Old 02-17-2006, 08:42 AM   #1
blkberryboy
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Repl.
Carrier: Cingular/ATT
Default Second Phone Sim Switch

Please Login to Remove!

Hey all,
I have found several posts that mention this however I am having a bit of a brain fart moment. I am looking to pick up a "weekend" handset; I find it inconvenient to take my BB to a hockey game, lost it twice already. It appears from other posts that I can switch out my SIM card I just don't have access to the internet and such. I should be able to use the phone I read. Will I have access to phone numbers since the BB doesnt store that info on the sim, If I was to save numbers on the SIM would it impact the BB. Does anyone else do this on a regular basis, and if so offer up any significant drawbacks other than lack of data. Again I am only doing this for ease of use on the weekend. I am fairly active an a BB isn't always conducive to my activities.

Last edited by blkberryboy; 02-17-2006 at 10:18 AM..
Old 02-17-2006, 12:14 PM   #2
jontalotta
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkberryboy
It appears from other posts that I can switch out my SIM card I just don't have access to the internet and such. I should be able to use the phone I read.
If you have a phone that will work on the same carrier as the BB, you can swap your SIM between devices. You may be able to access the Internet on the phone, but it will be at a high per kb rate, so be careful.
Quote:
Will I have access to phone numbers since the BB doesnt store that info on the sim, If I was to save numbers on the SIM would it impact the BB.
You will not have access to the BB's address book. You can save numbers onto the SIM for use with the phone. This should not affect the BB. But, you should leave the addresses that you copy onto the SIM in the BB's address book as well, so all contact info is readable at once on the BB (don't think you can scroll through BB and SIM addresses at the same time).
Quote:
Does anyone else do this on a regular basis, and if so offer up any significant drawbacks other than lack of data.
I have not done this on a regular basis, but have done it and it worked fine between a Cingular BB 7100g and an AT&T Moto T721 (I have an AT&T SIM).

The big drawback is that you risk damaging either the SIM or the device SIM trays whenever you remove and insert the card.

There are posts about making a duplicate SIM, having one in each device, and only having one device on at a time. It seems workable in theory, but no one has ever responded to questions about which carriers they have done this on successfully, and what tool works to make a duplicate SIM (I still would love that info if anyone wants to offer it now...).

Hope this helps,

JT
Old 02-17-2006, 12:59 PM   #3
blkberryboy
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Repl.
Carrier: Cingular/ATT

Thanks JT,
The phones will be on the same carrier, I just dont want to have to forward my calls to another number. When on the non-blackberry phone it will strictly for voice use, I have been stung with the data costs in the past, I hear ya. My biggest worry was the phone book. I have become "SIM stupid", meaning once the number is stored I dont try to memorize it. Anyway, I'll give it a shot. I may look into duplicating SIM cards, may be worht it in the long run.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:14 PM   #4
NNW

Model: 8700

Need some advice on the 8700 rebate deal, I'm floating on Cingular as an ex ATT account no committment. I have a GSM international phone with Data service for Siemens multi band. I want to keep my number, but add a new # for another basic non BB phone. Can I sign up for the 2 year contract via family plan and get the 8700c (with a new phone # the way I read it), add my existing # to the family plan with a basic non BB phone and then switch sim cards and use the 8700c with my phone #? I know I'll have to add the $49 bb use monthly charges. Any one know if this is how it would work? Does my phone # stay with the sim card. Thanks.
Closed Thread