Old 07-24-2006, 11:15 AM   #1
paulbblc
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: ip 3g
PIN: 8675309
Carrier: AT&T
Default Gmail your ringtones to yourself

Please Login to Remove!

If you don't have hosting abilities or want to fill out the info for free hosting (freewebs.com) there is a way to still get ring tones to your phone via email if you have a gmail account.

All you have to do is email the ringtone to yourself (less than 500kb) on your PC to your gmail account then log into gmail on your BB. Switch it to HTML mode if it's not allready and open the email you sent to yourself, it will be in your inbox.

At the bottom of the email, next to the attachment you'll see an option to scan and download, click that and let it load, then save the tune to your BB. You can then go into your profile section and set the tune to your ringtone.

Not sure if this has allready been discovered, did a search but didn't find anything. Hope this helps some people out.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:30 PM   #2
infernox
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

Cool. Thanks for the tips!
Old 07-24-2006, 04:30 PM   #3
celltester
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Alltel

nice find!
Old 07-25-2006, 01:25 AM   #4
micohoe
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Curve
Carrier: ATT

hm i just tried to do this and when i accessed gmail on my bb, i didn't see a "scan and DL" option....any ideas?
Old 07-25-2006, 01:58 AM   #5
paulbblc
Retired BBF Moderator

at the very bottom of your inbox be sure to switch it to 'basic html' view instead of mobile.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:04 AM   #6
micohoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbblc
at the very bottom of your inbox be sure to switch it to 'basic html' view instead of mobile.
hm, well i switched it on my computer. but i don't see that on my browser on my bb. even after i switched it to basic html on my computer, i still didn't see that on the bb browser.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:10 AM   #7
paulbblc
Retired BBF Moderator

on your bb go to your gmail inbox. the 2nd line from the bottom of the screen has the options 'basic html' and 'mobile' If mobile is bold click on basic html. Then go to your message and you'll see where it says 'scan and download' next to your attachment.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:18 AM   #8
micohoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbblc
on your bb go to your gmail inbox. the 2nd line from the bottom of the screen has the options 'basic html' and 'mobile' If mobile is bold click on basic html. Then go to your message and you'll see where it says 'scan and download' next to your attachment.
hm, i still am not seeing that. all i see at the bottom of my inbox is: compose mail, inbox, trash, contacts, more views, and serach mail. at the very bottom is sign out and help.

hm, could it possibly be because of my bb model(7130e)? do certain bb browsers have different capabilities?

---edit---

i was just playing with my browser options and put the "emulation mode" from "blackberry" to "microsoft ie" and that did teh trick. which emulation mode should i use?

Last edited by micohoe; 07-25-2006 at 02:24 AM..
Old 07-25-2006, 02:25 AM   #9
paulbblc
Retired BBF Moderator

not sure. on my browser (using internet browser, not cingular browser) the two options are right underneath where it says 'sign out | help'

not sure why that would be different on at 7130.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:06 PM   #10
tosa68

Model: 7130c
Carrier: Cingular

I had the same problem - I only saw the "mobile" mode of gmail on my 7130c. I didn't see where I could change or select anything else like "basic HTML". So, after the internet browser was launched (not the cingular browser as mentioned already), then go to options, select browser configuration and change emulation mode from blackberry to internet explorer.

Now, go to gmail. It should load up as if you're on the regular internet (i.e. basic HTML) instead of in mobile mode. Now scroll way down to your messages, select the appropriate message & scroll down again to where you see the attachment. Now you should see "scan and download". It loads into the BB audio player & you can now save away.

BTW, I'm on BES & I can also get to gmail html no matter how my blackberry browser is configured. So, I don't completely understand the differences between the BB browser on BES vs. the cingular browser (aka MediaNet) vs. the internet browser, but the above definitely worked for me.

Good Luck!

tosa
Old 10-22-2006, 02:48 PM   #11
robert7290

Model: 7290

hey i just got a 7290 blackberry. I got a hell of a deal. what all files can i attach and make them my ringtone? with wav work?
Old 10-23-2006, 11:37 AM   #12
paulbblc
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosa68
So, after the internet browser was launched (not the cingular browser as mentioned already), then go to options, select browser configuration and change emulation mode from blackberry to internet explorer.
Hey thanks for the info. I actually forgot about this thread. I as well have my browser set to 'internet explorer' emulation mode.

Thanks again!
Old 10-24-2006, 08:36 AM   #13
Donnation

Model: 8300

Works like a charm, thanks so much!
Old 10-24-2006, 09:22 AM   #14
Cyclops
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: Rogers

Can someone PM me an invitation code for Gmail,

Thanks
Old 10-24-2006, 10:05 AM   #15
getthething
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl
Carrier: Tmobile

use this link from your BB to take you straight to the HTML view of gmail.

www.gmail.google.com/gmail/h/
Old 10-24-2006, 10:52 AM   #16
KendallParis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8350i
Carrier: Boost

Is anyone else having problems with how the name of the song is written after the download? It's not the actual title, but pretty much jibberish for me and it makes the file useless.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:52 AM   #17
paulbblc
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KendallParis
Is anyone else having problems with how the name of the song is written after the download? It's not the actual title, but pretty much jibberish for me and it makes the file useless.
This is the only problem I've encountered in downloading them this way however for me it's far from useless. You're trying to use the file as a ringtone right? Well just listen to the first second or two and you'll figure it out. Again you're listening to it, not reading it.

Last edited by paulbblc; 10-24-2006 at 11:57 AM..
Old 10-24-2006, 12:11 PM   #18
KendallParis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8350i
Carrier: Boost

Actually, no, I'm not trying to use it as a ringtone, but as notification for other things. You are correct in saying that all I have to do is listen to a few notes, but if I have 10 or 15 or even more tunes listed as jibberish, then I'd have to go through all of them to find the one I want, so at some point I am reading it.

I'm not hating on your technique, I'm hating on whatever GMail/BlackBerry does to it once it has been downloaded.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:18 PM   #19
paulbblc
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KendallParis
but if I have 10 or 15 or even more tunes listed as jibberish, then I'd have to go through all of them to find the one I want, so at some point I am reading it.
No worries at all. I meant no offense. I guess personally I have 5 tones that I've done this way so litening to them isn't a big deal at all. However 10-15 I can see where that would be a giant pain.

I'm not sure if there is a way that before you save it to your phone that you could change the name. I will experiment with that a bit tonight when I get home.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:41 PM   #20
tosa68

Model: 7130c

Quote:
Originally Posted by getthething
use this link from your BB to take you straight to the HTML view of gmail.

www dot gmail dot google dotcom/gmail/h/
Ah, even better than the emulation mode change! Thanks!!

(Sorry about messing up the link in the quote, but I can't post urls - yet)
Closed Thread