Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 01:32 AM   #1
infernox
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t
Default BB with Memory Expansion, MP3, camera, etc

Please Login to Remove!

Don't know if this is a repost or not....but this is an article posted today 6/28/06.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1983066,00.asp

Would not mind the extra expansion card. I have no need for camera or MP3.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:51 AM   #2
k40jeep
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

GREAT FIND! I hadn't read bout that. Quite interesting how on one side he says they are branching out to meet the needs of everyday consumers via mp3 and such whlie on the other hand he is discussing the whole thing about security and stuff. Personally the mp3 is meh but the wifi and camera....yeah i could go for those. Plus if my 7130e was just a tad thinner....not asking for a q but it is a little thick. Other then that they are dead on the money.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:39 PM   #3
Mess
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: AT&T

I guess I'll wait until the end of the year to get a new berry. I have a 7105, but my contract with Cingular ends in September. I'm hating Cingular right now because of this stupid "AT&T Legacy" bullshit. I can't take advantage of the new Bberry data plan unless I change over to Cingular, but they don't offer any good phone plans comparable to the gem of a plan I have. I will be shopping around soon.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:57 AM   #4
mistWalker

Model: 8700g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess
I have a 7105, but my contract with Cingular ends in September. I'm hating Cingular right now because of this stupid "AT&T Legacy" bullshit. I can't take advantage of the new Bberry data plan unless I change over to Cingular, but they don't offer any good phone plans comparable to the gem of a plan I have. I will be shopping around soon.
I feel your pain. I no longer have Cingular and left for the reasons you cited. As to the upcoming BlackBerries, I am all for expansion, because I realize that these companies are not charities, but I find it interesting that the CEO cites security as RIM's number one priority, yet they are adding cameras to their devices. I know the CEO means security for data, but there are other security concerns, and unless certain companies/institutions/organizations change their policies on cameras in the workplace, then adding a camera does little to ensure security for certain companies/institutions/organizations. RIM needs to make sure that they offer a camera and a camera-less version of these devices. One of the reason I am a "Crackberry" addict is because BB devices have no cameras. I could certainly use expandable memory and/or a touch screen, among other features, but I currently have zero need for a camera.

Last edited by mistWalker; 07-03-2006 at 02:23 PM..
Old 07-02-2006, 10:05 AM   #5
twharms
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: Tmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistWalker
RIM needs to make sure that the offer a camera and a camera-less version of these devices. One of the reason I am a "Crackberry" addict is because BB devices have no cameras. I could certainly use expandable memory and/or a touch screen, among other features, but I currently have zero need for a camera.
I whole-heartedly agree. What's the big deal with camera phones anyways? you can go out and buy a camera for alot cheaper than you would pay for most camera phones. Plus the quality is crap....

But yeah, I definately need expandable memory, the touch screen I could live without. No stylus to lose and replace. as for the mp3 player....eh, I'll stick with my ipod.

just my two cents

PIN: 2031512F
Old 07-02-2006, 12:03 PM   #6
xxhiyanxx
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7520
Carrier: nextel

how often do you carry your camera around with you? i'm not yet at the "man bag" stage of my life.. sorry

when cell phones came out... alot of people said.. "why do you have to have a phone with you at all times?"
Old 07-02-2006, 12:42 PM   #7
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

My major problem with cell phone cameras is the resolution stinks!
So why bother?
Old 07-02-2006, 06:54 PM   #8
jungleland
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: BOLD
Carrier: At&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
My major problem with cell phone cameras is the resolution stinks!
So why bother?

Agree...But the two out of the three moments in my life when I NEEDED a camera, I did not have my SLR, so I had to use my Cell phone.

One time I caught the plate of a guy that ran over a kid on a bike and then did the old hit and run, I caught a shot of his plate. The other time I caught my buddies GF with another guy and the cell phone camera acted as proof..

The third time I had my Canon SLR and that was when I met Bruce Springsteen.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:49 PM   #9
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
RIM needs to make sure that the offer a camera and a camera-less version of these devices.
If they do that, it will dramatically compromise security AND your ability to bring your BlackBerry onsite at SOME organizations, even if yours doesn't have a camera. Right now, some organizations prohibit all cell phones & PDAs, but allow BlackBerry devices. Why is that? Largely because they don't want to take the time to check each and every phone and PDA to see IF it has a camera or removable memory or not. They KNOW that your BlackBerry doesn't, by definition - so IT is allowed. As soon as SOME BlackBerry devices have cameras, than for security purposes, it becomes just another phone/PDA as far as security and being allowed on premise.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:05 PM   #10
dulcamara

Model: 9810
Carrier: ATT

DallasFlier speaks the truth. I do business at a few gummit places where a well armed uniformed officer inspects my stuff when I enter the site. These people wave a BB right through. If they had to inspect it for a camera or removable memory, they be unhappy at the waste of time (at a minimum) and might ban them altogether.

RIM will probably do this, but it won't make my life any easier.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:25 PM   #11
mistWalker

Model: 8700g

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier
If they do that, it will dramatically compromise security AND your ability to bring your BlackBerry onsite at SOME organizations, even if yours doesn't have a camera. Right now, some organizations prohibit all cell phones & PDAs, but allow BlackBerry devices. Why is that? Largely because they don't want to take the time to check each and every phone and PDA to see IF it has a camera or removable memory or not. They KNOW that your BlackBerry doesn't, by definition - so IT is allowed. As soon as SOME BlackBerry devices have cameras, than for security purposes, it becomes just another phone/PDA as far as security and being allowed on premise.
Oh, I agree. I was just saying that since they plan to add a camera anyway, that a camera-less version should also be an option. I prefer they not add a camera at all, but that's just wishful thinking.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:39 AM   #12
jeffharris
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Oh, I agree. I was just saying that since they plan to add a camera anyway, that a camera-less version should also be an option. I prefer they not add a camera at all, but that's just wishful thinking.
Even rudimentary image capture, while on the go, can have more useful purposes, then negative ones. I don't actually "miss" my pocket PC camera phone, but, there are times, where capturing an image can be quite useful, and I wish I had it -- especially for proof of urgent or important moments for later use, or to recall something unusual, etc...

Jeff
www.jeffharris.com
Old 07-06-2006, 11:51 AM   #13
7520VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulcamara
DallasFlier speaks the truth. I do business at a few gummit places where a well armed uniformed officer inspects my stuff when I enter the site. These people wave a BB right through. If they had to inspect it for a camera or removable memory, they be unhappy at the waste of time (at a minimum) and might ban them altogether.

RIM will probably do this, but it won't make my life any easier.

this is actually bad practice, and a security breach is sure to occur if they do not even check the blackberry. what if you took a camera-phone of similar dimensions and slapped it in your blackberry holster with a blackberry sticker across the back? it's also very easy to gut a blackberry and put a thumb drive in it and you're now a walking 64MB-16+GB hard drive that can run code or take data from any machine you have access to.

what they could do is make the camera versions a distinctly different shape and color, but again it is up to the organization to check these devices, as one could simply color it or whatever.

I'm all for 2 versions, if there was a nextel bberry with sd (or better xd) card, smart card reader, possibly fingerprint reader, 1MP or better camera, and decent built in memory (512MB+) i would drop my current cell phone and blackberry duo for it.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:52 PM   #14
stripesace

Model: 8300
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7520VA
what if you took a camera-phone of similar dimensions and slapped it in your blackberry holster with a blackberry sticker across the back? it's also very easy to gut a blackberry and put a thumb drive in it and you're now a walking 64MB-16+GB hard drive that can run code or take data from any machine you have access to.
Wow! that took some upperlevel thinking right there!
Old 07-06-2006, 03:46 PM   #15
7520VA

lol

i'm not saying this is a work-around, or to try it, or anything like that. just commenting on a security policy of waving blackberries through. Now *that* is upper level stuff for sure
Old 07-06-2006, 04:02 PM   #16
Dale Emery
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130e
Carrier: Verizon

Interesting points from opposite views.

BB has to offer a camera to compete for new markets, yet without alienating/compromising value for current market share. After reading this post, doesn't it seem that RIM's top reason for no pics (security issue) isn't as strong? The 'security issue' I believed in and used for so long shouldn't hold water since the user can manipulate the BB for any motive. I understand there are different levels of security and that companies, health clubs, etc may not allow cameras for a variety of non-espionage reasons but high-level security areas sadly shouldn't allow any of these devices.

I guess RIM could come out with a line that is all silver (like a treo, etc) to differentiate, which would solve the problem fro RIM but also validate the 'points' of their competitors' arguments. At any rate, it's interesting to watch a company try to carve out a niche in a young industry.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:08 PM   #17
TheWuternal
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint Nextel

I honestly could care less about adding other features to a BB - all I really want right now for it is real ringtones (I carry a 7100i). For everything else I carry an i930.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:23 AM   #18
garagemusic

Model: 7100r

wholeheartedly agree with the camera security issue.

I work in a health care facility camera phones are the major reason (even beyond freq. concerns) that we do not allow those devices in patient care areas.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:08 PM   #19
InPocket

Model: 8330
Carrier: VZW

Adding to the Blackberry Blueprints recenly posted, it could possibly be a technology that allows the Blackberry to recieve photos from a bluetooth camera. It could be such a way that you can take a pictutre with a regular camera and use your blackberry to email the photo. Thus, no security issues, no problems
Old 07-11-2006, 06:48 PM   #20
ntjones
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

You know what? Every time someone says they don't want a camera for blah, blah, blah reasons....I'm gonna make a post saying I can't wait for a camera and all the other MM functionality! Bring it on RIM!