Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 03:15 PM   #1
nfaze

Model: 8703E
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Alltel
Default 8703e dropped in toilet!

Please Login to Remove!

Last night I dropped my phone in the toilet at my girlfriend's house (as the toilet was flushing), but quickly grabbed it. It was still on, but locked. I tried to push the scrool wheel in to select "unlock", but it was non-responsive. I noticed a faint blue light in the status light indicator, which I've never seen before. It was in water for no more than 1.5 to 2 seconds. I took the battery out, dabbed the water I could see with a towel, and then put it in the oven on low for about 1 minute (in 2, 30 second intervals). I put the battery back in (not knowing I shouldn't have), and the screen lit up white, but the only button that made the backlight come back on was scrolling the wheel. No button "push" brought the backlight on at all. I brought it home and put it in a zip loc bag of dry rice over night, and today I took the housing off, and I have the main board sitting on top of my DirecTV box (warm air) and will leave it there for a couple of days. When I disassembled it today, there was no visible water except for one spot right under the black backing on the top of the battery compartment (raised black square). There doesn't seem to be any corrosion. I honestly don't think that much water got on it at all. Is there anything else I should do. I haven't tried rinsing it in alcohol; should I? Would it also be worthwhile to buy a new battery, as I'm pretty sure the battery got wet as well?

Last edited by nfaze; 08-10-2008 at 03:17 PM..
Old 08-10-2008, 03:18 PM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

It fell in the TOILET. Not even a clean toilet.
Cut your losses and throw it out.
Even if you got it working... do you really want to hold that thing up to your head?
Old 08-10-2008, 03:37 PM   #3
nfaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
It fell in the TOILET. Not even a clean toilet.
Cut your losses and throw it out.
Even if you got it working... do you really want to hold that thing up to your head?
It's not like there was anything IN the toilet if you get my drift. Number 1 (get it?) and it was halfway flushed when it fell in. I wouldn't mind holding it up to my head, especially since I disassembled it and cleaned up the case.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:46 PM   #4
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Wirelessly posted (Breaking Ball)

Oh, I see. So because your phone fell in your own urine, instead of feces, it's OK with you.
Brilliant.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:55 PM   #5
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Not the first time it's happened. If you can disassemble it (completely) and clean it with alcohol (with the lcd display removed) then you might be able to save it. I would then rinse the display with distilled water. Let it all dry (the display will need a few days) and then put it all back together. The major problem is you tried to use it while it was still wet. That's what kills them. A quick battery removal, as well as not trying to use it is key
Old 08-10-2008, 09:01 PM   #6
nfaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
Wirelessly posted (Breaking Ball)

Oh, I see. So because your phone fell in your own urine, instead of feces, it's OK with you.
Brilliant.
Either you're one of those people that washes their hands every 5 minutes afraid to touch anything dirty, or have enough money at your disposal to buy a new phone every time yours gets a scratch on it. Please don't post if you aren't trying to help me.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:03 PM   #7
nfaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Not the first time it's happened. If you can disassemble it (completely) and clean it with alcohol (with the lcd display removed) then you might be able to save it. I would then rinse the display with distilled water. Let it all dry (the display will need a few days) and then put it all back together. The major problem is you tried to use it while it was still wet. That's what kills them. A quick battery removal, as well as not trying to use it is key
Thanks for your response. I'll try cleaning the main board with alcohol and let it sit for a few days.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:31 AM   #8
karren_hutton
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: at&t

Our daughter dropped her Razor in the tub?? Another?? Lol. So I took it apart and put a fan on it for a few days... Kind of came back to life but was still a bit squirley...

If your on AT&T. They have the 8700c for $49 right now.. Which seems like a deal compared to the Curves and Pearls.. If ya can't get it working... Good luck!!
Old 08-12-2008, 03:02 PM   #9
octavito
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: Claro

my daughter drop my GB Advance on a sink and wash it with water and soap ans rinse out and I had it dry and it worked after a few days and been working for the past 3 years
Old 08-12-2008, 03:11 PM   #10
david9962000
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9360
Carrier: at&t

Time for a Curve! I wouldn't talk on it, too many bacteria in toilettes.
Closed Thread