Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 10:25 AM   #21
arkmanalso

Model: 8700c
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default media manager 4.2sp2 and or 4.3

Please Login to Remove!

I have tried both versions so many times, that I have lost count, still no media manager that works. errors are different with each uninstall and reinstall .
1. this is ab invalid installation. Please re install
2. Cannot find certificate file
3. Run time error
I have tried running as administrator,with all permissions to all users both in and out of compatibility mode, and running the download file both versions, still no media manager that works. Any suggestions?
Vista home prenimum
8700c ver 4.2 AT&T

Last edited by arkmanalso; 02-14-2008 at 10:26 AM..
Old 02-15-2008, 01:50 PM   #22
TheKidInside
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Storm View Post
Try setting the install program to run as admin. I think you right click the exe to do it. I can't remember exactly, when I had vista a similar issue with photoshop was solved by this.
how does this work again? thx
Old 02-15-2008, 01:56 PM   #23
serpico007
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Telus

Is there any other way to get images and ringtones on a 8700 without OTA or Roxio?

Update: I installed Desktop 4.3 after some suggestions of uninstalling 4.2 and the profile files to avoid any issues with 4.3. Everything is working great with my 8700 including Roxio. Thanks for everyone's input.

Last edited by serpico007; 02-24-2008 at 01:27 PM..
Old 02-24-2008, 04:30 PM   #24
dpm_forum

Model: 8310
Thumbs up Some DM MM Solutions?

I had this problem with DM 4.2 and 4.3 on my XP SP2. I was able to resolve it after a lot of frustration. The resolution was to remove all remnants of MM from my system and reinstall. I tried several times until I had all remnants removed.

This required some tweaks in my case. My MM is running finally. The main tweak was to look for Sonic Solutions as well as Sonic and perform the same removal steps as outlined below. You should check that your system does not have these, also. Mine were left by a prior Roxio install unrelated to my BB.

Why a certificate error is generated when remnants are on your system before installing DM is not clear to me. In trying to resolve this problem I went fairly deep into this. I never found that answer.

I have included the notes I used below.

Issue How to perform a clean install for Easy Media Creator versions 7.5, 8, 9 and 10.
Resolution The following steps will completely remove any Roxio and Sonic software from your computer.

Remove any Roxio and Sonic programs from Add or Remove Programs or use the Windows Installer Clean Up Utility if you receive a certificate file error while trying to remove the Roxio program. (Directions below) Follow the instructions below to use the Microsoft Cleanup Utility to remove software

Download the Microsoft Windows Installer Clean Up Utility to your desktop and install to remove Roxio and Sonic software
Click here to go to the download page.
Scroll down to and click on Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility package now.
Click on Save and choose to save it on your Desktop.
On your Desktop, double-click on msicuu2.exe file and follow the on-screen instructions to install
Click on Start -> All programs -> Windows Install Clean up
Select Roxio Easy Media Creator, DirectXServiceInstall, and any entry started with Roxio or Sonic.
Click on Remove.

Once that is completed please disable your startup applications using MSCONFIG. This will disable any unnecessary background or system tray applications from loading.
Click on Start -> select Run -> Type "msconfig" then click OK.
Select the Startup tab.
Click the Disable All button.
Click the Apply button, then click the OK button.
Click the Restart button.

To reverse this just go back in and click enable all and restart (that can be done once installation is complete)

For the step below you will need to show hidden files. This can be done by clicking on my computer then go up and click on Tools -> Folder Options -> View tab. Make sure show hidden folders is selected and click Apply.

Delete these folders from your hard drive.

NOTE: When trying this step you may receive a message that a "file is in use". Simply drag that file to your desktop and it can be removed after restarting the computer. Also note that "Username" referred to below is the name you use when logging into Windows XP.

C:\Program Files\Roxio
C:\Program Files\Sonic
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic Shared
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Roxio
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sonic
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Roxio
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Sonic
C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Local Settings\Application Data\Roxio

Empty the recycle bin once the steps above are completed.

Go into your browser and clear out the cookies and browsing history. This is usually found in the Tools --> Options window under the General or Security tab.

Remove these keys from the registry:

WARNING: THE NEXT STEP INVOLVES EDITING YOUR SYSTEM REGISTRY. WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU EXPORT YOUR REGISTRY BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY EDITING. EDITING YOUR REGISTRY INCORRECTLY CAN CAUSE IRREPARABLE SYSTEM DAMAGE.

To export a copy of your registry, please do the following
Go to Start --> Run, type "regedit" and click OK.
Locate and left click File in the upper left hand corner of the Registry editor.
Click Export (Export range "All" should be selected).
Choose a location on your hard drive and give the file a name.
Click Save. Your registry should now be backed up in a .reg file to the location you specified

Registry Edit instructions:

Click on Start -> select Run. Type "regedit" then click OK
Double-click the HKEY_CURRENT_USER folder this will expand or open the folder.
Locate the Software folder.
Locate the Roxio folder.
Right click on Roxio and click delete.
Do the same for the Sonic folder.
Close the HKEY_CURRENT_USER folder.

Do the same for the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder.

Double-click the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder this will expand or open the folder.
Locate the Software folder
Locate the Roxio folder
Right click on Roxio and click delete.
Do the same for the Sonic folder.
Close the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder.

Restart the computer then reinstall Easy Media Creator.

Related Articles

Clean Install Instructions for Creator 9 on Windows Vista
Applications fail to launch after running registry cleaner

Some other comments from my experience with BB DM.

I found that there were several other ways to get Media on to my BB. I prefer some of these to MM depending on what I am doing.

You can use Blue tooth and pair your BB with your PC. OK for a couple of quick songs if you don't want to get out the USB cable and go through the whole shtick. After sending the file to the BB you need to use the BB Media Icon and the Explore Function from its menu to put the file in place in your library.

You can turn on Mass Storage mode on your BB and use the USB cable to make the BB Media card a remote drive to Windows Explorer. Works fine but you need to do all the naming and copying etc.

Windows Media Player sees the BB fine when the USB cable is connected. You can RIP to the PC and SYNCH to the BB fine. This is what I do most of the time. I don't prefer the DM MM overall.

You may want to use the DM MM features to do auto-resizing of pictures and videos. I has a lot of other formatting and sharing features. My main use in songs.

If you still have problems make sure your PC registry and file system are in good shape before reinstall. I use several programs for this. You may want to Google Norton Systemworks, RegCure, Advanced Uninstaller Pro, CCleaner, or just "Registry Repair". CCleaner is free. I am agnostic about which one to use.

Hope this helps. I was ready to flame Roxio at one point. I still would like to know what the certificate error referred to exactly. I guess that is the nerd peeking out.

PS: My experience was with XP I did not try this on Vista. I suspect the issues are the same but the registry editing may be very different.

One thing I have heard that makes Vista different is that DM 4.3 and Office 2007 Synching is buggy.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:11 PM   #25
arkmanalso

Micosoft Vista Home
I used windows uninstaller to remove 4.3 and windows installer clean up utility to remove roxio and sonic files ran 4.3 as administrator and got a good clean install of all features including MM. Thanks for the info
Old 02-25-2008, 12:32 PM   #26
dpm_forum

Great. Glad you got the SW going. I guess my problem was a litle more sticky than some. I saw several posts on several sites from angry people who had tried for a while to get this going.

I also tried the Windows Installer Cleanup. It was not the complete answer for me. I saw posts where it helped. Mainly these were when their uninstaller failed first.

I am not a Vista fan yet. I bought a Vista Premium HP Notebook and tried it. I found it tedious and went back to XP. Maybe with Vista SP1 I will try agaain. I am interested in the new Web development tools. But not sure about cross-browser support considerations.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:28 PM   #27
betterlate1
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
PIN: 20F3519A
Carrier: Non-Smoking AT&T

After uninstall of any Roxio or Sonic software, make absolutely sure to delete the associated registry folders and keys on XP machines. Don't know about Vista reg enough but I can tell you that Roxio/Sonic leaves a huge footprint on your computer. You must also disassociate windows installer with these programs using "Windows Install Clean Up" utility before you re-install. This is crucial if anyone "hypothetically" had a pirated version of Roxio/Sonic software using certain "cracks" unknowingly installed on their computer.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:11 AM   #28
BJDavey

Model: 8130
Carrier: alltel

I have a Blackberry 8130 used with XP software. When I first loaded the Desktop Manager, it included Roxio Media Manager. At the time, I thought RMM was bulky and slow when it first installed. Rather than try to uninstall it, I chose to ignore it and used drag and drop with a card reader to swap files on my memory card. Then one unfine day, Roxio Media Manager began to try to install upon start up. And, despite repeated efforts, it would not stop. GRRRR.

I found I could stop it and fix it by waiting upon startup for the rest of my programs to load then:

Step One
Open Task Manager.
In Applications, right click on the RMM install process
Left click on Go TO PROCESS
This step puts you on ISUSPM.exe.
Left click on END PROCESS

This only works until your next start. In the meantime, you will not be able to install anything else as RMM install is
running in the background. GRRRR.

Step Two
Go back to Task Manager, select PROCESSES
Find msiexec.exe
Left click on it and left click on END PROCESS

Step Three
Uninstall Blackberry Destop Manager and Roxio Media Manager

Step Four
Download and run Windows Install Clean Up utility at: support.microsoft.com/kb/290301. (Can't put hot link here due to forum restrictions on newbies. I trust you can figure it out.) If the install errors out because another install program is running, repeat Step Two

Step Five
Using Windows Install Clean Up utility, remove all instances of Roxio programs (I showed about four or five) If you are using Roxio for other things (after this I
can't imagine why), you can try to be selective. My strong advice would be to find alternative programs.

Step Six
Download and install Blackberry Desktop Manager without Roxio Media Manager. Get yourself a card reader and you can easily drag and drop from your hard drive to your media card.

I'm not sure it is good advice or if this was necessary, but I also manually deleted every file I could find for Blackberry and Roxio before reinstalling. Running Registry Mechanic afterwards turned up 2400 problems which were all fixed.

Last edited by BJDavey; 07-05-2008 at 11:21 AM..
Old 07-05-2008, 12:41 PM   #29
dpm_forum

Lightbulb Maybe helpful

It sounds like you are going OK.

A couple of thoughts are:
  1. Download ccleaner to control startup, clean the registry, etc.
  2. Use the startup manager to remove the RMM so it does not run at boot. There is an option to start RMM at boot that you select at install. You may have left it checked. I leave mine unchecked so it does not make booting take longer.
  3. The delete of all Sonic, Sonic Solutions, Roxio folders was necessary in my case. Seems like you need to do that also.
  4. You may want to run the ccleaner registry cleaner and registry optimizer after the surgery you did. This should make sure you system is 100%.

I see that the Roxio/BB download site let's you install the DM with or without RMM now. May be a good idea for some who want the backup/restore and synch tools but not RMM.

I subsequently installed Vista Business 32 and have been running it for a few months. When I loaded DM 4.2 SP2 it went OK. One possible issue is that you will get a permission error on the registry. This seems to depend on your version and release of the Vista OS. There are about 16 of them overall when you count: Home, Premium, Business, Ultimate; 32bit,64bit;OEM,Retail.

I added an article to another forum outlining how to deal with this. We dropped our BB in water and had to resuscitate it. A struggle that took a couple of weeks overall. If you need the permission info. or worse the water damage info. look at:

blackberryforums.pinstack.com/showthread.php?p=781864#post781864]8310 won't boot. - PinStack.com - BlackBerry forums

Hope this helps someone.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:01 PM   #30
kgambino
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
OK, u still use desktop manager for everything else. When u plug ur BB into ur puter, there should be a window that pops up. Select "View Folder" or "Explore Folder", after u select it, u can drag and drop pics, music or ring tones.
Hope this helps!
Thanks Lowrider. I kept getting error messages with install of 4.2 sp2 as well. I decided I didn't need that program. I am glad you gave me an alternative.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:28 PM   #31
Tazzie01

Carrier: Sprint

I have been having trouble with my Media Manager. The error reads "There is no device connected. Please connect your device in order to view its contents." But my device is connected. I have tried using mass media mode and not using it.
I am running Vista Home Premium.
I have Acer Aspire laptop.
I am running the latest DM and handheld update.
I recently had problems with my laptop OS and had to reinstall the OS. The OS would not boot up.
I can put music and photos on my media card while the card is in the phone using the F drive using the Drag and Drop method from the computer files.

I just want the Media Manager to work properly, can anyone please help?
Thanks
Old 07-05-2008, 02:54 PM   #32
dpm_forum

Does Microsoft Media Manager see the BB when you select the synch menu?

Is mass media (i.e. disk driver) selected on the BB when you get the error?
Old 07-05-2008, 06:46 PM   #33
ralsan2

Model: 8300
Carrier: t-mobile

PLEASE HELP!!

Ive been getting the Roxio Media Manager error message "Please wait while Windows configures Roxio Media Manager" or "Unable to find Certificate File," or "Please install CD to continue Roxio Media Manager installation." I was stupid and tried to solve the problem by uninstalling Roxio (I never recalled using a program by this name so I thought I just didnt need it). I could not uninstall it and all I could do is delete some Roxio related files. Anyway, I've been reading a lot on how to get rid of the error message. I went to manager on my computer, disabled windows install and downloaded the windows cleanup program. I also deleted the msicu.exe program from the task manager. Now I can't run the cleanup (it says can't be installed because I'm either on safe mode which I'm not of course, or I am installing some other program at the same time. Of course the Roxio keeps popping up and that's is why I can't install the cleaner although I disabled the win installation. I restarted the pc several times with no difference. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME I'm gonna shoot myself here!! What do I do to get rid of this ROXIO!? Oh I also tried to uninstall the desktop manager but that couldn't be done either
I'm really frustrated with this thing.. I'm begging for help!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-05-2008, 06:53 PM   #34
sugar
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: TMobile

Try this cleaner.
Download CCleaner 2.09.600 - FileHippo.com
Old 07-05-2008, 07:23 PM   #35
ralsan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugar View Post
I downloaded it and the free version had limited functions so I bought the full version and it didn't help. Nothing changed however this cleaner was able to open while the windows one mentioned in other threads would never open when the Roxio thing is popping up. Anyway I spent $34 for nothing. I'm desprate

HELP!
Old 07-05-2008, 08:34 PM   #36
ralsan2

Would formatting the pc help get rid of the freaken ROXIO?
Old 07-06-2008, 12:34 AM   #37
Tazzie01

Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm_forum View Post
Does Microsoft Media Manager see the BB when you select the synch menu?

Is mass media (i.e. disk driver) selected on the BB when you get the error?
When I meam the Media Manager, I mean the Roxio Media Manager.
Sorry, maybe I should have been more clear. I also tried formatting the micro card in the PC and the phone.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:22 PM   #38
BBnumbnuts

Model: 3303
Carrier: Verizon
Thumbs down Verizon! Blackberry! Roxio!,, shame on you!!

I cannot tell you all how much #$$% time Ive wasted on this crappy program and the "Tech support" from these 3 corps..
I just wanted what was advertised to me.I even asked for specifics regarding product ability as I didnt want to be disapointed.
I bit and and now days later.. Im still carrying an I-pod around to listen to music. What crap!!
Every feature of the BB is great except Roxio.
My curve is not recognized by Roxio yet its Serial number is viewable
on the BB desktop..? No 1-800-techy had the right ideas, it was my computer or lack of a media card or the BB program..
I could hear them thumbing through their notebooks and typing their web searches..CLUELESS there is clueless here.
Finally some techie advises I download a 3rd party file share from handango....
Ive had enough.. and this piece of junk is headed back to Verizon.
Too bad they sold me that junk too bad their tech staff is clueless and too bad I wasted SOOO MUCH of my time on CRAP!!
Roxio cost Verizon a sale and vererizon staff cost BB a sale.
Smart phone here I come.

Last edited by BBnumbnuts; 07-09-2008 at 10:24 PM..
Old 07-09-2008, 10:29 PM   #39
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Why do you come here to rant when you never asked for any help here?

Roxio works fine for me. I rarely use it, but it works fine.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:58 PM   #40
rstokc

Carrier: ATT

My problem with media manager is that it FUBARd my installation of Roxio MyDVD. I just use the mass storage mode now.
Closed Thread