Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 06:13 PM   #1
rsgalloway
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100i
Carrier: Nextel
Default Anyone using GMail on their BB?

Please Login to Remove!

I just got a new 7100i and created a new GMail account because it allows POP access. Now I can't get the settings right to allow for wireless reconciliation. For example, if I send an email from the BB, it doesn't show up in the Sent Mail on the GMail side. If I send an email to the GMail account and read it on the BB, it stays unread on the GMail side. If I delete an email on the BB it doesn't delete on the GMail side... basically it's not reconciling at all.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:38 PM   #2
rsgalloway
Thumbs Must Hurt

anyone? come on.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:48 PM   #3
Berry One
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

GMail is beta. Betas have bugs. GMail has bugs.

Try Yahoo Mail. It is better.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:53 PM   #4
rsgalloway
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry One
GMail is beta. Betas have bugs. GMail has bugs.

Try Yahoo Mail. It is better.

Jeez, that's not what I asked. I do use Yahoo Mail but it doesn't have free POP access which means I can't get messages on the BB.

I just logged into the BWC/BIS (whatever) and looked in the help pages. It says that email is automatically reconciled over the wireless network between the handheld and the blackberry account, but NOT reconciled between the handheld and an ISP (i.e. Yahoo, GMail...) email account. What?! That sucks! If that's true then there's no point for individuals (or anyone without access to BES) to own and use a BB, period. It's not worth the $45/mo. Blackberry are you listening? You're going to lose market share bigtime soon!
Old 11-29-2005, 08:01 PM   #5
Berry One
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

Quote:
I do use Yahoo Mail but it doesn't have free POP access which means I can't get messages on the BB.
Did you try to add Yahoo account to your blackberry through WebMail? Try it first.

Quote:
Jeez, that's not what I asked.
Yeah, I misread type of your blackcberry. You have 7100i, not 7100t. Your provider is not T-Mobile. There is a big difference.

Quote:
It's not worth the $45/mo. Blackberry are you listening? You're going to lose market share bigtime soon!
Switch to T-Mobile, 7100t. They have what you want: reconciliation with ISP. It might not work with GMail (repeat after me: GMail is Beta, Beta has bugs), but it'll work with Yahoo. Even with free Yahoo accounts.

Quote:
there's no point for individuals (or anyone without access to BES) to own and use a BB, period
Few hundred thousands BWC blackberry users (without access to BES) will disagree, and I am among them.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:09 PM   #6
rsgalloway
Thumbs Must Hurt

Berry One, are you serious? T-Mobile offers reconciliation with ISP accounts and Nextel does not? WTF? Why? How can I be certain of this? Is there a document that proves this? It sounds so ridiculous. I mean, aren't all the messaging done through the Blackberry Internet Service? Isn't it all the same thing? Isn't that what costs $45/mo? What am I paying for then? Argh.

If I can get wireless email reconciliation with ISP accounts (GMail, Yahoo, or my own website accounts) then yes, I agree it's worth it.

BTW, I thought T-Mobile sucks. It's for girls, isn't it?
Old 11-29-2005, 08:14 PM   #7
jwaters
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7520

There is a very long post http://www.blackberryforums.com/show...ward+pop+Gmail
that tells how to do some of what you are trying to do. If you read through it and follow the directions you can have your messages show up in a "sent" folder on Gmail.

Since email is only forwarded to the bb it won't mark them as read on gmail, but since all the emails from your inbox go directly to the BB you know they are read anyway. Plus this allows you to download them via Outlook or some other means if you choose. Other than being on a BES I don't think there's a way to reconcile how you are wanting to.

I don't have a BES and use this method of getting email and it works great. I'm not sure why you would make your last comment about it being worthless to individuals. Personally I like getting my emails on the bb but being able to download them via Outlook also.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:29 PM   #8
rsgalloway
Thumbs Must Hurt

jwaters:

Thanks, I will read that thread. I set up my GMail account in BWC/BIS and turned on POP access within GMail. There don't appear to be any other options available in BWC/BIS to control reconciliation.

I don't use my BB exclusively to check and respond to emails. Do you? I'm at my desk most of the time and use a desktop computer. I don't want to waste time sifting through emails I've already read and responded to either on the BB or on the desktop. If I read an email via my desktop, it should appear as read on the BB. Then, when I step away from the desk I want any new email to follow me via the BB. If I use the BB to send an email, I want it to appear in my Sent Mail folder on the ISP side and vice-versa. The inbox and sent folder should be clones of eathother on both ends. Does that make sense?

Last edited by rsgalloway; 11-29-2005 at 08:33 PM..
Old 11-29-2005, 08:36 PM   #9
jontalotta
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsgalloway
I don't use my BB exclusively to check and respond to emails. Do you? I'm at my desk most of the time and use a desktop computer. I don't want to waste time sifting through emails I've already read and responded to either on the BB or on the desktop. If I read an email via my desktop, it should appear as read on the BB. Then, when I step away from the desk I want any new email to follow me via the BB. If I use the BB to send an email, I want it to appear in my Sent Mail folder on the ISP side and vice-versa. The inbox and sent folder should be clones of eathother on both ends. Does that make sense?
This makes sense, and someday I am sure that RIM will figure out how to make the BIS work the same way your computer handles POP or the way BES works. A few years ago you couldn't touch Internet email with a BB. Now you can. Be patient.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:46 PM   #10
rsgalloway
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontalotta
This makes sense, and someday I am sure that RIM will figure out how to make the BIS work the same way your computer handles POP or the way BES works. A few years ago you couldn't touch Internet email with a BB. Now you can. Be patient.

Hahah, jontalotta. I am not a patient man, that's one thing I have to deal with. I have read that the T-mobile BBs (like the 7105t) DO wirelessly reconcile ISP mail accounts like GMail or Yahoo though. Can anyone verify this?
Old 11-29-2005, 09:55 PM   #11
PGChi
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMobile

For once I thought I would be able to contribute something to this forum but alas I am too late.

Anyways I can still contribute a little. I have used GMail and my previous 7510, 7520 and 7100i blackberry for a long time. Everything that others have contributed is correct but there is one thing that you can do is on the blackberry webclient just below the place where you enter the POP email addresses there is an option called " Leave messages on mail server" Just un check the box so after the messages are delivered to the handheld they are removed from the gmail account.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:59 PM   #12
brianlyoung

Model: 7290

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsgalloway
Hahah, jontalotta. I am not a patient man, that's one thing I have to deal with. I have read that the T-mobile BBs (like the 7105t) DO wirelessly reconcile ISP mail accounts like GMail or Yahoo though. Can anyone verify this?
Yep, i'm on TMO with 5 different POP accounts set up on the BIS and they reconcile whenever i've checked online.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:58 PM   #13
rsgalloway
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlyoung
Yep, i'm on TMO with 5 different POP accounts set up on the BIS and they reconcile whenever i've checked online.
I'm at a loss for words. I cannot understand the difference. Why this should work on T-Mobile and not on Nextel is beyond rational thought.

brianlyoung, I have some follow up questions for you, if you don't mind:

1.I know you said BIS, but are you also using BES?

2.Which BB model do have?

3.Which T-mobile plan do you have? How much?

4.Have you tried this with Yahoo and GMail?

5.What is your opinion of T-Mobile? I thought they sucked.

6.When you say "reconcile", does it do everything that has been mentioned in previous posts? i.e., does it automatically update emails on both sides? Like if I read a new message on the BB does it change the status on the POP server to read as well and vice versa?

Anyone else with T-Mobile wireless email reconciliation please add your experiences. And if anyone knows why this doesn't work on Nextel please post. Thanks.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:06 PM   #14
brianlyoung

I'm at a loss for words. I cannot understand the difference. Why this should work on T-Mobile and not on Nextel is beyond rational thought.

brianlyoung, I have some follow up questions for you, if you don't mind:

1.I know you said BIS, but are you also using BES? - NO

2.Which BB model do have? - 7290

3.Which T-mobile plan do you have? How much? UNLIMITED $30

4.Have you tried this with Yahoo and GMail? GMAIL

5.What is your opinion of T-Mobile? I thought they sucked.

Works great for me at the cheapest ratel. Since i travel internationlly half the time they have the cheapest international data rates.

6.When you say "reconcile", does it do everything that has been mentioned in previous posts? i.e., does it automatically update emails on both sides? Like if I read a new message on the BB does it change the status on the POP server to read as well and vice versa?

When you reconcile from the bb in will reconcile your pop accounts. If you delete from your pop accounts it won't auto delete from your bb. TMO just recently changed over their BIS system so that there is no actual webmail based access to your [email address] anymore. Everything can be done via the bb or when you login into your TMO account online. TMO is the first to have this set up which i believe all other carriers will revert to eventually.

Anyone else with T-Mobile wireless email reconciliation please add your experiences. And if anyone knows why this doesn't work on Nextel please post. Thanks.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:14 AM   #15
Mr Pink57
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

Wirelessly posted (your electric?: BlackBerry7100i/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/103 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3 UP.Link/5.1.2.16)

Berry One: I don't know what rock you live under but GMail has been out of beta for a while here now, and reconcile has nothing to do with "bugs" that GMail may have. Also if this is 100% important to you in have reconcile I suggest you look into a hosted BES from some of the sponsers here. And if you feel you don't wanna pay then I am sorry but you can't get everything for free man. I also suggest you forward you GMail over using BIS, since its much faster this way and gives the same results. pink
Old 11-30-2005, 12:27 PM   #16
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink57
Berry One: I don't know what rock you live under but GMail has been out of beta for a while here now
Where is here? I'm in the U.S. and my GMail account still says BETA.
In fact, everyone I know still has a GMail account in beta.

This is what I see when I log into my GMail account...
http://mail.google.com/mail/help/images/logo.gif
Old 11-30-2005, 03:12 PM   #17
neuor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: By Request
Carrier: Sprint

I had Nextel. I decided that I wanted a BlackBerry and started doing research. The BlackBerry Unlimited plan with my voice plan on Nextel would have been over $100 per month. I now have T-Mobile with their $60 per month plan for voice and unlimited BlackBerry. Personally I think iDEN is a superior technology to GSM. However it is not $40 per month extra superior. So far I have been very pleased with T-Mobile's service and customer support.

BTW: I have T-Mobile and I am not a girl.

Also when I go to GMail's site it still says BETA.
http://garrettkelley.com
Old 11-30-2005, 05:51 PM   #18
rsgalloway
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuor
I had Nextel. I decided that I wanted a BlackBerry and started doing research. The BlackBerry Unlimited plan with my voice plan on Nextel would have been over $100 per month. I now have T-Mobile with their $60 per month plan for voice and unlimited BlackBerry. Personally I think iDEN is a superior technology to GSM. However it is not $40 per month extra superior. So far I have been very pleased with T-Mobile's service and customer support.
Yeah, I just wrote off T-Mobile though cause they market to girls (it's so obvious). Also, I assumed Nextel and Sprint have the best voice network and I'm right. I am now wondering if I can get Nextel for phone and T-mobile for data. Anyone doing this?

Quote:
BTW: I have T-Mobile and I am not a girl.
Hahah. Maybe not, but you have a girl's carrier.

Quote:
Also when I go to GMail's site it still says BETA.
Yup. Doesn't matter though. It's still POP. Should work. In fact it does. When I set up my email client on my Mac to check Gmail, it does exactly what it's supposed to do for a POP account. My BB doesn't. It acts like the email was forwarded to the BB, and not accessing it via POP.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:55 PM   #19
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
PIN: ASK ME
Carrier: Tmobile

i have a 860 on nextel and a 7290 on tmobile...it works out great and i love it.. and hey im not a girll..rotflmao

WWW.TheTDGrouponline.com
Old 11-30-2005, 05:56 PM   #20
brianlyoung

"Girl's carrier"????

What are we, 12 years old standing in the school gym wondering if we should ask the girls to dance?

Come on!!!
Closed Thread