Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 07:31 PM   #1
sabrewulf
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Angry Roxio Media Manager

Please Login to Remove!

I'm installing Desktop Manager 4.2.2 SP2 and when I get to the part where it installs the Roxio Media Manager.. I get an error that says:

Error 1303. The installer has insufficient privileges to access this directory: C:\Program File\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\Common Resources. The installation cannot continue. Log on as an administrator or contact your system admonistrator.

I am the administrator. I'm logged in as the only user for the computer. This is frustrating! I've tried to manually go into the folder's settings and edit the permissions but it doesn't even allow me to do that. It says access denied. I've tried taking ownership of the folder, but keeps telling me acces is denied. ARRGH! WTF!?

I'm running Vista Premium Home by the way.

Help :(

Last edited by sabrewulf; 06-19-2007 at 07:50 PM..
Old 06-19-2007, 08:47 PM   #2
Perfect Storm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Rogers

Try setting the install program to run as admin. I think you right click the exe to do it. I can't remember exactly, when I had vista a similar issue with photoshop was solved by this.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:31 AM   #3
sabrewulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Storm View Post
Try setting the install program to run as admin. I think you right click the exe to do it. I can't remember exactly, when I had vista a similar issue with photoshop was solved by this.
That did it! Thank you so much. I was beating my brain last night on this.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:59 PM   #4
mjelley

Model: 8700c
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular

I just installed the 4.2.2 version of DM as well just yesterday and right away noticed I did not get a Media Manager icon when the program starts up. I running Windows XP, I have right clicked on the exe file to accomplish what you were told to do (nothing), I ran the Installer fix from MS Knowlegebase, I re-extracted the DM file (again) and I still don't have the Media Manager. This has been frustrating. I completely agree with you. But unlike you, I still don't have a fix. I just want to put my granddiva's picture into my pictures file and its not happening. Any help from anybody would be wildly appreciated.
Marianne
Old 07-10-2007, 05:26 AM   #5
Lowrider

Model: 8100
Carrier: CBW

U don't need or want that junk. Use mass storage. Roxio is unstable and a resouce hog, and has way too many processes running. JUNK!
Come on RIM, give us something that works, thats what we want. What good are bells and whistles, if they DON'T WORK?
Old 07-10-2007, 07:05 PM   #6
mjelley

Default Use Mass Storage

" Use mass storage. "

Low - thanks for your insight. You are right. If its unstable and the bells and whistle don't work, why bother. I guess because while I love my 8700c, I have given up a camera (albeit a lousy one) and voice dialing on my Motorola to go to this and it took me less time to read all the forums on this site than to download install and tweak the DM. I understand I should be on DM 4.2.1. I don't know - maybe there will be another update but I won't hold my breath - and I don't sync either constantly. Back up regularly, but thats it. I just want to be able to transfer some pics from the 'puter to my BB. So talk to me more about using "mass storage". I have a WinXP computer with a portable 10GB hard drive I could use to back up the data I guess and I do have Nero for software. What do you think?
Old 07-11-2007, 05:21 AM   #7
Lowrider

OK, u still use desktop manager for everything else. When u plug ur BB into ur puter, there should be a window that pops up. Select "View Folder" or "Explore Folder", after u select it, u can drag and drop pics, music or ring tones.
Hope this helps!
Old 07-11-2007, 04:20 PM   #8
mjelley

Default DM vs. Mass Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
OK, u still use desktop manager for everything else. When u plug ur BB into ur puter, there should be a window that pops up. Select "View Folder" or "Explore Folder", after u select it, u can drag and drop pics, music or ring tones.
Hope this helps!
Every time I talk to anyone on this forum, it always helps. I still sound like an idiot, but I am learning a little more everyday.

Re: your quote above -
When you ask if I get a "view folder" or "explore folder" option when I plug in my 8700, do you mean in Desktop Manager? - because I don't get either. Or do you mean when I don't start DM at all just point to my portable mass storage drive?

I've been advised to go to 4.2.1 version of DM and frankly it was such a drag the last 4 times I downloaded this software (ver.4.2.2) that I dread doing it again. I don't need the switch devices wizard or sychronize even. I don't want my BB to become an iPOD for music. I just want to get some other pictures into the BB, maybe some ringtones and just enjoy. I also don't want to opt in to another $30 charge from Cingular for a data plan/email/mms ! At least not till I get the kinks out of this mess !

You're very nice to work with me. Thank you. I'm still loving my BB just not the DM software. Are there other Media Manager software packages out there? Maybe thats my problem.
Marianne
Old 07-12-2007, 02:07 PM   #9
a_kayaker
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Default No mass storage here for my 8700C

I also do not receive a window when I plug in my 8700. I cannoit browse to it either.

I am running OS4.2.

What is the process here?

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 07-13-2007, 04:32 PM   #10
peddler2000

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon
Angry Roxio Media Manager

I get a Run Time C++ error when trying to launch the RMM for the desktop. Any ideas?
Old 07-14-2007, 04:42 AM   #11
Lowrider

Roxio SUCKS, SUCKS, I've seen 3 post this morning *****ing about roxisuck, come on RIM, give us something that WORKS, u suck too!
Old 08-01-2007, 02:29 PM   #12
EricScott
Thumbs Must Hurt

Anyone know how to uninstall Roxio if you made the mistake (like I did) of installing DM 4.2 SP2?

It's not in add/remove programs in the CP (I have XP SP2) and there is no uninstall icon.

Tried uninstalling DM 4.2 SP2 and that still left Roxio on my machine.

Any ideas? Would love to get rid of it.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:42 AM   #13
Lowrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjelley View Post
Every time I talk to anyone on this forum, it always helps. I still sound like an idiot, but I am learning a little more everyday.

Re: your quote above -
When you ask if I get a "view folder" or "explore folder" option when I plug in my 8700, do you mean in Desktop Manager? - because I don't get either. Or do you mean when I don't start DM at all just point to my portable mass storage drive?

I've been advised to go to 4.2.1 version of DM and frankly it was such a drag the last 4 times I downloaded this software (ver.4.2.2) that I dread doing it again. I don't need the switch devices wizard or sychronize even. I don't want my BB to become an iPOD for music. I just want to get some other pictures into the BB, maybe some ringtones and just enjoy. I also don't want to opt in to another $30 charge from Cingular for a data plan/email/mms ! At least not till I get the kinks out of this mess !

You're very nice to work with me. Thank you. I'm still loving my BB just not the DM software. Are there other Media Manager software packages out there? Maybe thats my problem.
Marianne
I guess, I assumed you have a memory card. If you do, did you format it?
Format and "enable", you should get a folder to pop up when you plug in DM. Then just drag n drop.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:52 PM   #14
Visioninc
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: 23EE1152
Carrier: T-Mobile

Where do I download "desktop manager", help me out!

-Vision
Old 09-03-2007, 10:15 PM   #15
teamfoster03

Model: 8703

I just installed 4.2 for my 8700c and when i go to run media manager I get Run Time C++ error.

Has anyone found a fix for this?

Thanks
Adam
Old 09-03-2007, 10:17 PM   #16
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Are you using the latest Desktop Manager?

BlackBerry - BlackBerry - Sys Req V4-2 Pack 2

If so, I suggest reinstalling it.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:49 PM   #17
teamfoster03

Model: 8703

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Yes I just installed 4.2. - then uninstalled when I had problems. Then re installed again when it still didn't work. I also installed in on a 2nd computer and had the same problem :(

Last edited by teamfoster03; 09-04-2007 at 03:51 PM..
Old 01-24-2008, 12:32 PM   #18
Kuriakos

Default 1: The InstallScript engine is missing...

Everytime I attempt to install the Roxio Media Manager as part of my Desktop Manager 4.3 upgrade, I receive the following error: "1: The InstallScript engine is missing from this machine...." I took a look at the Setup.exe properties and see that the version is 3.50.45.0. The version of the ISScript.msi I have installed is at least up to 11.5. Does anyone have a solution to this issue?
Old 02-09-2008, 11:56 PM   #19
arkmanalso

Default DM 4.2.2 Frustration

I have installed installed DM 4.22 and uninstalled so many time It getting to me I am running Vista Home prenimu, BB 8700c AT&T. I Have tried many way to install but no luck.
1. installed as downloaded no media manager (error 1316) unable to find certificate file error 1706 avalid source could not be found.
2. Installed as admin same results different errors (2)
3. installed as admim and XP sp2 Compatability differenterrors internal error 2356 Roxio Media Manager.ms
Runtime error c:\programfiles\roxio\mediamanager9\mediamanager9. exe.
R6025 pure virtual function call
ll help will be welcom
Old 02-10-2008, 02:02 AM   #20
Episteme

Model: 8130
Carrier: Bell

Roxio...

<sigh>

What a horible torture to bestow on anyone!

I've had to spend the entire day removing that hellish creation after it completely took my computer hostage with some sort of damned install loup that continued to fail and restart every 5 seconds.

I had to use roxizap and "Windows Install Cleanup" utilities in safe mode to get anywhere... needless to say, the learning curve was steap and painful.

I will NOT be installing that thing EVER again. I'd rather NOT sync with my computer at all than have to go through THAT again!

I would very much like to meet the suit who decided to bundle that pos!
Closed Thread