Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 07:58 PM   #21
eddyjrsf

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default BB Curve as car mp3 Player

Please Login to Remove!

I used my Curve as my music source last night, worked great. I actually still have a cassette deck in my car and I have an adapter, can get for about $10 online, it's a cassette with a line attached and a 3.5 plug at the end, which you plug into whatever device you want, i.e., iPod, Curve, CD player etc. I'm not sure what your set-up is in car but that maybe an option
Old 11-22-2007, 01:51 PM   #22
dalejoe59

Default A cable to interface my blackberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNAVY View Post
Well my Creative Zen Vision: M mp3 player just died, with no hope for resurrection. I'm wondering if I can use my 8320 as my car mp3 player? I ordered a 4 gig micro sd card a few days ago. Is there a way to hook up my curve to the aux hookup on my car stereo? Is there a cable out there I can use? Or an adapter?

Thanks.
I also have the 8320 and I use it in my Ford Edge by just using a standard
1/8" male to male stereo cable. The Edge requires a 3.5mm(1/8") jack and the blackberry requires a 2.5mm jack but the 1/8" jack fits fine in the phone but if you would rather have a 2.5mm for your phone you can purchase an adapter.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:03 PM   #23
7100simpleisbetter
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8120
PIN: Cushion
Carrier: TMobile

All of the Curve's according to specs have a 3.5mm (1/8") jack. That is the standard headphone jack that is found with almost all headphones that work with iPods and/or other mp3 players.

I have a nasty old Pearl 8100 and am anxiously awaiting the US release of the Pearl 2 with 3.5mm jack but if you have an 83xx device are you able to use any set of headphones (i.e. iPod, Sony, Philips,etc) and listen to music in stereo?

If so and if you have a connection in your car to plug in an mp3 player, go to almost any store that has stereo cables like Radio Shack and ask for a 1/8" male to 1/8" male stereo cable and it should work like a charm.

Specs for 8320, 8310 and 8300 showing 3.5mm jack:

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Curve 8320 smartphone

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Curve 8310 smartphone

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Curve 8300 ® smartphone
Old 11-30-2007, 04:24 PM   #24
dalejoe59

I did find that the phone is actually a 3.5mm and so is my car and it says to use 3.5mm(1/8") stereo jack which work fine in my phone also.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:04 PM   #25
newbbuser76
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon - BIS
Default Bluetooth + Mp3 Player

I have my 8830 hooked up to my car stereo using a 2.5mm adapter to 3.5mm and then a 3.5mm to rca to hook into my stereo. It works great. The only problem is when i get a call i have to pickup the phone with the cords attached and all. For some reason even if i have my bluetooth on and connected properly it wont pickup and incoming call. Is there a setting so i can use both mp3 and bluetooth. Or does bluetooth not work as soon as the BB senses something in the headphone jack?
Old 12-30-2007, 05:52 PM   #26
Ephraim

Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbbuser76 View Post
I have my 8830 hooked up to my car stereo using a 2.5mm adapter to 3.5mm and then a 3.5mm to rca to hook into my stereo. It works great. The only problem is when i get a call i have to pickup the phone with the cords attached and all. For some reason even if i have my bluetooth on and connected properly it wont pickup and incoming call. Is there a setting so i can use both mp3 and bluetooth. Or does bluetooth not work as soon as the BB senses something in the headphone jack?

Why the 3.5 to RCA? Doesn't your stereo have aux 3.5 input? and is the 8830's 2.5?
Old 01-07-2008, 11:00 AM   #27
smahserj
No longer Registered.

Question 07 tundra + blackberry 8830 + aux in + bluetooth ???

Ok. Bare with me while I explain my set up, as it appears I am experiencing something simliar to newbbuser76. I have a 2007 Tundra with the stereo upgrade that includes bluetooth and a aux input to the radio. I have succesfully paired and used by blackberry 8830 to make and recieve calls. I have recently purchased the 4GB microSD card for the blackberry and want to use it via the aux port on the jbl system to listen to mp3. I have found that the phone will sync up fine to bluetooth and I can get it to play music via the aux port. When a incoming call comes in the system operates as it should, in that the phone pauses the music and the bluetooth kicks in. I can answer the phone via the steering wheel controls and can hear the caller fine, but the caller can barely hear me. For the record, I am using the Siedio adapter to convert my 2.5mm audiojack on my blackberry to 3.5mm for the aux input (the one without the inline mic).

Now for my problem. The caller complains that i sound very, very faint when the blackberry is plugged into the aux port, and says that the sound goes back to normal when i unplug the blackberry.

I am pretty sure it has something to do with the blackberry thinking there is a headset with mic plugged into it...but not sure...

Anyone experience anything like this?? Are there any settings I can change to make this work?
Old 01-14-2008, 11:02 AM   #28
trippcook

Model: 8130
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by smahserj View Post

Now for my problem. The caller complains that i sound very, very faint when the blackberry is plugged into the aux port, and says that the sound goes back to normal when i unplug the blackberry.

I am pretty sure it has something to do with the blackberry thinking there is a headset with mic plugged into it...but not sure...

Anyone experience anything like this?? Are there any settings I can change to make this work?
Any intelligence on this from users who have the BBerry in the car would be appreciated. I posted a similar problem in the 8130 forum --- I believe that's the case. When the BB is plugged in, it thinks there should be a headset mic. Is there a way to tell it to use Bluetooth mic over headset? Is there a way to disable the headphone jack for calls only? How do you guys who use these in your cars WITH an audio cable handle taking calls?
Old 01-14-2008, 03:08 PM   #29
slam

Carrier: sprint

tripp - glad to see I am not the only one with this problem. What adapter cable are you using to sync between your blackberry and your vehicle? What kind of vehicle do you drive?

I am using the siedio adapter (w/o mic) to convert the bb to the standard aux input on my tundra. I wonder if the seidio adapter with mic would solve the problem???
Old 01-14-2008, 03:20 PM   #30
trippcook

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by slam View Post
tripp - glad to see I am not the only one with this problem. What adapter cable are you using to sync between your blackberry and your vehicle? What kind of vehicle do you drive?

I am using the siedio adapter (w/o mic) to convert the bb to the standard aux input on my tundra. I wonder if the seidio adapter with mic would solve the problem???
I drive an old Jeep with a newer stereo --- I have this problem in my car and in my wife's car (with one of those cassette adapters). I wouldn't care, but when I answer the call, if I unplug the headphone to bring the phone to my ear mid-call, it flakes out and they can't hear me. I don't know if I unplug it BEFORE I answer if that will take care of the problem.

My cable is a generic one that came with the stereo in my car. Nothing special, and no mic on it.

I'm guessing there is no way to tell the BB in its settings to ignore that jack for phone calls. I can't find a setting to do that, so I guess it's not possible.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:44 PM   #31
dalejoe59

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippcook View Post
Any intelligence on this from users who have the BBerry in the car would be appreciated. I posted a similar problem in the 8130 forum --- I believe that's the case. When the BB is plugged in, it thinks there should be a headset mic. Is there a way to tell it to use Bluetooth mic over headset? Is there a way to disable the headphone jack for calls only? How do you guys who use these in your cars WITH an audio cable handle taking calls?
I have the 8320 bb and unfornately I haven't used bluetooth with my device but I have used it as an mp3 player with my Ford Edge and whenever I have had I call the phone stops the music and I usually put it on speakerphone and we have been able to hear each other just fine.
You could try using your phone without the bluetooth to at least rule out if it is related to that or not.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:30 PM   #32
trippcook

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalejoe59 View Post
I have the 8320 bb and unfornately I haven't used bluetooth with my device but I have used it as an mp3 player with my Ford Edge and whenever I have had I call the phone stops the music and I usually put it on speakerphone and we have been able to hear each other just fine.
You could try using your phone without the bluetooth to at least rule out if it is related to that or not.
I have tried without Bluetooth --- I tried just picking the phone up (non-speakerphone) and holding it to my head, unplugging the audio cable. That didn't work --- the BB got confused and people can't hear when I speak. I need, I think, to unplug BEFORE I answer the phone to use BT or the handset. I haven't tried speaker yet, as I"m trying to not blast our passengers with my conversation (either on the handset or on a headset).
Old 01-16-2008, 02:39 PM   #33
CurtC

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&T

I'd love to get this working also. I have an 8800, and a car with a 3.5 mm aux input. I also use my 8800 as my MP3 player, with the wired one-ear headset that came with the phone. I listen to talk podcasts, not music, so the one-ear capability is not a big deal. But I would love to be able to use a standard set of earbuds for music, or to plug it into my car's aux input.

I think RIM has really missed a big opportunity by making it so difficult to use the 8800s as MP3 players. It seems to me they've gone out of their way to hamper people who wanted to do this. To wit:
  • The 2.5 to 3.5 adapter issue. The ones they sell at Radio Shack don't work. I've read here that something made by Seidio will work, but I have been a little reluctant to order something over the Internet that I'm not sure will work. I've also checked all the other electronics stores around Dallas, as well as the AT&T and Verizon stores, whose sales people react like I'm asking for something unreasonable.
  • The built-in media player has major software issues. It's somewhat inetermittent, but if the phone rings, or any other event happens that causes the 8800 to play a ring tone, it forgets where in the MP3 file it last was and resumes at the beginning of the MP3 file. If I'm in the middle of a 90-minute podcast, this becomes a very major irritant.
  • The media player won't let you adjust the position with any kind of fine resolution. If I'm listening to a 90-minute podcast, and I get distracted and need to back up to hear what was said 15 seconds ago, my only option is to back up by the next increment, which is five or six minutes. So to hear what was said 15 seconds ago, I have to re-listen to five or six minutes' worth of the program.
  • If I remove the media card to load more material on it, but don't close the media player, then when it tries to resume playing the file I was in the middle of, it locks up the 8800, requiring a reboot. Good thing I learned how to do the Alt-Cap-Del, because removing the battery while driving is a pain. Here I guess I was spoiled by my old Palm and the PocketTunes player, which would re-open the file and index into it.
  • If the phone rings while an MP3 is playing, sometimes I can't stop the playback of the MP3 to talk on the phone. I'll continue hearing the MP3 played as well as the phone call, which is distracting, but fortunately the caller can't hear it. I exit the phone app, get into the media player and try to pause it, but the media player will be unresponsive to the buttons while a call is going on, so my only option is to hang up the call and call them back when I stop the playback.
  • There is a conflict between the media player playback, going over the wired headset, and any bluetooth connections. I have a hands-free bluetooth in my car, but if I'm listening to MP3's with the wired headset, it won't switch to the bluetooth for the phone call.

The RIM company could have made it so much easier by fixing these problems. I already have the device, and if it would work properly, we could use it as both an MP3 player and a phone/PIM. I'm doing that now, but I'm willing to put up with more than most users are.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:46 PM   #34
bdubyak

Model: 8800
Default Help with Ford Auxilary Input

I just bought a Ford Escape with an Auxillary Input and I have a BB 8800. I bought the appropriate cable but cannot get audio on the radio.
I have followed all of the steps.
I can hear my trackball movement on the speakers but no audio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinman View Post
depending on your car/stereo....If you have a 07+ Ford, Lincoln, Mercury...you can get a two way 3.5mm audio jack and plug it directly in....it not then you can go out and get a FM Modulator that plugs in your 3.5mm jack on the phone and then broadcasts over FM to which ever unused station you choose on the car radio. One of the best as far as reception goes that is generic(not for iPod) is the Tunecast
or the TuneCast II
There are many FM Transmitters/Modulators out there....goodluck with what you choose!
Old 02-14-2008, 08:47 PM   #35
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

My wife uses her Pearl with a Seidio adapter to play music in the car....
Old 02-15-2008, 10:09 AM   #36
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbbuser76 View Post
Also:
What about stereo output? I have read that it needs to have 3 lines on the jack? I thought 2 were for stereo, is the 3rd for the mic? Anyone clear this up?
3 for stereo: left, right, and ground. With only two it's just mono.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:55 AM   #37
starsrblind
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 24269de2

I went through an ipod and zen vision M that died. I had cables still hooked up in my car for them that I got from crutchfield. Works great with my Curve, VERY loud and clear. I think the Curves have great music players (except for the whole no-playlist thing).
Old 02-16-2008, 02:26 AM   #38
djak
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9300
Carrier: Bell

yeah i've been using my 8130 with my car stereo for a couple months now, just using the 3.5mm cable. It works great, never had any problems with it.
Closed Thread