BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 07:18 PM   #41
ToY9CiTO

Model: 7105T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulcamara
That doesn't work for me either. I get a menu, but page down is not one of the options. I've wasted enough energy on this. Time to delete it.
I want to know who has gotten the so called shortcuts to work..

#,1 #,2 etc all they all do is pop up the menu button but nothing happens with none of them...anyone can tell me if they got it working or am i doin something wrong..?
Old 04-26-2006, 07:25 PM   #42
johnj40
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g

Wirelessly posted (blackberry 8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

It works really well for me. I'm with tmo. I have the 8700g and have not noticed any problems yet. And I have been using it a lot. Sorry to hear so many people are having problems.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:27 PM   #43
ToY9CiTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnj40
Wirelessly posted (blackberry 8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

It works really well for me. I'm with tmo. I have the 8700g and have not noticed any problems yet. And I have been using it a lot. Sorry to hear so many people are having problems.
so you can use the shortcuts what do u do..hit the "Q" and then hit one of the number shortcuts..?
Old 04-26-2006, 07:34 PM   #44
johnj40
Thumbs Must Hurt

I just don't mess with the shortcuts. They are not that important to me. I'm not trying to sound like a snot or anything. I just accept the fact it does not respond like my bb browser and I'm fine with that. Like I said I've used it to death. Once you get used to its parameters it works really well. And its very quick.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:38 PM   #45
johnj40
Thumbs Must Hurt

I do use the space bar to page down. Just wanted to add that in.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:38 PM   #46
ToY9CiTO

Quote:

I just don't mess with the shortcuts. They are not that important to me. I'm not trying to sound like a snot or anything. I just accept the fact it does not respond like my bb browser and I'm fine with that. Like I said I've used it to death. Once you get used to its parameters it works really well. And its very quick.

I know as well that its in beta and works Lighting quick compared to the bb browser but since it is on beta we should talk about every that works and does not work...and it states that these shortcuts should work as they are even under the help section inside Opera i was just saying it might be something they need to address or maybe it was just me..considering i have the problem that the old version icon wont go away from my desktop even though i deleted it..It even still starts up after freezing for 4 minutes....
Old 04-26-2006, 07:45 PM   #47
johnj40
Thumbs Must Hurt

Red face

You are so right. I just tried the shortcuts. And like you, they do not work for me either. And your right that they should. I stand corrected.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:05 AM   #48
alakon
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700T
Carrier: T-mobile
Lightbulb Idea

In the best of all possible worlds, this is how the URL entry page would work:

default is www. (cursor starts to the right of .) - the user types a domain, and the space button creates a period (why would it ever create a space?!) - another idea: if the field is blank (like you just typed backspace once), a press of the space button enters "www." - getting you right to where you started

so say the user has typed in...

www.example.com

the next space would type a "/"

What if the user was typing a subdomain?
-First of all, the if the backspace is pressed once, the whole of "www." is deleted.
-Complex domains (like www.example.co.uk or www.example.k12.ny.us): the space button is works as a period until you type a recognized top level domain (.com, .net, .org, .us, ... etc, this is all defined - you can even throw in a few of the ones that are likely to pop up in the near future, like .xxx, for super forward compability)

So this is the experience of our test user through three scenerios:

He wants to go to "http://subdomain.example.com/fish.html"
-He types backspace once (the screen now just shows a blank field)
-He types: subdomain *space* example *space* com *space* fish.html (notice he types the actual period symbol before the "html" - because it's not obvious what he'd like to type - he could want a "/" a "." or even a space)

He wants to go to "http://www.google.com"
-he types: google *space* com

He wants to go to "http://www.example.co.uk/directory"
-he types: example *space* co *space* uk *space* directory

I do not know if this is at all possible to impliment. It would be a killer feature and a great improvement in productivity, though.

One other suggestion: in the "surf the web page," make it much easier for the user to get to the URL entry box. If the user presses any button from A-Z it should launch the URL entry page. Or better yet, the field should expand and the URL should be launched on the same screen.

I also suggest you consider if the button really needs to make a line break - can't that just be the submit button? Is it even possible to search Google with text strings that are broken up with line breaks? Perhaps can be the submit button, and if a user really needs a line break, they can press alt-enter?

If you actually take my suggestions I'll be overjoyed. Thanks for listening to your customers!
Old 04-27-2006, 04:14 AM   #49
BetongApe

Model: 7100V
Default Shortcuts

To use the shortcuts, simply press the number. Due to keyboard layouts on BlackBerries, you will probably need to click first to enter a number instead of a letter. Think of it as switching the '#' for when using Mini shortcuts on BlackBerry.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:33 AM   #50
jkevinwolfe

Model: 7105t
Default Rendering

The broswer looks great. Would you consider an option to turn off the top and bottom bars? They take up a lot of space on a 7105. I think it's almost been stated here before, but if Opera Mini mimicked all the commands of the BB Browser, it would be best. Also I've noticed that horizontal rules in html don't render correctly. Some only appear on the right half of the page.

Thanks for the solid work,

Kevin
Old 04-27-2006, 02:17 PM   #51
ZBB

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Wirelessly posted (blackberry 7290: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

You may need to add wap.voicestream.com in your APN. You can find that in advanced options. Then do a battery pull. It worked for me. I also have the 8700 with tmo. Good luck.

Hmmm... I'm on Cingular -- what's theirs? wap.cingular.com?

Will give it a shot...

Edit: I found the Cingular settings, and tried them, but no luck. Anyone else getting the no network failure?

Last edited by ZBB; 04-27-2006 at 04:12 PM..
Old 04-27-2006, 04:51 PM   #52
wingdo

Model: 8220
Carrier: T-Mo

Wow, this thing is fast. Going to play with it a bit before I post any suggestions / comments. But with the new beta of Opera 9 (the first time I have used Opera as my primary browser instead of FireFox) and now a version which actually works on my BB, I am in browser heaven.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:39 PM   #53
rjw3000
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Charm
Carrier: T-Mobile

if you hold the and then click the * key, it changes the top bar to show the webpage address I think. if you click * again, it removes the bars to give you full screen. This is on a 7290, so not sure if this works on a 7105

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkevinwolfe
The broswer looks great. Would you consider an option to turn off the top and bottom bars? They take up a lot of space on a 7105. I think it's almost been stated here before, but if Opera Mini mimicked all the commands of the BB Browser, it would be best. Also I've noticed that horizontal rules in html don't render correctly. Some only appear on the right half of the page.

Thanks for the solid work,

Kevin
Old 04-28-2006, 11:03 AM   #54
Obsidiank
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800

My biggest gripe is when you enter in an address and hit the scroll wheen, the default choice is "previous address".

That makes no sense since I just entered a address why would I want to go back to the previous one. I keep having to scroll down and hit select which is really annoying.

I love the small font feature though. Wish that was availbale on the regula browser

Last edited by Obsidiank; 04-28-2006 at 11:18 AM..
Old 04-28-2006, 12:46 PM   #55
mistermix
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130e
Carrier: Verizon

If you implement alakon's suggestions for URL entry, that would be great. I'd be happy if URL entry worked the same way as the stock BB browser on the 7130e. In other words, it should use suretype but it also "knows" that you're entering a URL and therefore allows entry of a period without hitting 0/space twice.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:15 AM   #56
Fireproof
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: Montblanc

It didn't recognize my 8700g. weird. I'll follow that "detect" link and fill out the info...
Old 04-29-2006, 09:39 AM   #57
Fireproof
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: Montblanc

Okay, so I went to mini.opera.com/detect to fill out the form and it wouldn't ever give me the ability to select SEND. Ugh. Very frustrating.

Also - I just do not find it as user-friendly as the BB browser. Too much clicking and scrolling.
- can't use a space for periods in web addresses
- default click after entering a new address is "previous" instead of okay. Wtf?
- can't use enter (return) as ok - must click, scroll, and click
- doesn't default to select/enter mode in fill-in fields - you must click to tell it
- can't enter data in fields while it's displayed on the webpage - it takes you to a blank page to fill in the text (after clicking to select, of course) and sometimes you lose context of what you were filling out because you can't see anything around it

Maybe I just need to learn Opera shortcuts or something, but for now, it's a bit painful. My $0.02.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:14 PM   #58
jkevinwolfe

Model: 7105t

rjw,

It's Shift *. Thanks.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:36 PM   #59
timshwak

Model: 8700C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB
Hmmm... I'm on Cingular -- what's theirs? wap.cingular.com?

Will give it a shot...

Edit: I found the Cingular settings, and tried them, but no luck. Anyone else getting the no network failure?
I am Cingular too with no luck?!?!

Anyone figure it out yet?
Old 04-30-2006, 10:40 PM   #60
TheRFGuy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: T-Mobile & AT&T

Just installed on my 8700g on TMO and works well. Went to a few sites and it does seems to be quicker than BB Internet Browser.
Closed Thread