Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 01:58 PM   #21
balooberry
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: o2

Please Login to Remove!

Oh my days!!!! Calm down everyone, the reason i posted on this forum was because of everyone being friendly etc, and i wanted a honest answer.

Forget themes,

If i was to create a site, it would be to help new Blackberry customers out, i know alot of people that do not use their blackberry for work purposes, infact alot of college students have posted on blackberry forums, this is where i got my idea from... helping students and the new people that get blackberrys get software and themes and what not free. instead of looking at 10 other blackberry websites.

As far as copyrighting came into it, i would only put up free software, and i would email the author for their permission and would give them as much credit as they deserve.

Also if i was to go ahead and do this, i would post for help from people who have websites at the moment.

I would also allow Blackberry owners to request what they want on the site, like if they found a cool free software i would contact the author and ask if i can put it on my site.

Its all about helping people get what they want from one place!!!

Thanks for all the support to everyone, I will have to ponder on with the idea.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:07 PM   #22
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by balooberry View Post
If i was to create a site, it would be to help new Blackberry customers out, i know alot of people that do not use their blackberry for work purposes, infact alot of college students have posted on blackberry forums, this is where i got my idea from... helping students and the new people that get blackberrys get software and themes and what not free. instead of looking at 10 other blackberry websites.

oh, sounds a lot like, hmmm, blackberryforums.com and blackberryfaq.com

but still go for it, everyone has something a little different.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:52 PM   #23
tommyboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Storm View Post
I think the reaction was appropriate. The OP specifically said that this site would offer direct download links, which is a violation of copyright.
While suing would not be the best course (it would be a DMCA violation filing) the sentiment is appropriate. The OP has no right to distribute it without permission.
It's funny how you try to come across as holier than thou yet you infringed in copyrights and were most likely served with a cease and desist order to stop selling your themes. Furthermore you have no right to say anything in regards to what the OP wants to do since he's not even taking money... you did! How many people are now out in the cold because they had to wipe their device and reload the OS and you won't even cough up the .cod/.alx files or offer a partial refund.

That said I am confident that the OP would want theme authors, developers, etc... have their product promoted on said site. I personally think it's a great idea to have one resource where the best of the best are located and people aren't going from site to site. If everyone who deserves credit is credited then there is no harm.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:30 PM   #24
Perfect Storm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy View Post
It's funny how you try to come across as holier than thou yet you infringed in copyrights and were most likely served with a cease and desist order to stop selling your themes. Furthermore you have no right to say anything in regards to what the OP wants to do since he's not even taking money... you did! How many people are now out in the cold because they had to wipe their device and reload the OS and you won't even cough up the .cod/.alx files or offer a partial refund.
I made my own work. If you think you know what you're talking about, you might want to check your facts.

Might also want to keep the personal issues addressed to me rather than just bringing them up in a thread because you disagree on an unrelated issue.

I see a lock coming

Last edited by Perfect Storm; 01-28-2008 at 06:32 PM..
Old 01-28-2008, 06:52 PM   #25
MrKyoo
BlackBerry Master

Model: 4s
PIN: 79B32491

This thread is so entertaining.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:59 PM   #26
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Whoa there mister mister, is that popcorn copyrighted? From a free link or a direct link?
Old 01-28-2008, 07:01 PM   #27
John Clark
BBF Moderator

PIN: s & needles

You'll need this:

Old 01-28-2008, 08:36 PM   #28
balooberry
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: N/A
Carrier: o2

hehe lol at jsanders comment!!!!!! lol
Old 01-28-2008, 08:56 PM   #29
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I happen to agree with Red on this one. I think the both of you jumped to immediate conclusions. I wont get into a pissing contest about it with either one of you over it, I am just stating what I see going on. I think neither site wants competition.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:13 PM   #30
Jwilliams1008
No longer Registered.

PIN: 243b2864

Wow... someone asks for an opinion and before he's even done anything wrong and people threaten to sue. Will a helpful member tell me what website slmoney (how appropriate a name because he seems to care a great deal about money) runs? That way I know what site to avoid and encourage my friends to do the same.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:39 PM   #31
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwilliams1008 View Post
Wow... someone asks for an opinion and before he's even done anything wrong and people threaten to sue. Will a helpful member tell me what website slmoney (how appropriate a name because he seems to care a great deal about money) runs? That way I know what site to avoid and encourage my friends to do the same.
I commend you. That was an awesome first post. Welcome.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:15 PM   #32
nimocone
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

I knew from the get-go what you were trying to do. Make it like this site: PocketPCFreeware or this site: FreewarePPC.com - Freeware Pocket PC / Freeware Windows Mobile: the one and only site for downloading freeware files for Pocket PC / Windows Mobile handhelds. Well, actually make it prettier, but I think this is where you were headed.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:32 PM   #33
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Nothing like this...
3rd Party Application List - BlackBerryFAQ.com
Old 01-29-2008, 01:09 AM   #34
slmoney
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: TMobile

Quote:
LOL..too funny.

I care about the integrity of my website..and the people who post their free themes there.

By the way...its Themes4BB.com

If you want to see what I am talking about, visit sites like blackberryfreaks.com, paste.ws or freebbthemes.com They have all leached themes from various site (including mine) and reposted the Zip files of the themes, without giving credit to the author of the theme. The person that runs freebbthemes.com at least links to the themes on my site rather than just host the zip file.

As far is this person opening another site like that...he can do whatever he pleases..he just needs to know that there will be website owners and theme makers not happy with what he is doing...and they will ask him to remove the themes (not like it would ever happen...lord knows how many emails blackberryfreaks received).

I know he did not do "anything wrong"..and was asking for an opinion..well Peter and I gave him our opinion...at least he took the time to ask an opinion before registering a domain, setting up some server..and firing away.

Steve
Themes4BB.com
Old 01-29-2008, 07:43 AM   #35
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: iPhon
PIN: High

Quote:
I think you need to go visit that site before you blow it off. And read more closely why he doesn't like freeloaders. I've been to the site and have a few very nice themes that I run on my 8830. It's a great site with a lot of folks putting time into making great looking themes. As a matter of fact, I downloaded one yesterday (NYC cab theme). It was free and it's well done. I've got the site bookmarked now and will visit it often. (And to be sure, I have absolutely no association whatsoever with the site.)
Old 01-29-2008, 10:54 AM   #36
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mriff View Post
I think you need to go visit that site before you blow it off. And read more closely why he doesn't like freeloaders. I've been to the site and have a few very nice themes that I run on my 8830. It's a great site with a lot of folks putting time into making great looking themes. As a matter of fact, I downloaded one yesterday (NYC cab theme). It was free and it's well done. I've got the site bookmarked now and will visit it often. (And to be sure, I have absolutely no association whatsoever with the site.)
Riff I dont think hes saying the site is bad Hes saying he wont give his patronage becuase of the attitude of the owner. I for one agree I used to visit his site but I will not return after this thread.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:16 AM   #37
Jwilliams1008
No longer Registered.

PIN: 243b2864

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
I commend you. That was an awesome first post. Welcome.
Thanks I've lurked for a little while now and because I'm a new blackberry user I'm not knowledgeable enough to help in the forums but I know enough to search the threads before I have a question. This thread just moved me to respond.

Btw, all in all the majority of people here seem very helpful and polite. I will try to participate more and ask questions when I have them and give answers when I learn them.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:18 AM   #38
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: iPhon
PIN: High

Yeah I hear you Dawg. But I do see his side of it. If I owned a site like that and saw it get ripped off every day, I guess I'd have that attitude too.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:22 AM   #39
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Jwilliams... welcome to the BB Forums. On the whole everyone is quite friendly around here... you will find some like me who do express an opinion more vehemently than others. We just ask no personal attacks, and that is fine line only a very few people can't discern.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:40 AM   #40
tommyboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Storm View Post
I made my own work. If you think you know what you're talking about, you might want to check your facts.

Might also want to keep the personal issues addressed to me rather than just bringing them up in a thread because you disagree on an unrelated issue.

I see a lock coming

I'm sure you made the themes but you obviously used an unreleased SDK or something that RIM didn't like and felt that you may have infringed on or stole from them and that's why you were hit with a cease and desist order by RIM.

It's not that I don't disagree on an unrelated issue... I support the OP's idea and can see what his vision for what his site would offer. You were the one who disagreed with the OP and said that it would be copyright infringement which made me laugh because you did something along the the same line with your site then had to pull your themes because of the cease and desist order.
Closed Thread