BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 12:15 AM   #61
BallHawk3
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Well this is a pretty large forum, and the maturity level is much better than other forums I frequent. Staff is fair and does a good job of maintaining peace. It's pleasant to be on here. Also not a lot of "i'm better than you" type of attitudes that is far too common on automotive type of forums. And i'm sure being a "professional" mobile device forum, you won't run into many of the common problems.

Can't say the same for others i'm on, which I get sick everytiem I click the "new threads" button then deciede to not come back to the forum for a few days.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:27 AM   #62
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallHawk3 View Post
. ..And i'm sure being a "professional" mobile device forum, you won't run into many of the common problems...
That used to be the case. The Pearl changed all that.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:34 PM   #63
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
strike two
I am truly sorry and will try to be better.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:52 AM   #64
greeneggsandham
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Darby
PIN: N/A
Carrier: FBSD
Default ladies and gentlemen, for your amusement and entertainment.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamjam View Post
The premise for this thread is great. Bash the bashers for bashing. Didn't they teach something in Sunday school about how fruitless this is?
Peter Gabriel's "Not One of Us" comes to mind. A tune in which Peter Gabriel Plays Live he dedicates to "... those groups of people who break themselves up into smaller groups of people in order that they may feel superior by excluding others...."

Definitely some major 'tude going on hereabouts. Yeah, it's hard not to get calloused dealing with "clueless end lusers" day in and day out when you're in tech support related capacity. But better to rise above than sink lower. Managed a few forums in my day so I know it's hard not to become jaded. Modding is not just a job, but an art form in and of itself.

There's LOTS of info available on the net, much of which is erroneous. And you never know how much of this erroneous info a new user has encountered and been confounded by before arriving here.

For example, seeing how some of the other threads get closed comparatively easily, I was waiting for the shoe to drop on my IMAP thread. But guess what? Among the gripes there's also some good, relevant, tech discussion that cleared up confusion arising, not from lazy clueless me, but more from people who you would expect to know what's up giving you erroneous info. Then some snide remarks along the lines of us getting to complex. Well heck, " BlackBerry Architecture --> BlackBerry Network" seemed like appropriate place for the discussion to me. Turns out that problem was not on my end at all but some RIM/BIS backend glitch that we'll never know about because RIM doesn't seem to like to admit to such things. However, feedback from other *nix admin is what kept me from writing it off as MS centric softwear design incompatibility. Something I was obviously not alone in, as I've already "given back" by helping another *nix admin get theirs working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead View Post
You see what they did to beastie???? I have a thread in off-topic trying to figure out who avatar-napped him and is forcing him to hold an iPhone....
LunkHead - regarding your comments about Beastie and Iphone - I assume you know who JKH is and that OSX IS FreeBSD at it's core. So it's not too big a stretch to see Beastie with an IPhone cuz that IPhone is likely running FBSD kernel.

Last edited by greeneggsandham; 10-17-2007 at 11:53 AM..
Old 10-17-2007, 11:58 AM   #65
BurningBerry
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile & Vodafone

great post kris
Old 10-17-2007, 03:43 PM   #66
bertiebassett
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
That used to be the case. The Pearl changed all that.
Spot on.. as RIM is now pushing the consumer devices more and more this will become a bigger issue. Here in the UK they're shortly rolling out the new pearl but will keep the current pearl rolling for a few months but lower the prices - to position over the holiday season as an 'entry level device'

So by definition we'll have more newb's and people who are less considerate of the etiquette and [insert sweeping generalisation] mor of da yth wat tlk lik them is txtng m8s. [end generalisation] so the noise ration and general attitude will go up

having been here for some 15/16 months I don't now usually ever bother looking outside bes admin corner as I can't be bothered with the stupidity of some posters - I thought 'googling' was a compulsory high school lesson these days - and yet some posters don't know where it is..

Still here's to WES'08...
Old 10-17-2007, 03:59 PM   #67
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Bertie, to quote yourself, "spot on".

I enjoy helping the newbies, and I do it dozens of times each day answering the very same question(s) I answered the day before. I despise a lack of gratitude and those with a "holier than thou" intelligence.

Etiquette and politeness go a long way with me. I will hand-hold the most tech-phobic of those exhibiting even the slightest of appreciation and willingness to learn.

I appreciate those of you, greatly so, who help out over in the BES Admin area. Not my neck of the woods, at all.
Closed Thread