Please Login to Remove!

im switching to tmobile for that phone too. thats why mine is for sale
Old 10-05-2008, 05:04 PM   #22
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

eh, I would personally wait and get it IN HAND before letting go of the BlackBerry.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:28 PM   #23
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
eh, I would personally wait and get it IN HAND before letting go of the BlackBerry.
Agree, but I would wait at least a couple of months after it comes out to make sure that it is not a beta (or worst an alpha) product.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:42 PM   #24
rygel411
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: tmobile

Yeah I thought about if android might not be fully tested yet, so I will wait at least a couple of weeks before deciding whether to sell my bb or not. Theyre selling for 300 on average on ebay so Im not too mad about that. But Im confident that google put the necessary work in to ensure that the g1 is a solid phone. And the fact that opera is developing a browser for it that will have flash and adobe is working on the flash plug-in right now, Im looking forward to finally having that feature. Im also happy that all apps for the g1 will be free for the first 30 days
Old 10-05-2008, 06:46 PM   #25
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

I know in early November I will be giving up my Curve, wait for it, for the Storm.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:18 PM   #26
rygel411

Well I got the G1 now so if anybody cares, heres my mini review:

I got my phone on the 22nd and its simply the best phone Ive had, some of my friends have the iphone 3g and my wife has an ipod touch, the g1 imo is the best browser avalible on a phone, Im in chicago which is a 3g area and it is extremely fast. The touchscreen is very responsive and looks beautiful, the html email is incredible of course. I browse the web all the time so the fact that you can open up multiple windows with NO slow-down of the internet or the device is a huge plus. The keyboard I admit takes some getting used to(dont know if its the chin or the fact that I was so used to typing on the 8800) but its fine for me now. The phone btw looks very different in person; I cant stress this enough. You see some pics online and it looks like a brick but in person it looks and feels like a regular phone to me. The app market is very cool and my fav so far is an app called shazzam which records music that you hear to tell you the artist and title. Last night I was driving home flippin radio stations and I heard this song on the radio that I liked but didnt know the name of it. The song was in its last 15 seconds Id say but I decided to whip the phone out and turn the app on. I put the phone in front of the radio(10 seconds left to go in the song) and the phone listens and sure enough it knows the song(keven rudolph feat lil wayne), it then provides a youtube link to the song as well as a download link from the amazon store; amazing stuff! I could go on and on but in closing Ill just say Im very pleased with this phone. I still love my bb8800 and still keep it on to use its password keeper app but Im glad I got the g1. And reading up on the t-mobile forums and the android websites there might a developer thats gonna upload a plug-in on monday to the app market that enables flash! I hope this mini-review helps for those who are undecided about this device or just wanted a little info.

Pros: *Everything I mentioned above
*NO MORE BATTERY PULLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cons: *GPS companies are waiting until the app market isnt free(after new years) to release 'the real' gps programs, i.e. Garmin(maybe theyll go with handango for now?)
*Ringer is a little quiet in the pocket
* No auto-switch to landscape mode unless you open the keyboard(could change on monday)
*Terrible carrying case(more like a carrying pouch, lol)
*No flash support but as I said that could change on monday.

Last edited by rygel411; 10-25-2008 at 01:21 PM..
Old 10-25-2008, 07:54 PM   #27
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

the bar code thingy is really cool when shopping for stuff where prices are matched! ...
Old 10-26-2008, 12:50 PM   #28
BBFanboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Rogers

Serious question: Why are people comparing a three year old phone (8800) with a brand new tech phone (G1, iPhone 3G)?

The browser on the latest BB OS has been much improved in my experience.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:29 PM   #29
rygel411

I talked about the 8800 in my review because that was the last blackberry I had(with the latest os btw). But as far as internet is concerned, I think the g1 is the best hands down. I have not been to one website that the g1 has not rendered as it would be on a pc(flash excluded), Im not saying there arent any out there but thats my experience. Ive seen internet demonstrations on the bold even and it still has 'some' of the same page rendering problems as the other blackberrys, there are even similar stories being said about the storm. But I dont want to make this a blackberry bashing thread because I had a bb8800 that definitely served me well, Im just saying that in one man's opinion the g1 is the best phone out.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:55 PM   #30
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

bb's still use rims servers and rims browser, i doubt we will see a webkit type browser from rim any time soon. just my 2 cents.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:08 PM   #31
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

In my opinion the BB was meant for email not the web either. But I don't have a problem with the wapsites. They are fast and easy to read.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:29 PM   #32
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog46 View Post
In my opinion the BB was meant for email not the web either. But I don't have a problem with the wapsites. They are fast and easy to read.
Same here. I know a lot of people have problems with websites not showing up how they look on a computer (and the iPhone's browser is cool, I'll admit) but I like the WAP sites because of how quickly they load and because they are condensed. Very handy for me on EDGE.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:17 PM   #33
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

You might want to be a bit careful with the browser on that G1. Looks like it has some security problems.

Google Android vulnerable to drive-by browser exploit | Zero Day | ZDNet.com
Old 10-28-2008, 09:23 PM   #34
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog46 View Post
Are you running 4.5. Web pages are a big improvement over the old 4.2 ver.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:31 PM   #35
GBallew

Model: 8110
Carrier: at&t. Your world. Delivered. To the NSA.

That Shazzam program you are talking about, at&t has had it on their blackberry's for a couple years now. on The blackberry its called MusicID, but when you open it it says "Powered by Shazzam" or something like that. It is a cool program but not tied down to just the G1. list me something spectacular passed the BB's and I'll think about it. But old programs that are still available in new form (Nobex Radio Companion, which automatically updates to show you the song and artist along with album art, and the ability to send the info to your e-mail for use later with amazon and such) are not reason enough for me to switch from my beloved blackberry!

P.S. I enjoy the condensed version of the web. its fast and easy to browse without a lot of load time.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:00 PM   #36
Arcangel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: APPLE
Carrier: AT&T white 32G iPhone 3GS

brother this was a bad move. G1 is having all sorts of email delivery and send issues, a memory leak and a security problem. Why would you do that?
Old 10-29-2008, 01:54 PM   #37
rygel411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcangel View Post
brother this was a bad move. G1 is having all sorts of email delivery and send issues, a memory leak and a security problem. Why would you do that?
Yeah about that; I cant speak for everyone with a g1, but as a perfect example we could say the same thing when os 4.5 first came out, some people were having terrible times with it(and still are) and for others it ran fine, I guess I happen to be one of those that the phone runs fine for. Ive ran countless programs simultaniously with no memory leak and my email runs fine and fast. One of the internet features is opening multiple windows that you can switch back and fourth between: I do this every day with no slowdown. And the security issue was fixed with a patch released ota yesterday. The only thing I miss about the bb is bb messanger since one of my brothers and a friend still have their bb's. But yeah just like blackberry there are gonna be some users that run into problems, its just the way it is with all phones, this site probably has hundreds of threads with blackberry users going through the same thing if you havnt noticed But like I said so far(knock on wood) the phone has performed very nicely.

And as far as the wap sites, I was more talking about the rendering of the pages than the speed, I think wap sites are convenient too but I like looking at the pictures and other visual things, and some wap sites(foxnews and cnn for instance) dont have all the info a full site would, so when I was using my 8800 I tended to stay away from them.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:57 PM   #38
tlhead
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Wirelessly posted (8310; Category 5)

What do I think?

I think you'll be back.
lmao..omg these rant forums are tooooooooo funny