with bb. meh. one less person in the line when the javelin comes out.
ahhahahahahhahah
Old 09-22-2008, 07:52 AM   #14
Johnny909
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310
PIN: Worms
Carrier: AT&T
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmdawg View Post
ahhahahahahhahah
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Old 09-22-2008, 10:37 AM   #15
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Tbol, after 2.1 software that has been corrected, no extra load.

I will be in to play with the G1 but not sure about switching to Tmo.
and do you think there will be a line for Javelin? sad if there is.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:24 PM   #16
rygel411

well, I just pre-ordered my g1 today. It wont be coming out until oct 22nd but at least I wont have to stand in line now. The t-mobile website actually crashed for a bit cause thats the only way you can pre-order for now. Att is also coming out with the same phone(bottom looks a little different) around the holidays. But until I make the switch ill get the rest of my enjoyment out of the blackberry .
Old 09-26-2008, 01:17 PM   #17
wolfkeeper80

Model: 8900

I'm thinking about switching to the G1 as well. My current Blackberry, a 7800g, just lost it's click ability on the wheel, plus the USB connector is cracked (it's over 2.5 years old.) I don't want to buy anything that can't do 3G at this point, and $200 for a Curve is robbery when you can get one for half that w/3G from every other provider.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:49 PM   #18
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfkeeper80 View Post
I'm thinking about switching to the G1 as well. My current Blackberry, a 7800g, just lost it's click ability on the wheel, plus the USB connector is cracked (it's over 2.5 years old.) I don't want to buy anything that can't do 3G at this point, and $200 for a Curve is robbery when you can get one for half that w/3G from every other provider.
Sounds like you should be looking at other providers. Curves were $ 49 last week at VZW with 2 year contract.

You get to pick your poison but don't complain about the taste after you made your pick.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:08 AM   #19
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Really it's all up you wheather or not he BlackBerry does what your want it to do. I am overly satisfied with my Curve, veri reliable and secure who wants to buy something that isn't going to work?

I was looking at Andoid but I use this motto, if it ain't broke don't fix it.. My BlackBerry is perfect (till the next one). My only concerns with Android 1. it beta (or alpha), google stays in beta forever!! 2. It's open source (right?) that can be a security risk in the wrong hands.

Besides their are quite a few new BlackBerries coming out for a bunch of different carriers if you like the BlackBerry so much you should just sit tight for a few more months, you got the Bold, Javelin, Storm/Thunder, Pearl 8220 with OS 4.6/4.7 (OS 5.0 by the end of the year supposibly)

Follow me on Twitter
Old 09-28-2008, 09:19 PM   #20
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Hey, I'm all for trying new things. I say get it, try it and if you don't like it, you can always go back to your BB. Don't listen too much to others, only you will know what is right for you and only you will have to live with it.
Good luck.
Closed Thread