Old 08-05-2007, 06:51 PM   #21
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Why would they? BlackBerrys were made as an email machine, requiring data.

Let's see if BMW will make a car without wheels and doesn't require gas (ALL that extra money each month!). After all, somebody might want one for the cool sound system and comfortable seats--EVEN though it was made to be car.
Exactly.

What I don't understand in xspeedy's case is why, if you can afford to own a newish BMW with BT, you can and should afford the BlackBerry plan.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:50 PM   #22
shawnc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
I agree. A co worker picked up a Treo on ebay then activated without a data plan. When I questioned him on it, he said he only really wanted it for the calendar and didn't want to spend the whole $15 Sprint commands for its unlimited data plan. Every time I see him with his basically dumb brick on his belt, I laugh to myself.
Seems awfully judgmental. I have a Pearl with no data plan and no plans on getting one. My employer won't let me use it on our network so I still have my company-issued brick for email, etc. I brought the Pearl for three reasons, looks great, very functional as a phone, and most importantly, fantastic music player that allows me to put the nano in the drawer. One converged device is better than two. I can see that it would be irritating to listen to folks who try to steal something and then complain about it. But many of us simply have no need for a data plan. Lighten up and let us enjoy our toys too .
Old 08-07-2007, 10:27 AM   #23
xspeedy

Model: 8800
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
Exactly.

What I don't understand in xspeedy's case is why, if you can afford to own a newish BMW with BT, you can and should afford the BlackBerry plan.
Did you read the post? My work provides me with phone service and basic WAP data is part of that. I don't need e-mail, just access to my WAP plan and a keyboard for texting. I have a Blackjack which does that, but has poor BT implementation. A Blackberry is more than an e-mail machine - it is a phone, a text machine, a GPS, an organizer...

Why spend money on a BB plan that I don't really need? Some of us like the hardware, but don't need the push e-mail. Just because the hardware supports the feature doesn't mean it is stupid to buy the hardware for all the other things it does. Many of us buy regular cell phones that have WAP browsers and MMS, but I'm sure many only use the phone function.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:37 AM   #24
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Yeah,

Taking advantage of an offered/unblocked service to get the service you want at the price you're willing to pay = OK.

Stealing sevice = wrong.

No surprise that there are theives in this world. Trying to justify stealing on the grounds that the carrier's prices are a rip off, however, is what would push my buttons and get me very irritated with a poster.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:51 AM   #25
theBorg
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 83/81
PIN: TO
Carrier: AT&T 8310, 8100, 7100

Here's a positive spin on the cheap skates. The BB is a rather open device - developers tools are available freely and they seem to be of high quality. IMHO an energetic (white hat) hacker community is very beneficial to any technology.

Anyone who takes the time to figure out how to get data working without paying the man or doing anything illegal gets props by me.

That being said, most of the cheap skates are not technically savvy hackers, they're just regular consumer cheap skates clogging up our forums.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:01 PM   #26
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

As a long time Linux / Unix user I am all for open source development and I very often donate to developers... A thief is a far cry from a developer and an easy way to send me on a rant and get one of the mods here to give me a few day break (ban) is to start aking for and talking about stealing....

That's the extra $1.12 (not .02) a month worth that I pay on my bill to cover the cost of fraud..

Kris

Last edited by LunkHead; 08-07-2007 at 12:14 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 08-07-2007, 12:06 PM   #27
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Anyone looking to get the service they want and legitimately pay less for it, this is their formum, too. It does get tiresome for regulars to see the same question come up every other day, but pick from any number of topics where that is happening.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:47 PM   #28
xspeedy

Model: 8800
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post

Yeah,

Taking advantage of an offered/unblocked service to get the service you want at the price you're willing to pay = OK.

Stealing sevice = wrong.

No surprise that there are theives in this world. Trying to justify stealing on the grounds that the carrier's prices are a rip off, however, is what would push my buttons and get me very irritated with a poster.
I don't think it is about stealing data. I don't think anyone can steal data. It is a matter of what data plan you wish to use. Most folks already have a good deal on the basic WAP plan, or want to use the pay-as-you-go option. If one only wants basic web access from their phone, then a BB specific plan isn't required.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:22 PM   #29
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

One can steal data, speedy. You may be one who also believes one can't steal a cable signal or even electricity, but it is possible, and it happens every day.

And it is wrong. As it is now, the carriers know what is happening and obviously they don't care. One day they may, and block access to TCP without an account.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:34 AM   #30
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Wirelessly posted (CrackBerry 8700: SAMSUNG-SGH-I607/I607FG1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 320x240) UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

At the end of the day, this is a matter of principle. BlackBerry devices were made to use BlackBerry data plans. It's as simple as that.

Thus, trying to get data access on a BlackBerry through any other means is, in my opinion, stealing.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:44 AM   #31
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

See the thread started by new member makedonce today. He may be trying to fit a sqare peg in a round hole as far as some are concerened, but different strokes as far as I'm concerned as long as it's legal and ok with the carrier, which his case seems to be, as far as I know. If he and his question are legit, I believe he's wecome to BBF, or should be.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:39 AM   #32
hsuanstr
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

I have then 8320 without a WiFi plan and I'm perfectly happy with it. There is WiFi everywhere I go at school, at my lab, at home. I'm connected to wifi about 24/7 and I'm able to check my mail and what not perfectly.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:12 PM   #33
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

To me i feel don't complain about soemthing not working that you are not paying for. I think that is what gets me worked up.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:21 PM   #34
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

There will alway be people who want to buck the system, cheat, steal, and pass the cost of this onto honest people... It's a fact of life and job security for me... BUT.... Thats does not mean I like it, can stand it, or even want to look at these crooks any less than I have to....

*off soap box*
Old 10-08-2007, 11:26 AM   #35
Paul Bowles
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: Orange

I must say one thing. Most of the trouble extends from Carriers not explaining things properly. I have seen myself people that have got a BlackBerry from their carrier as a replacement phone and unless they specifically ask for the services they are very rarely ever told about them. This then leads to people feeling ripped off because they are stuck with a new phone that "I cant get my email on like my old nokia".

Yes they should have done more research but 95% of people just expect it to work the same as everything else and it really should be down to the carriers to make them aware of what they need.

That being said if you know in advanced that you need data plans and you still get one thinking you can work around it then thats your problem (same as the people that bricked their unlocked Apple iPhones but thats another discussion :P).
Old 10-08-2007, 01:32 PM   #36
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Yeah especially those people who work in the VA Beach ATT store, never explain things very well.

More consumers buying the devices, more headaches explaining the need for a data plan.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:43 PM   #37
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller

Why would anyone get a BB or any PDA for that matter without a data plan? Maybe they trying to impress their friends that they have a phone with a keyboard. lol

Kinda explains a lot doesn't it? Looking cool is more important than being rational.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:51 PM   #38
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBOLTRAM View Post
Why would anyone get a BB or any PDA for that matter without a data plan? Maybe they trying to impress their friends that they have a phone with a keyboard. lol

Kinda explains a lot doesn't it? Looking cool is more important than being rational.
Cool or Rational? I guess I am going to have to go with cool
Old 10-08-2007, 09:21 PM   #39
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBOLTRAM View Post

There are lots of reasons other than yours for having a BB without a data plan. My wife likes the calendar/Outlook sync functions but has no use for data on the phone. The above may be true in many cases but don't generalize everyone into that category.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:26 AM   #40
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
There are lots of reasons other than yours for having a BB without a data plan. My wife likes the calendar/Outlook sync functions but has no use for data on the phone. The above may be true in many cases but don't generalize everyone into that category.
Maybe RIM should design a flip phone without the email function and see if it sells. I have been wrong in the past and will be wrong in the future. The present is sort of cloudy.